gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484224 Posts in 28368 Topics by 2466 Members - Latest Member: Second Channel April 24, 2018, 04:04:20 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  Discussion  |  GU Reporter remodel
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: GU Reporter remodel  (Read 231 times)

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
GU Reporter remodel
« on: April 05, 2018, 10:36:07 AM »
So, it's been ages since anything was done with the Reporter thing here, and dandel has been indirectly prodding me towards getting something done to improve the front page in regards to that. I'm hoping to see about starting a news thingy for each of the major systems, like with weekly deals or something (for example, with Steam, I could post the midweek and weekend deals, along with major game announcements, I guess).

In order for this to work, I'd need a minimal number of sites to go to to hear about said ews for the consoles. Preferably with ninimal ads, cause those are annoying, especially when you have limited sight. Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 01:03:37 PM by Rowan »
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Online Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
Re: Reliable and preferably unbiased gaming news sites?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 08:13:02 PM »
Why not also feature some Youtube game review channels? That's how I find out about most things going on in the gaming world.

Most of the game review sites I know of are pretty ad heavy and even with an ad-blocker they're hard to look at even with better eyesight so I pretty much ignore them. :-\
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
Re: GU Reporter remodel
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 01:05:49 PM »
I've changed the title of the topic, since I'm going to expand the discussion. How should I split up the Reporter stuff on the home page? System specific? Brand? "This world needs an enema? >.>
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline KingOfHumans

• Always Watching
  • Messiah
  • Here today, gone tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 03:13:17 PM »
Just take the hottest news articles and tweak it I guess.
The goal would be to always stay trending for search results!

Online Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 06:26:13 PM »
Start with simple topics like

New Games - new games regardless of system

Industry News - Things like politicians bringing up video games causing violence again and the loot box controversy with Battlefront 2, games as a service, ESRB shenanigans, etc., would go here.

Hardware News - the latest GPUs/CPUs and how they affect gaming, new console announcements, the latest controller we're all going to hate, etc.

Get it up and running with stuff like that and split it up as needed as it grows. BTW yes, the world does need an enema, but that goes beyond gaming.  :lXD
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 06:28:03 PM by Golden Warrior »
DDOEQ2

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 02:37:16 PM »
Good old Jack Napier ;)

Online Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 09:14:05 PM »
And now I lost my train of thought... :rolleyes:
DDOEQ2

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 11:50:36 PM »

Offline KingOfHumans

• Always Watching
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 03:21:53 PM »
That's news that 2 years old.
Talk about the latest PS5 info. Possible specs released, or that's the dev kit specs!

(PS. I'm not a PS fan, but still interesting)

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 04:04:27 PM »
Train of thought...train derailment video...come on, KoH, you're not daft.

Offline KingOfHumans

• Always Watching
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 10:27:47 PM »
hehe..
but I am serious on the Ps5 suggestion.

Online Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 08:54:29 PM »
https://youtu.be/UAfwxdxBw6c

That reminded me of the movie Unstoppable. :rolleyes:

Getting back on topic: Ps5 and PS5 work :P

As does anything going on in the industry. I'd also suggest avoiding opinion pieces as much as possible and leave that to the forums.

You may also at some point want to consider switching the site over to HTTPS instead of HTTP. You can use letsencrypt.org to get the SSL cert to import on the site for free. The reason why I mention HTTPS is even putting security aside by encrypting the website, HTTPS gives a website more 'validity' to people hitting it for the first time. Also letsencrypt.org is a certificate authority recognized by the key store used by many of the common browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, etc.) so you shouldn't have to worry about SSL certificate warnings with it.
DDOEQ2

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 07:08:21 PM »
I dunno what all I'll need to do to make that happen, but seriously, ANYTHING to get rid of that blasted security warning when I try to log into cPanel.

Online Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 07:28:52 PM »
I don't know what the exact procedure will be for you, but the general procedure is as follows:

1. Generate an RSA keypair (2048-bit if it asks)
2. Generate a CSR (certificate signing request)
3. Submit the CSR to the CA (certificate authority)
4. Go through verification (email or DNS is most common)
5. Download the generated certificate from the CA
6. Install the certificate on the web server

It's generally straight forward.

Here's a quick video of the steps in cPanel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0IyUF9pM8k

They aren't using letsencrypt.org but the steps will be very similar. There's other quick videos/tutorials on how to it as well. cPanel will usually generate a new key pair for you when you do a CSR so step one will likely be combined with step 2 for you.

For verification, usually the CA will do either email or DNS. Email will send the verification email to webmaster@domain.com or what ever admin email you have and all you need to do is click the link to verify you're the admin of the domain.

If they do DNS, they will require you add a DNS record with the name they give you. EX: a TXT record blablabla.thegaminguniverse.org with data like 'blablala8128da;"

After you add the DNS record, they do an nslookup for it and if they find it, they confirm you're the admin of the domain since only the domain admin can add DNS records. This DNS record can be safely deleted after you're done getting the certificate. It's a one time use thing.

I also recommend going through letsencrypt.org's website and looking up their documentation. There is also plugin for it available for cPanel: https://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/ssl/installing-ssl-letsencrypt

I'd look at getting the plugin first. It'll make it a lot easier since they automate everything for you. Otherwise, you'll need to go through the manual steps.
DDOEQ2

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 10:18:03 PM »
The plugin is apparently already installed, but I was looking at doing a signing request already, and it expects a "legal company name." I'm fairly certain I don't have one of those laying around :/

Edit: I'm under the impression that something is borked, and I'm not smart enough in my old age to figure it out on my own. I'm going to open a support tiket with Mochahost in the morning. After I've dealt with furniture delivery and had coffee. And had coffee. Maybe more coffee.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 11:20:09 PM by Rowan »

The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  Discussion  |  GU Reporter remodel

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.145 seconds with 19 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx