gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484574 Posts in 28409 Topics by 2464 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert December 15, 2019, 11:26:19 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  GU Reporter  |  Cover Story  |  Atari VCS up for Preorder.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Atari VCS up for Preorder.  (Read 2354 times)

Offline Dandel

• Global Moderator
  • Accepted
    • View Profile
Atari VCS up for Preorder.
« on: May 30, 2018, 11:18:54 AM »
The Atari VCS console is up for preorder now. The new information on this is as follows...

Preorder Time frame: Today, May 30th, 2018 to June 30th 2018 (estimated, all the page says is a month is left.).

Pre-order Options:
  • Atari VCS Onyx Console - This is the main console only. Controllers sold separately
  • Atari VCS Onyx console w/ classic joystick and modern controller
  • Atari VCS Tribute - This is simply the console Only, and controllers will be sold separately.
  • Atari VCS Tribute w/ classic and Modern Controllers.
  • Atari Classic Joystick
  • Atari Modern Controller
  • Atari Classic Joystick and modern controller
  • The Following are no longer available:
    • Atari VCS Onyx console w/ classic joystick
    • Atari VCS Collectors Edition console w/ classic joystick - this is a preorder exclusive.
    • Atari VCS Collectors Edition console w/ classic joystick and modern controller - this is a preorder exclusive.

New Hardware Details: (For full list of information see the Indiegogo campaign)
  • Atari Classic Controller
    • Bluetooth connectivity
    • USB Type-C Plug - This is a great connector I wish the Steam controller had. This is reversible.
    • Built-in rechargeable battery
    • PC And Android compatible
  • Atari Modern Controller
    • Bluetooth connectivity
    • USB Type-C Plug - This is a great connector I wish the Steam controller had. This is reversible.
    • Built-in rechargeable battery
    • PC And Android compatible
  • Atari VCS Console - These Features are common to both the Onyx and collectors edition of the console.
    • CPU - AMD A10-9630P (  see: Wikipedia under Bristol Ridge.)
    • Graphics - Radeon R5 ( Third Generation Graphics Core Next (GCN))
    • Ram - 4GB DDR4 memory
    • Storage: 32GB eMMC - This means internal storage is not upgrade-able, but the console fully supports both microSD Cards and external hard drives.
    • Hardware Ports: HDMI 2.0, 4x USB 3.0
    • Cross-game Chat - Built in support for Skype, Discord, etc.
    • Keyboard and mouse are fully supported
    • built-in Screen casting functions

Note 1: The hardware specifications are subject to change. I believe most likely the changes will be mainly improvements which will increase performance.

Note 2: If you want to compare this console to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, It is worth noting that the Atari VCS currently uses third Generation graphics while the other consoles are on second generation graphics.

Edits: June 6, 2018 - Updated Console specifications in regards to Processor and graphics.
June 12, 2018 - The Wood editions of the Atari VCS are no longer available. These ended on June 11th, 2018.
June 15, 2018 - A new release of the Wood edition of the Atari  VCS is now up. It appears the Collectors edition simply had some minor additions like a certificate of authenticity.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 08:22:39 PM by Dandel »

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
Re: Atari VCS up for Preorder.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 12:55:10 PM »
I'm extremely interested in this project, but unfortunately, I won't be able to pre-order. I just threw down most of the spare money I had on an electric longboard for transportation reasons. :/

I love how high the money raised is, already, though. ;D
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Dandel

• Global Moderator
  • Accepted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 02:18:12 AM »
I'm extremely interested in this project, but unfortunately, I won't be able to pre-order. I just threw down most of the spare money I had on an electric longboard for transportation reasons. :/

I love how high the money raised is, already, though. ;D

Yea, and The Atari VCS crowdfunding campaign accomplished an impressive feat... Crashing the Indiegogo website.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 09:26:53 AM »
Haha, nice!
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 06:56:08 PM »
Looks good, I'll pre-order this Saturday after I get paid. XD
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 07:12:18 AM »
What's also getting a lot of attention for this is their Youtube ads. I was on there for a good bit yesterday, and I saw it like three times. This was obviously driven by my browsing history, but still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcbUBYJoqHw

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 09:07:51 AM »
My pre-order is done now XD.

I'm looking forward to it next year. This looks like it'll be a cool console and even if the games don't go anywhere at least I'll have a useful open system to play with.

I'm going for the wooden one. :)
DDOEQ2

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 06:31:42 PM »
I managed to get enough up for the console only Onyx edition. I hope the controllers won't be super bad when they're available after release, as I'd like to use them with certain types of games. Plus the retro controller is just awesome looking

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 08:51:21 PM »
Agreed, I have high hopes for the controllers, but since it'll support the other PC controllers at least we'll be able to use what we already have just in case.
DDOEQ2

Offline Dandel

• Global Moderator
  • Accepted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 09:40:25 AM »
A minor update on specifications. The actual processor used is now in place, and it's a reasonably good processor.

Offline KingOfHumans

• Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 09:47:36 PM »
ATARI IS NOW CONFIRMED TO BE A SCAMMED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qho51UscRU

Offline Dandel

• Global Moderator
  • Accepted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 09:47:05 AM »
ATARI IS NOW CONFIRMED TO BE A SCAMMED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qho51UscRU

First off... Ya might want to get your Caps lock key checked, you may have broken this key during your fanatical typing. I watched the video you posted on the website, and honestly this guy is probably blowing a lot of smoke. There is a few key issues with the sources the guy has mentioned.

Issue 1: The console is complete scam according to your source... This is a complete farce from a guy who is simply aiming at getting money out of idiots watching his YouTube channel because YouTube pays him after so many views. In reality Atari has stated all along that the console would be released regardless of any Crowdfunding results. This is critical since it means this company is actively paying for all of the Research and Development directly first.

Issue 2: Atari has not released any footage of actual games Running on the Atari VCS... You seem to fail to realize that Atari is still a major Video game publisher. The source you chose on YouTube has also failed to take this into account, and clearly needs to take a few minutes to actually look at the list of Video Game Intellect Property (IP) that is owned by Atari, Inc ( aka Atari, SA ).

Issue 3: The Atari VCS Hardware is a fake... You need to look at the hardware companies that Atari chose to partner with to create the actual gaming Device. All of these companies have some form of experience in creating Video game hardware.

• Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (aka AMD) -  This company is responsible for both the Processor and Video card found in the current video game consoles ( see Playstation 4, and Xbox One ).
  • Flex - This company was originally called Flextronics, and this company has years of experience in Designing and manufacturing electronics. Flex also has years of experience in manufacturing video game consoles, and is responsible for Manufacturing the Microsoft Xbox, and one of the companies responsible for Manufacturing the Microsoft Xbox, Microsoft Xbox 360, and Microsoft Xbox One.
  • Power A - I believe this is a brand of Bensussen Deutsch & Associates, LLC. There is not a lot of information regarding this company, but I do know that this company started making Video game accessories around 2009, and actually releasing controllers for video game systems in 2010. Also, I figure your probably eyeing the branded Nintendo Switch controllers produced by this company.

Issue 4: Tempest 4000 (Link to game's website) is not a title for the Atari VCS. You really need to read the footer of the web page for The Tempest 4000 game. The web page clearly states that Atari, Inc owns the Trademark, and is the publisher of this game. The fact that Atari is both the publisher, and owner of the Copyright means that they do not haft to use Llamasoft, LTD to develop the Atari VCS port of this game. Most likely the contracts between Llamasoft, LTD. and Atari, Inc include clauses where the original development files ( This includes source code, sound files, and graphics files to make the game ) are in possession of Atari, Inc. With these files Atari, Inc is able to hire another developer to handle the porting of the game.

Update on Issue 4: It turns out that Atari was planning on having Llamasoft handle porting Tempest 4000 to the Atari VCS but happened to fail to actually coordinatewith the original Developer. This is what lead to the denial made on May 21st, 2018 (link to Llamasoft's forum). The latest update was Yesterday ( June 8th, 2018) when the developer of Tempest 4000 created a post confirming the Atari VCS port of Tempest 4000 ( link to post) will be handled by Llamasoft. Also, The developer says the port will be done properly (link to post) since there is plenty of time.

Edits:
June 8, 2018 - Fix typos.
June 9, 2018 - Major update on Tempest 4000. It turns out that Llamasoft is making the Atari VCS port of Tempest 4000.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 09:16:22 AM by Dandel »

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 10:28:53 AM »
ONE claim is not going to make something true, KoH. Especially when you take into consideration the scope of advertisement that Atari has already taken in this project. They have OFFICIAL advertisements ON YOUTUBE. Do you really think they would do that if it were just hype?

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 07:19:49 PM »
And this is why getting news from Youtube is a double-edged sword. On one hand there are a few youtubers out there that actually do a decent job of researching things calmly and objectively and can give a rational presentation of their findings. That said, there are also a lot of youtubers that jump on the latest bandwagon with the most common opinion of a subject and it quickly becomes a competition of "Come watch me! I'll tell you why the latest thing sucks!" "No! No! No! Come to me, I know more about why the latest thing sucks!"

The later is rampant on Youtube and does not qualify as actual journalism, but a lot of those channels have gotten so good at dressing it up that it's pretty easy to fall for it. In addition, it's not unheard of for some of the better channels to occasionally jump on the bandwagon to get some extra views from time to time and that ruins their credibility. To this day, I'm not aware of any gaming channel on Youtube that has not fallen into jumping on the bandwagon for extra views at least once.

It does not mean we shouldn't believe any of them since a lot of them do get it right, but doesn't mean we should stop scrutinizing them either (I would put the mass media in the same boat but that's another topic for another time).

When KoH posted the link, it was an attempt to use a video from a guy who appears to have posted multiple videos already bashing the VCS and was already on a hunt for finding anything he could use to bash it again as evidence. This is not actual evidence of a scam. It amounts to "See! I told you so! This other hater of all things VCS said so, it must be true!" This is rumor and Dandel has already expertly dispelled it.

KoH, if you want to make the claim that the the VCS is a scam, please give us an objective rational argument backed up by evidence. I'm genuinely curious as to why you are so dead set against it and what the VCS has done to set you off to hate it so much that you won't give it a chance (if that's not the case I apologize, but that's the impression I'm getting).
DDOEQ2

Offline KingOfHumans

• Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2018, 12:00:08 PM »
Too many consoles, and I seen other companies make garbage consoles and abandoned it quickly.
Honestly I could care less about the atari, it's just a quick cash grab.

Not sure why you guys prefer this over the big 3 (even though microsoft is a joke atm).. but your money.

The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  GU Reporter  |  Cover Story  |  Atari VCS up for Preorder.

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.23 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx