gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484574 Posts in 28409 Topics by 2464 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert December 15, 2019, 08:29:36 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  How many of you guys are planning on Purchasing the Nintendo NX Day 1?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How many of you guys are planning on Purchasing the Nintendo NX Day 1?  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
In my case, I don't have a Wii U or even the original Wii so that's why I'm watching this to see if I want to get a NX or not.

Makes sense. I am hoping the NX will be better. However, if it has backwards compatibility with the Wii U/3DS (because I heard the NX is a hybrid portable/console type), that means the Wii U gamepad will be needed for some Wii U games (especially if you plan to play DS games from Wii U VC), but it'll probably be optional.

My real hope concerning the gamepad is, however, is that you can use one from a Wii U and not need to buy a new one.
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
That would be nice and it would make sense if the NX is expected to be able to play Wii U games for it to be able to use Wii U controllers.

I'm also hearing more and more rumors that the NX will use cartridges instead of optical discs and that Zelda will be on a cartridge for the NX. That'd be cool for loading times and the like. Though given that it's Nintendo and that they love their proprietary formats, I wouldn't be surprised if NX games are more expensive than Wii U games. I just hope that the NX has an optical drive for reading the games from older consoles. I don't think a lot of people are going to be happy if they have to buy their games in the Nintendo store again if they can't use their physical copy of the game on the NX. This has pissed off many PS3/PS4 owners who still have copies of their PS2 games (including me).

Talk about going full circle though. We started on cartridges on the NES and then went to CDs, DVDs, and eventually Blu-rays, and what ever the hell Nintendo uses for their propriety formats, and now cartridges are coming back.
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

Offline KingOfHumans

• Messiah
    • View Profile
There's really not many great Wii U games, so backwards compatibility isn't really needed, since it just increases the price of the console.

I don't buy games on the virtual console, for two reasons.

1. I own the originals and/or roms
2. I see no point in buying these old games, since you have to keep buying them

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
  • Take me back to the Mother Ship!
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
That would be nice and it would make sense if the NX is expected to be able to play Wii U games for it to be able to use Wii U controllers.

I'm also hearing more and more rumors that the NX will use cartridges instead of optical discs and that Zelda will be on a cartridge for the NX. That'd be cool for loading times and the like. Though given that it's Nintendo and that they love their proprietary formats, I wouldn't be surprised if NX games are more expensive than Wii U games. I just hope that the NX has an optical drive for reading the games from older consoles. I don't think a lot of people are going to be happy if they have to buy their games in the Nintendo store again if they can't use their physical copy of the game on the NX. This has pissed off many PS3/PS4 owners who still have copies of their PS2 games (including me).

Talk about going full circle though. We started on cartridges on the NES and then went to CDs, DVDs, and eventually Blu-rays, and what ever the hell Nintendo uses for their propriety formats, and now cartridges are coming back.
It would make the most sense to have the medium that holds the most memory (say, BluRay disc or the like) housed IN a cartridge, thereby protecting it better.  Also, it wouldn't be likely we'd have to keep blowing into the interface! lol

I know nothing about the NX and I'm in no rush to find out.  Comes with growing old, I guess;^)
Read my novel, The Death Doll:
Paperback, eBook, or Audible

Latest Fight Comix Release:
2018 JANUARY 22
Episode 208: Filler: Mission Brief 3 (Part 2 of 4)!

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
There's really not many great Wii U games, so backwards compatibility isn't really needed, since it just increases the price of the console.

I don't buy games on the virtual console, for two reasons.

1. I own the originals and/or roms
2. I see no point in buying these old games, since you have to keep buying them

There are some reasons to get VC games. An example is for Metroid Prime Hunters: the Wii U gamepad is lightyears better to use than the DS itself.

I have quite a few VC games, despite being able to get the ROMs. Why? I dunno. Maybe the words 'virus threat' keeps me wary of ROMs. Yes, I know there are some trustworthy sites out there, but I do NOT like risks, especially if the virus you get is SPECIFICALLY a virus, then your best bet to save your computer is... to wipe it completely. That's right. Viruses have become so nasty, they can even damage hardware now and embed themselves in the BIOs of your PC. So, in that case, even a boot-scan won't stop them.
-Aegis Runestone-

Mormon Messages

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
Actually, the risks never really changed unless you consider that there are more viruses out there now than ever. Viruses have ALWAYS been able to do physical damage to hardware and have been able to affect the BIOS of a PC ever since the BIOS started being stored in flash. The only real difference now is how they spread. You have drive-by downloads, Zero-day attacks, etc.

It would make the most sense to have the medium that holds the most memory (say, BluRay disc or the like) housed IN a cartridge, thereby protecting it better.  Also, it wouldn't be likely we'd have to keep blowing into the interface! lol

I know nothing about the NX and I'm in no rush to find out.  Comes with growing old, I guess;^)

Actually, for storage capacity, that's not actually true anymore. The various types of flash out there can now hold far more than a single Blu-ray disc and give you much faster I/O speed too. Last month Samsung announced they are mass producing a 512GB SSD all contained on one single BGA package: https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-mass-producing-industrys-first-512-gigabyte-nvme-ssd-in-a-single-bga-package-for-more-flexibility-in-computing-device-design

For those that don't know BGA packages are those black IC chips you see soldered to circuit boards so this means they've managed to make an 512GB SSD that's about the size of a nickle.

SD cards, which many are speculating Nintendo will base their cartridge format on, also have capacities of 512GB or more now.

By comparison, the average Blu-ray disc is 50GB and discs with the highest capacity are only 128GB and are still way slower than any SSD.

Oh and the issue with blowing into NES cartridges was due to design mistakes on the original NES. The SNES and higher never really had that issue and I've ever heard of it happening on their hand helds so I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you really miss it. :rolleyes:

Yes, I probably know too much about storage. :P
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:41:05 PM by Golden Warrior »
DDOEQ2

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
A 512 GB SSD as big as a nickel?! Wow.

As for viruses, yes, spreading is what has become nasty. All the more reason to distance myself from emulation these days.
-Aegis Runestone-

Mormon Messages

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
Or just not run Windows. :P

BTW has anyone heard anything more about other launch titles for the NX? Outside of Zelda, I haven't been hearing much of anything.
DDOEQ2

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
Nintendo's been insanely quiet about the NX even though they are planning to release it in March of next year. (O_o) All we know is that Zelda will be on it, and that it'll be stronger than the Wii U. Rumor has it that it'll be as strong as the PS4, probably not as strong as the enhanced one coming out, but like the normal PS4.
-Aegis Runestone-

Mormon Messages

Offline KingOfHumans

• Messiah
    • View Profile
Sept is the month where they will finally reveal. (highest possibility)
Late Aug might happen, and early Oct is also possible.

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
I guess we just gotta wait then. Typical Nintendo always staying in the shadows. :rolleyes:
DDOEQ2

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  How many of you guys are planning on Purchasing the Nintendo NX Day 1?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.18 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx