gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484275 Posts in 28370 Topics by 2466 Members - Latest Member: Second Channel May 25, 2018, 03:47:33 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  Discussion  |  GU Reporter remodel
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: GU Reporter remodel  (Read 415 times)

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
Re: GU Reporter remodel
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 03:33:13 PM »
Ok, I seem to be one step closer. Now I just need to figure out how to get the formatting working on the board. When I load the forum using https, it appears to strip the CSS out of the page. I'll keep working on it tonight.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 06:45:35 PM »
Cool, sounds like you're pretty much at the end game now. XD

Sounds like you may have some absolute path links in the theme there it references the whole URL complete with http:// instead of relative links.

~Edit

When you get HTTPS working correctly, don't forget to put in an HTTP 301 redirect so that when people try HTTP they get flipped over to HTTPS automatically, (I do this by hand at work, but I imagine it's a an option somewhere in cPanel). ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 07:04:42 PM by Golden Warrior »
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 10:48:31 AM »
Sounds like you may have some absolute path links in the theme there it references the whole URL complete with http:// instead of relative links.

~Edit

When you get HTTPS working correctly, don't forget to put in an HTTP 301 redirect so that when people try HTTP they get flipped over to HTTPS automatically, (I do this by hand at work, but I imagine it's a an option somewhere in cPanel). ;)
Indeed, the way SMF does things in clunky, and I don't think I can use a relative path to the files.

I have hit another snag, and that is that the certificate checker thingy (yes, that's a word) that is linked to from this article on SMF's site about using SSL says that my certificate is a "self-signed" certificate, and that it will throw errors on people's browsers unless it's manually added locally as a trusted certificate. I'm gonna check with the host again to see what they can tell me. I don't mind doing the work myself, if that's what has to be done, I just don't know exactly what I need to do.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 10:39:44 AM »
Yup, that's a self signed cert alright. Issued in 9/2017 and expires in 9/2018. That's pretty typical of self signed certs. Usually when a site has HTTPS capability it generates the self signed cert to be able to get HTTPS up and running so at least the module will work. It is then intended that you'll replace it later.

What you'll need to do is replace the self signed cert with the cert signed by Let's Encrypt and possibly also restart Apache for it to take effect. Since you have the plugin in cPanel, you shouldn't have to worry about establishing a chain of trust for it.

Once that is done you should be able to manually browse to https://thegaminguniverse.org and have no certificate errors.
DDOEQ2

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 11:27:28 PM »
Ok, hopefully everything worked. I've made all the changes (in the order suggested) from that page I linked to. I dunno about the redirect, though

Offline Dandel

• Global Moderator
  • Accepted
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 11:46:10 PM »
Ok, hopefully everything worked. I've made all the changes (in the order suggested) from that page I linked to. I dunno about the redirect, though

I can confirm that the HTTPS/SSL is now working.

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2018, 12:07:40 PM »
He got it working! The HTTP 301 redirect is working as well!  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
DDOEQ2

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2018, 05:59:11 PM »
Yeah...one of the hurdles I have to overcome every time I do something on the server is not knowing what exactly I know. ;p

The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  Discussion  |  GU Reporter remodel

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.141 seconds with 19 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx