gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484586 Posts in 28410 Topics by 2464 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert July 14, 2020, 08:19:32 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  General Chit Chat  |  I have bad news, that could possibly be good news...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: I have bad news, that could possibly be good news...  (Read 778 times)

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
I have bad news, that could possibly be good news...
« on: January 07, 2016, 04:09:12 PM »
You guys know I live in Utah. I work at RadioShack as a Sales Associate. However, I learned today from my boss that our store is closing on the 25th of this month and that we'll probably be out of jobs by the 30th (we have to clean up the store). I felt very bad for my boss as she was silently crying over this (for a brief period). She's been with the company 5 years, so it must hurt.

Anyway, I need help. As some of you know, I like web design, but I'm not fond enough of it to take it on as a job. As I was talking to one of my co-workers today, he recommended an OS (operating system) certification (say from like Microsoft). He was confident I could pass easily. My brother, who is a tech guy, recommended a company called "Convergys." Many of his friends got their start there in tech work and eventually found their career jobs.

This may be a blessing in disguise as I did not like working at RadioShack, and now I need to find something soon to survive (or just file for unemployment until I get a job :p). However, getting out of RadioShack, IMO, opens a lot of doors for me and basically pushes me to look.

Now, as you can tell, I'm interested in tech jobs like web design, Corporate IT, and OS services. I know you guys aren't familiar with Utah (I do NOT want to relocate, in fact, that's NOT up for discussion), or what's there, but I know some of you have to know people or companies I can look into.

Thanks for your help ahead of time, guys. :)
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
  • Take me back to the Mother Ship!
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
Re: I have bad news, that could possibly be good news...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 10:43:31 PM »
Do you have any degrees in IT or other computer skills? 
Read my novel, The Death Doll:
Paperback, eBook, or Audible

Latest Fight Comix Release:
2018 JANUARY 22
Episode 208: Filler: Mission Brief 3 (Part 2 of 4)!

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 09:31:55 AM »
No other degrees (I'm going to plan on certifications). My computer skills are limited mostly to software, but I'm willing to learn.
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 09:51:14 AM »
Convergys is a call center oriented place. My late fiancee worked there when she was living in Logan.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Cyclone

• Higher Power
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zcnetwork.net
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 11:40:06 AM »
I worked seven years in a call center.

Never again.  I grew to hate people in ways I never thought I would.  Don't get me wrong, it's rewarding when those nice people call who know what they're doing and appreciate help figuring things out, but most of the time people don't have a clue.  Thank God I didn't work in tech support, where asking someone to unplug the computer might take about ten minutes.

Sig. image courtesy of Chayy.

Sephiroth: How do I edit the first bullet bill so it's fire rate is less rapid
inori: Well, first you die. Then its fire rate goes down to zero.
Marrshu: No actually it continues firing

GU Award Winner of Best Moderator (early 2004) and Best Global Moderator (rest of 2004).

As a general rule. don't solve puzzles that will open a portal to hell. It will ruin your day.

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 10:23:15 PM »
I don't know of any specific companies in Utah to look into so best I can do is give you some general advice that may or may not be helpful:

Certifications will help you get in the door and are your only defense against those with college degrees when competing for jobs in the same field. After that, it's about experience and finding the right keywords for the resume to pass the asinine HR screening process run by computers. I don't recall if you have a degree related to web design, but if you do be prepared to be asked about why you're not looking at getting a web design job and don't be afraid to spin it into something positive related to the job like "web design helped me be very detailed oriented which will help me get to the true cause of the problem to fix it faster".

In your case getting certifications will help. It depends on what you want to do in IT though. I work for a small organization so I wear a lot of hats: security, networking (routers, switches, cabling), VOIP, sysadmin (servers), etc. In my case, if I didn't have the college and experience I'd have to get a lot of different certifications to stand out, A+, Network+, CCNA, CCNP, CCNA Voice, CCNP Voice, MSCE, Linux, various security certs, etc.

Starting certs I've seen help the most are the A+, and Network+. If you want a Microsoft Cert, go ahead but while I've seen that helps more in the server side of things than it does for getting a job with the PC side of things (your mileage will vary) it's still good background for you to have. Getting the entry level certs may also help you narrow down what part of IT work you like more than the others or you could be like me and like wearing a lot of hats so it has that benefit for you to find what you like the most too. Also, it helps a lot to be flexible and NEVER STOP LEARNING. As you know staying current with different tech is very important, but it may also surprise you to know that sometimes learning older tech can also be a benefit as well so don't forget to look into that. Sometimes older tech is as simple as companies running older versions of software, but it could also be an entirely different platform so if you come across it in an IT job, try to learn as much as you can about it. May prove useful, might not, but usually sometimes there'll be something you can get out of it even if it's several years down the road.

For you the important first step is going to be getting the first IT job to see how well you like it and if that particular field of IT work is what you want to do. This typically involves starting with the dreaded call center when it comes to the larger companies and an IT Help Desk at smaller companies. I'm not going to mince words, handling IT in a call center environment for other employees in the company is 'hard' and handling IT support for the company's customers is HELL ON EARTH.

However, if you can make it through there while working on getting a better IT job it'll be worth the learning experience. You'll learn about thinking on your feet under pressure in a fast paced environment with people screaming at you on the phone. If you can handle that, you have a good chance of succeeding in the other IT jobs that follow.

I'm not familiar with Convergys but off hand the name sounds familiar for some reason. It sounds like it would start you off in the call center which is not bad for starting in IT, but expect to have to work hard. You already know how to handle customers so that'll help you out a lot there and any experience with handling customers on the phone will really help.

Other places you can look are IT service companies that businesses contract with for support or outsource to. Some of these will have you traveling at lot but you'll get to work on different systems while you find their printers or update their PCs. These may be harder to get when first getting into IT, but may still be worth a look.

Also definitely lookup recruiting firms. Many places don't hire direct for IT jobs anymore so you may be looking at this eventually. I went through one for when I got the job at TWC back in NY and down here in SC I was able to get the job at the credit union through a recruiting firm. For IT jobs, a lot of times with these you go to the recruiting firm, they interview you to get to know you and then they add you to their list if they think they can use you. When jobs come their way they'll look to see if you match any of them based on the job requirements and then they'll send your resume to them where a person will look at it. If they like it they'll interview you and if you get the job, you get brought on as a contractor and paid through the recruiting firm for a set period of time (usually 90 days) and at a lower rate than the actual job itself (it's annoying but bear with it if it's your only option). After the 90 days they evaluate you again and decide if they want to bring you on full time where if they do, you stay with the company and become one of their regular employees and usually you'll get a pay raise as incentive for going full time with them.
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  General Chit Chat  |  I have bad news, that could possibly be good news...

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx