gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484569 Posts in 28409 Topics by 2464 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert December 06, 2019, 11:04:25 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  Post your PC 2016 Edition
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Post your PC 2016 Edition  (Read 443 times)

Offline Dandel

• Global Moderator
  • Accepted
    • View Profile
Post your PC 2016 Edition
« on: October 17, 2016, 05:40:02 PM »
I figured that it would not hurt to see what people are using for their computers at the end of 2016... Generally speaking it will help others know what to look for when trying to locate new computer parts, and find out what is currently trending. That said I will start with my system.

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
Re: Post your PC 2016 Edition
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 06:38:33 PM »
Nope.

Mine's still the same 2011 laptop (sorta, actually its twin now) that I've been using for five years. :p
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 07:36:18 PM »
That's an interesting idea. Here's my gaming PC:

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler (discontinued and replaced by the NH-D15, but still an awesome cooler)
  • Motherboard: Asus Z170-Deluxe
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 - PC2666 - 4 8GB DIMMs
  • Main SSD: Samsung 950 PRO 512 GB Internal SSD ‑ M.2
  • Power Supply: LEPA G Series G1200-MA (way bigger than I need, but I used to have it in a previous build with an SLi setup and a lot of drives, but it's still good so I'm still using it)
  • Video Card: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition
  • Monitor: AOC g2460Pg (not 4K; I'm waiting on single card solutions to come out that can drive 4k at well over 60 FPS and prices to come down before I get a 4K monitor, so I'm future proofing myself for a little while at least)
  • Case: NZXT Phantom Red (an old case I had from a previous build, but I still like Thermaltake cases the best)

I also have a couple SSDs in there from a previous build along with some mechanical HDDs for extra storage, but it's not necessary with my backup NAS. I may take the extra drives out for another build someday, but for now they're there. I also have a Blu-ray burner from a previous build in there too, but I only use it to watch movies when the TV is tied up.
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

Offline Dandel

• Global Moderator
  • Accepted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 02:02:29 PM »
That's an interesting idea. Here's my gaming PC:

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler (discontinued and replaced by the NH-D15, but still an awesome cooler)
  • Motherboard: Asus Z170-Deluxe
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 - PC2666 - 4 8GB DIMMs
  • Main SSD: Samsung 950 PRO 512 GB Internal SSD ‑ M.2
  • Power Supply: LEPA G Series G1200-MA (way bigger than I need, but I used to have it in a previous build with an SLi setup and a lot of drives, but it's still good so I'm still using it)
  • Video Card: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition
  • Monitor: AOC g2460Pg (not 4K; I'm waiting on single card solutions to come out that can drive 4k at well over 60 FPS and prices to come down before I get a 4K monitor, so I'm future proofing myself for a little while at least)
  • Case: NZXT Phantom Red (an old case I had from a previous build, but I still like Thermaltake cases the best)

I also have a couple SSDs in there from a previous build along with some mechanical HDDs for extra storage, but it's not necessary with my backup NAS. I may take the extra drives out for another build someday, but for now they're there. I also have a Blu-ray burner from a previous build in there too, but I only use it to watch movies when the TV is tied up.

Thanks for reminding me about the need to mention storage recommendations. That said, there is a few options that need to be looked at when you decide...
  • Hard Drive - Desktop - on these drives never settle for anything less than 7200RPM, and in most cases a 4TB drive is reasonably priced.
  • Hard Drive - Laptops - Use 7200RPM drives in most cases, but if your worried about heat look at an SSD instead. In general you can find a 1TB drive with 7200RPM speed for a reasonably price.
  • Solid State Drive Desktop ( 2.5 format, single drive system) -  I recommend going for drives with a minimum of 500 MB/s read ( and write). Also for most computers you can get away with a minimum of a 500GB hard drive.
  • Solid State Drive Desktop ( 2.5 format, mixed drives) - 500 MB/s Read/write, and you can go smaller. The catch is that you will install windows only on this drive, and install all other software/games on an external drive. You will also need to use a third party software like PrimoCache to use the Solid state drive as a cache for the hard drives.
  • Solid State Drive (M.2 Format) - This is a embedded format. The biggest thing is that this that these have a dedicated slot on the motherboard. These have two varieties SATA Mode and PCI-E mode... either mode works fine, but note the mode of the drive before use. The recommendations for 2.5" Solid State Drives still apply.
  • Solid State Drives Laptops - You can follow the Solid state recommendations on desktops. The only difference is that most likely you will just need to use a larger solid state drive.

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 08:03:44 PM »
That about sums it up. I would add this about storage.

• Solid State Drive (M.2 Format) - Do you go for it for performance, or do you for it to save space in your case and not have to run a SATA cable and power cable? If you're just going for saving space in your case for a really small build or specialized build, then SATA vs PCI-E isn't going to matter as much. However, if you have a want/need for higher performance go for PCI-E mode since SATA can't compete with it. Also note that M.2 SSDs aren't all shaped the same way. You're going to have pay close attention to the form factor that your motherboard supports to make sure it'll fit right. Lastly, keep in mind that in SATA mode, it's pretty common for the motherboard to disable a SATA port if you're using an M.2 card in SATA mode and depending on how many HDDs and other regular SSDs you were planning on using for mass storage this may limit your options a bit.

Yes, you'll have to do a bit more homework with M.2, but not much more and yes, the performance gains in PCI-E mode are well worth it. You'll love it for editing large video files for uploading to Youtube and you'll like the quick loading times in games too.

• Hard Drive - Avoid anything less than 7200RPM to put in your PC to run apps off of like the plague. Seriously, if you're going to have 4TB of storage on it, why settle for something with a low RPM speed? With dealing with lots and lots of data that you may be actively using on a PC, 7200RPM should be bear minimum if the HDD is going to be used in a PC/Laptop. However, if you're building a NAS or getting drives for a NAS, that's where it may be OK to have 5400RPM WD RED drives that are meant for a NAS. Reason being, they're going to be in a RAID and when you have multiple drives working together, performance goes up so the lower RPMs isn't going to be as bad of a bottleneck at home. In my NAS I have 4 5400RPM WD RED drives and since they're in a RAID, I really don't see any lag from the lower RPMs on them. It's not as fast as having SSDs in there, but it's a NAS for long term storage of my data, it's not like I'm running apps off it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 08:05:58 PM by Golden Warrior »
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  Post your PC 2016 Edition

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.15 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx