gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484580 Posts in 28410 Topics by 2464 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert April 06, 2020, 05:08:48 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Dev Lab  |  Game Development  |  Tilesets?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Tilesets?  (Read 2457 times)

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Zel

• View Profile
    • http://zel.sheezyart.com
Re: Tilesets?
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2016, 12:14:22 AM »
Best bet for ripping backgrounds is "el manual".   I've found most automagic solutions just don't work. 

Related question,    trying to do an 800 x 600 screen  at 7 layers of 16x16 tiles at true color.   Looking to optimize as 20 FPS on a high end video card is unacceptable for a 2D game.  Would reducing the color depth to 4bits or even 8bits provide a signifgant speed increase?

Edit: Reducing the color depth on the tiles has little effect in SDL (Screen has to be 32bit if display is 32bit otherwise I get the lovely double screen with wrong colors effect) :/    May need to look into consolidating the layering system......
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 09:07:13 PM by Zel »
This post brought to you by Zel.

Offline MottZilla

• Atoned
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Gaiden IV
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 01:30:43 AM »
7 layers, that's excessive. First suggestion, do you allow for *no tile* where you don't draw anything if the tile # is zero? You can save a lot of time by not drawing a transparent tile/empty tile. If you are actually wasting time drawing tiles that contain no non-transparent pixels it will hurt performance. If you do want 7 layers you may need to render it with the actual video card hardware via OpenGL.

Even the best video card isn't going to help performance if you aren't actually utilizing it to render the scene. Allegro 4.x, SDL not using OpenGL, DirectDraw, these are not going to perform as well as OpenGL or D3D with a modern GPU.

If you run the program in full screen you should still be able to use 16-bit mode which would be faster in the older style of drawing things. 8-bit mode can also offer a performance advantage. But maybe I'm wrong and newer versions of Windows don't like those things.
Ninja Gaiden IV:
Homepage

Offline Dandel

• Global Moderator
  • Accepted
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2016, 12:59:57 PM »
I do not know of any direct sprite websites, however I do know that the Humble Bundle releases game making bundles with art assets.

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Dev Lab  |  Game Development  |  Tilesets?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx