gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484375 Posts in 28384 Topics by 2466 Members - Latest Member: Second Channel September 20, 2018, 11:37:25 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  Chrono Trigger ported to Steam>
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger ported to Steam>  (Read 169 times)

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger ported to Steam>
« on: May 27, 2018, 07:02:47 PM »
Ok, I missed this when it came out, but Squeenix apparently released a PC port of Chrono Trigger back in February of this year. The reviews are mixed, but there have been two patches (the latest released May 16), so I dunno if it's worth picking up or not. Like many RPG fans, I loved this game on the SNES, and I will eventually add it to my collection.

Note that this is supposedly an updated version (possibly just the PSX port?). To quote the store page on Steam: "As the definitive version of CHRONO TRIGGER, not only have the controls been updated, the graphics and sound have also been revamped to make your adventure even more fun and enjoyable to play. To complete your journey, also included is the mysterious ‘Dimensional Vortex’ dungeon and the forgotten ‘Lost Sanctum’ dungeon. Meet the challenges presented to you and long-lost secrets may be revealed..."

Priced regularly at $14.99, it can be found here.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:02:45 AM by Rowan »
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger ported to Steam>
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 12:55:13 PM »
I got it not too long after it came out and it was probably the crappiest port Squeenix has ever put out. The UI was basically the mobile UI from the mobile port and looked like crap and the font hurt my eyes, the CG cut scenes were blurry as hell and the "high res" graphics were so poorly put together that you could see the seems on almost every tile since nothing lined up like it was supposed to. All in all, it was an awful mess that should've never happened to one of the best RPGs of all time.

Secret of Mana (in spite of the problems) had such better treatment in its remake that to say CT fans were outraged is probably the understatement of the year.

To give you an idea of how bad the initial release was, I've seen quick and dirty RPG Maker games with stock graphics give a better presentation than that port of CT.

Given Squeenix's habit of shoveling ports to PC with minimum effort, I'm surprised that they finally listened to the outrage of the gamers, but glad that something finally got through to them. The first update made it a little better by bringing back the SNES graphics, and the second update fixed the UI a little bit as well and I see the influence of I Am Setsuna in it, but since I Am Setsuna plays much like how CT originally did on the SNES they should've gone further for the UI fixes. They still have other issues they need to fix in it. The font is still really bad, there's still too much of a mobile UI feel with giant buttons, and to be honest, as much as I love the SNES version, I really want them to fix the high res graphics. The SNES graphics look better but on a high resolution monitor I feel like they can do better.

Right now it's still probably best to play the ROM on an emulator, but they have at least made some progress. Even if they do fix all the problems, they at this point owe it to fans to do a proper remake of CT.
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 09:54:20 PM »
It's on sale until August 28th for $7.49, That's 50% off :o
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 12:30:17 AM »
Well with the changes and fixes they've made in the all the updates, it's well worth it for that price if anyone doesn't have the PC port yet. I think the damage done for all the initial problems and the problems they created with the updates and having to update the updates to fix the new problems has set in though. They probably got a few sales for 50% off, but I'm thinking the damage done may have sealed their fate with a lot of people.

I hope this has been a lesson for the folks at SquareEnix and they start spending more time on getting ports done correctly. I'm glad I stuck with it until they fixed what they did, but I'm still bitter over it needing a huge backlash and dragging their once good name through horse crap to get them to do better.
DDOEQ2

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 11:07:19 AM »
Honestly, they must not care. If I am remembering correctly, every game they've ported to Winblows from the SNES and Playstation eras has been riddled with bugs on release. It's almost like they don't care.

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 09:11:56 PM »
They care. They just have different priorities. They want quick cash grabs for sub par work they can use for other projects and/or for C-level employee bonuses. A few frustrated gamers is nothing to them. It's strictly business and yada yada yada.

However, Chrono Trigger was somehow different enough to prompt them to make an effort to fix things. After sending so many classic games down the crapshoot they finally hit the breaking point with what many people consider to be the best JRPG of all time that still holds up over most of the new JRPGs out there. They finally got burned.

The initial port of Chrono Trigger was so bad that if they did a remake of it in the style of what they did for Secret of Mana, it wouldn't have been so bad for them. At least then we could say they were trying something new with the game instead of doing a lazy port. It's too bad too since I liked the Secret of Mana port they did even though it was buggy and some really bad censoring going on (I still can't get past seeing 'heck hounds' instead of 'hell hounds').

I hope this sent a message to their higher ups and decision makers, but some games are pretty good ports with modern ones like Final Fantasy XV. They're also adding in DLSS and Ray-tracing to FFXV for people getting the new nVidia RTX cards so at least they are committed to some games. They just need to show more respect to the older games that got them to where they are now.
DDOEQ2

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  Chrono Trigger ported to Steam>

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.147 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx