gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484321 Posts in 28379 Topics by 2466 Members - Latest Member: Second Channel June 24, 2018, 07:25:36 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  General Chit Chat  |  I really HATE home Wifi
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: I really HATE home Wifi  (Read 286 times)

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
I really HATE home Wifi
« on: January 10, 2018, 03:09:18 PM »
I really HATE home Wifi. You'd think that with all the technical advances over the last decade that issues with random drops, channel congestion and overall slow performance would be a thing of the past, but nooooooooooooooo.

Wifi is as unstable and miserable as ever on home routers! I had a router go bad so I got a new one and it was fine for a while. Signal strength was good, performance was way better than the old one, etc. but then we started getting random drops everywhere (including wired connections). OK, so after fighting with the limited settings on it, I did the usual 'google it' and found the firmware was highly suspected to be buggy and the cause of all the issues. OK, so I look for updated firmware and sure enough, there isn't any. The damn manufacturer is selling new routers with buggy firmware with no updates.....grrrr....

OK, so I look at my old friend DD WRT. Sure enough they have firmware for the router so I flash it with DD WRT thinking that'll at least tell me if it's really firmware or hardware. The DD WRT firmware did help. The wired connection stopped dropping and the Wifi devices appeared to stop dropping and performed a bit better (DD WRT lets you substantially increase transmission power and antenna gain).

Then the next day, the same Wifi issues returned. Poor signal strength, poor performance, and random drops....again.

I ended up getting yet another router today. The router that gave me all the problems was a Linksys WRT3200acm. It really should have performed way better for the specs it had. By all rights it should've kicked the Netgear AC1900's ass I picked up at f'ing Best Buy today that's performing way better than the Linksys ever did.

Seriously, WTF is wrong with router manufacturers!? I've used Netgear, Linksys, D-Link, and Belkin and they're all a roll of the dice as to whether or not you get something that'll work reliably and I'm really getting sick and tired of that crap. I get asked a lot about home Wifi routers (comes with the territory of being a net admin) so every time I tell people the same thing...research it and roll the dice. It's basically become a taboo subject when I wish I could tell people go to X manufacturer and look up router X, Y, and Z.
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

Offline KingOfHumans

• Always Watching
  • Messiah
  • Here today, gone tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
Re: I really HATE home Wifi
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 07:45:48 PM »
Might be your provider.
There's times where the speed sucks for that day.

It be worse if we lose net neutrality!

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 01:53:54 AM »
I considered that it could be the provider. It was pretty suspicious when the problems started pretty close to when the FCC voted to declassify ISPs under Title II protections. That said, it's been 5 days and the problems haven't come back (yet) so it does appear to be faulty router hardware.
DDOEQ2

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 09:00:26 AM »
Ever since Linksys was bought by some random company whose name I cannot recall atm, I've heard their routers have turned to garbage. I'm currently using an Arris Surfboard SB6183 modem and a Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 for my mediocre networking. Being on Cox Communications, I had to get away from their custom fw with the piggyback signal they use all over to allow people to use wifi while away from home (not sure if they charge for that, yet)
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 06:15:02 PM »
Linksys was bought by Belkin and Belkin's never been a top brand to begin with so it definitely looks like Belkin's mediocrity has affected Linksys.

As for Cox, yeah I'm pretty sure they charge for that somewhere in the fine print. I've never known any cable company give anything away for free, but it's pretty low that they'd use your bandwidth to service others like that.
DDOEQ2

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 05:47:54 PM »
I've been told by a friend that you can opt out, but it really shouldn't even be there. Ever since they started that, there have been major issues with wifi stability around town. Hence me getting a router/modem combo NOT furnished by them. Custom firmwares installed by the ISP should be banned.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 08:01:51 PM »
I agree, but I don't know of a way to ban custom firmware for ISPs while still allowing custom firmware for consumers since ISPs themselves are consumers of the same products. It's kind of a catch 22 since running your own firmware can open up new features to you and get you more updates and fixes beyond what the manufacturer will support. It's just a PITA when ISPs do it to make life a living hell for us.
DDOEQ2

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  General Chit Chat  |  I really HATE home Wifi

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.163 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx