gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484569 Posts in 28409 Topics by 2464 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert November 22, 2019, 05:21:06 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  The Future Gaming
gfx
gfxgfx

Poll

Where do you sit?

Linux is the gaming platform of the future of PC gaming
1 (33.3%)
Cloud gaming platforms like Google Stadia are the future
0 (0%)
Consoles are still here and I'm sticking with them
0 (0%)
Windows will remain the dominant platform forever for PC gaming
1 (33.3%)
VR will eventually kill PC gaming when it becomes cheap and easy to setup
0 (0%)
Other, see my post
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: The Future Gaming  (Read 299 times)

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
The Future Gaming
« on: October 01, 2019, 09:01:59 PM »
By now we've probably all heard it all. Arguments from all sides and each with their own merits while some are also sounding like complete nonsense. So what does GU think about the future of gaming?

TL:DR - I'm in the camp of Linux being the future for gaming.

For me I have worked in the IT space for about 15 years now after graduating college and my experience in the IT field supporting PCs and servers has taught me that Windows is a fundamentally broken platform for many, many reasons. I won't go off topic into the details which would put many a gamer to sleep, but TL:DR Windows is not easy to work with. Things like seeing your FPS drop after an update that need another update to fix that which should not have been broken or breaking support for some older games that worked previously that now need to be manually tweaked by the gamer to get them to run or perform better, or breaking them to the point where the game developers need to patch it are just the tip of the iceberg. As much as I've bashed Microsoft in the past and will continue to do so, it's not out of malice towards them, but frustration. Frustration bred from their uncanny ability to make poor decisions and keep breaking otherwise working working systems. Honestly, they do keep me employed in IT because things keep breaking, but that's also the fundamental problem I have them and why I can't be bothered to run their broken software at home.

On the other hand, Linux has crossed many milestones when it comes to gaming support and with Proton from Steam and distributions like Pop!_OS being built with gaming-centric tweaks already being done out of the box, people can now finally run a crap ton of games on Linux with minimal effort and without seeing a command line and having to edit config files. If something doesn't work with Proton or is not on Steam, there's Lutris which will get many games (and launchers) working for the gamer without having to do any manual tweaking. AMD GPUs are extremely well supported and even nVidia is stepping up on bettering their driver support now as well. Basically the only time one goes to the terminal or into WINE directly is to do things themselves for games that others haven't gotten working yet or if one thinks they can do better. That being said, it's not perfect and there are some bone headed decisions that have been made in the past coughubuntucough and there will be more stupid decisions made in the future, it doesn't change that fundamentally, it's a forward thinking platform that can shape itself to any task at hand so I'm looking forward to seeing how it continues to shape itself for running games. It's already running some Windows games at higher frame rates than what Windows can run them at (on the same hardware) so we shall see.
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
Re: The Future Gaming
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 10:07:54 AM »
I disagree. Why? Because the general populace is ignorant. And greatly afraid of linux. There is no valid reason behind it, but that's how it is.

There's also the fact that in general, most games that are getting high focus in the PC gaming arena are based off of Unreal or the other engine I can't remember the name of, and they're buggy as all hells, at times.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Gallant Samurai

• Executive
  • There is a 5% chance you are Kira
    • View Profile
Re: The Future Gaming
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 01:44:51 AM »
Mobile, but not anything like we have now. Switch is breaking ground and accessibility is becoming increasingly attractive to consumers. Then Lavos hits and we're back to square 1.

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  The Future Gaming

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.143 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx