gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484339 Posts in 28382 Topics by 2466 Members - Latest Member: Second Channel July 17, 2018, 05:53:40 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  GU Reporter  |  Cover Story  |  Atari VCS up for Preorder.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Atari VCS up for Preorder.  (Read 346 times)

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
Re: Atari VCS up for Preorder.
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2018, 05:39:46 PM »
For one thing, it's not just another console. It can be set up with a linux distro and made to do more than just play games from Atari's distribution means and stream stuff from the streaming apps. I'm also under the impression that it can be set up to use as a Steam box, which increases its usefulness even further.

You keep going back to "it's just a quick cash grab." Prove it. Atari started the console era. Not Nintendo, not Sega, not Sony, and DEFINITELY not Microsoft. What do the "Big 2" have that makes them a better choice? Besides platform specific games (which is a thing I hate, and have hated for twenty years)? Oh, that's right. Credibility. They're a proven concept. There's a long list of things you probably have in your home that weren't a proven concept when they were released. The Switch was one of them.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2018, 01:11:21 PM »
For me, there's no such thing as "too many consoles". Most consoles fail (the big 3 are the exception not the rule, if you take into account every console ever produced), but sometimes making the attempt can be for the betterment of others since mistakes can be learned from.

As for it being a cash grab, I can kind of see why people think that with pre-orders being done on Indiegogo, but Atari's already funded it for release. I don't see any harm in getting some of that spent revenue back early so they can port games, add stuff, or maybe just to deal with manufacturing costs so they can release more VCS consoles. Making consoles is hard and expensive as many failed attempts can attest.

Not sure why you guys prefer this over the big 3 (even though microsoft is a joke atm).. but your money.

Big 4 if you include PC. I bring up PC because unlike the other consoles, the VCS is actually just a PC stuffed into a small box and comes with controllers instead of a keyboard to be used as a console. The reason why I'm excited for it is because it's an open system from a well known brand, Atari. PCs are only truly open if they're running an open Linux based OS (not every Linux OS can be considered truly open) or some other opensource OS (EX: FreeBSD), but in doing so you loose out on a lot of the games. It's gotten better but SquareEnix, and others still don't port a lot of games to Linux. I want to see Linux gaming take center stage someday, even in console form. Unlike the SteamOS boxes, the VCS feels different. Like it may have a chance to perform well enough to shake things up a bit and bring more developers to making/porting games to Linux.

For me, gaming moving to an open platform would be the largest advancement since Nintendo and Sega resurrected the gaming world back in the 80s. While Windows and other platforms continue to close themselves off to the end user and take more control away from them, moving all my gaming to an open platform where I know I'm in control again it's pretty important to me.
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2018, 06:25:16 PM »
There's also "I like swords" ;p
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Dandel

• Global Moderator
  • Accepted
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 08:23:53 PM »
Updated my first post to include information about the Atari VCS Tribute console which is simply the Atari VCS with wood panel on front and lacking the certificate of authenticity.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 03:00:21 PM »
Just a quick note. The preorder is over, but you can still purchase the Atari VCS and controller perks, they'll just be delivered later (assumably). I'll be taking advantage of this to get my hands on the controllers, myself.

The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  GU Reporter  |  Cover Story  |  Atari VCS up for Preorder.

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.125 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx