gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484587 Posts in 28410 Topics by 2463 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert August 14, 2020, 06:44:10 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  General Chit Chat  |  Microsoft...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Microsoft...  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Zeo

• Angel of Vengence
  • Founder
  • Chaos Angel
    • View Profile
Microsoft...
« on: March 05, 2002, 08:31:27 AM »
I don't agree with that.

MS was originally ONLY an OS.  Novell had a virtual monoply on networking

NOW MS and Novell are each 40% of the market.  MS deos indeed have the resources to challenge existing copanies, and will in the future. MSN is gearing up to tke on AOL right now....

X-box, while not pefect, is gaing power, SEGA's DEAD! and Nintendo is losing thier primary audience, the Nintendo Generation........and X-box is picking them up..... the ONLY thing saving Nintendo is Cpacom's intervention with the Oracles games, and thier hidden involvement bolstering the flagging Sega team for their Nintedo products. I don't care what you say, Sonic Advanced REEKS of Capcom's involvement..........

The Triple Entente of Nintendo, SEGA, And Capcom, and the Duet of Square and Sony are the only obstacles for Gates right now in that market, and both Sony and Nintendo are on some what shaky ground............

All cats have an attitude problem, just most have figured out humans are better at the game.

Truthful words are not beautiful; beautiful words are not truthful. Good words are not persuasive; persuasive words are not good.
Lao Tzu

Offline Truth Spirit Aura

• Xuyun!
  • Blessed With Thunder!
    • View Profile
    • Just Like (a) Human
Microsoft...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2002, 01:29:46 AM »
let me begin.

Emaleth:
   Try not using the 9x kernel.
I've crashed WinXP twice since install in.. october?
and both times were my fault: playing with the hardware when it wasn't read (tip: don't try to burn a CD when you just installed the burning software and didn't bother to reboot to init the ASPI layer. :p)
I rarely managed to crash Win2000. most of the time, it was the unstable alpha/beta type software I was running that took me out.

Sega Talks:
    Actually, Sega's released some stuff for the PoS2, as well.
in the console hardware market, yes, Sega is dead.
but Sega still has arcade hardware and their games.
prolly half of these arcade games now use one of Sega's Naomi class boards.

XBox:
bother to play one of these for more than 5 minutes?
decent system, even though M$ has a claw in on it. ;x
graphics are rather nice, although the box itself could nearly replace Megumi/2, in reference to the size. Yes, it is bigger than a laptop. ;o

OT: Windows in a car?
heh. not a new idea to me.
people already have boxen in their cars with Linux on them, so they can play MP3s in teh car while driving. :p
...but we don't need Windows in the car.
What when it crashes? :p

neh, sleepy. done.

Just keep running, falling, till you reach the border. There you reach out, find out: Blessed with all the Thunder of the World.
Homeless isn't a fad. It's sweeping our nation, however. I'm all swept up in it. ;_;
Get a better browser. Mozilla, Camino, and Mozilla Firefox. Opera. Experience the internet in a new light.

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
Microsoft...
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2002, 09:11:49 PM »
Here is a question.  As Microsoft continues to expand outside of the PC market (or even in the PC market) where would you think that the line should be drawn so that the giant can't take anything else over.

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about:

With thier latest OS, WinXP, (which I have) I found an extra user acount for Microsoft employees to connect to your PC and view your desktop over the internet. (They say it's there because it will allow them to provide better help and support.)

Then of course there is the X-Box game console.  While it has a lot of power and can deliever a very good looking game, I've heard that 1 out of every 6 that you can buy off the shelves don't work or crash (which I cannot confirm, but have heard from reliable sources).  Right now I don't think it's a threat to other consoles, but still.

Lastly, by now you've all heard about those mini-computers in some newer cars today.  They often provide things like road map assistance and so on.  Today I recieved an article (to bad I didn't save it) from USA Today that talked about Microsoft comming up with a version of Windows to run in the cars.  My opinion, if Windows can crash my computer then why would I want a version in my car?

I'm curious if anyone else has noticed something like this.

DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
Microsoft...
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2002, 03:38:48 PM »
That is so true. Microsoft has in the past encrouched upon other markets and has established a steady foothold in those markets (i.e. MSN).  However it wouldn't be a problem if they were not so big.  If they were still a smaller company like back in the Windows 95 days I wouldn't mind so much about them entering other markets, but now it's almost beyond getting out of hand.  Fortunatly I don't see any chance of the X-Box surviving very long in the gaming market. *sigh* Can anybody remember the good old days of the gaming world when Sega and Nintendo were the biggest competitors in the gaming industry? http://www.forums.thegaminguniverse.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':('>
DDOEQ2

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
Microsoft...
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2002, 07:06:24 PM »
Oh geez you beat me.  XP has only crashed on me once and under dire circumstances.  (I kind of overloaded it...) :p

Yes, I agree that the NT kernal has more power, stability, and performs better than the 9.x kernel.  However it also brings in new security holes such as XP's new universal plug and play.

Along with XP I still have good old Win98 for certain things because it still has DOS support which I still need.
DDOEQ2

Offline Emaleth

• View Profile
    • http://www.dreunoctem.com/
Microsoft...
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2002, 03:46:06 AM »
Hmm, hard subject, mainly because I've always believed that if you go for a dream and succeed, then good for you.  But that can also make it turn around and bite you.  Having a monopoly on things isn't necessarily a good thing and having something that isn't perfection (which nothing is in this world), can & will make others go to the little people or stay with older versions.

Myself, for example, have only Win 98, I don't plan on updating anytime soon due to the fact that I get the impression that Microsoft takes several years to 'weed' out its bugs.  So far I haven't had 98 crash on me and I have heard about 50/50 that all other programs after 98 have crashed.

Business wise, not counting mistakes he has made or more to come, good for him as he goes for what he wants.  But with that, he also has to endure the bad and he has plenty of lawyers to deal with that for him.  As do all major businesses.

Myself, I like my older cars, and I also like my 'physical' maps, something I can feel & touch and maybe being from the 'old school', I trust myself more than I trust someone else... a computer.

It isn't fair business though to put a monopoly on things, keeps the newer, much smaller businesses from succeeding as fast, but that is a way of life.  It's a dog eat dog world.

And if I concentrated on how many times I am being watched on the net from where I go, then I'd go crazy, so I just ignore it.  lol

Offline Zeo

• Angel of Vengence
  • Founder
  • Chaos Angel
    • View Profile
Microsoft...
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2002, 06:58:52 PM »
Yeah, and Now Nintendo and Sega are on the same team against MS.
All cats have an attitude problem, just most have figured out humans are better at the game.

Truthful words are not beautiful; beautiful words are not truthful. Good words are not persuasive; persuasive words are not good.
Lao Tzu

Offline Overlord

• Demon Eye
  • Founder
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thegaminguniverse.com
Microsoft...
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2002, 05:54:05 AM »
Well I can pretty much guarantee that Microsoft will not gain a monopoly on the Games market. They only have the PC monopoly because they were there at the start. If they venture into other places they will be competing with older, more experienced experts in that field.

X Box has obviously improved, just before release it was 2 out of 3 that failed on startup  http://www.forums.thegaminguniverse.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':rolleyes:'>

Anything PC related seems to be MS world, but anything that already has a leader, is off limits, they can try, but they will fail.
[email protected]
-- Retired Head Administrator --
- Advisor -

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
Microsoft...
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2002, 08:07:12 PM »
Yeah, up to now I never would have thought that Sega and Nintendo would be on the same team.  It's strange what one company can do sometimes...
DDOEQ2

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  General Chit Chat  |  Microsoft...

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.203 seconds with 19 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx