gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484580 Posts in 28410 Topics by 2464 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert April 04, 2020, 06:24:06 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  General Chit Chat  |  Career Pursuits
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Career Pursuits  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Zeo

• Angel of Vengence
  • Founder
  • Chaos Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Career Pursuits
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 05:03:10 AM »
Haven't given much time or effort to my career other than getting through school and landing a job. I did have two jam sessions with friends making indie games, but we haven't gotten back together to complete anything, on account of needing to find work and being generally busy.

Now that I'm working a steady job as a software developer, I've been thinking more about pursuing my hobbies while maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Drawing, writing, learning to program for fun instead of for work, and eventually make small fan games and other passion projects as a hobby. Whether or not I land a job doing that is almost irrelevant, but if there is a next step in my career, it would be moving towards something in that area. The thought of making the next Chrono Trigger or Mega Man is an inspiring delusion, but that's more a fuzzy dream than a faraway promise.

HA! that sounds like me starting college!  Take some advice, if you REALLY want to do that, you need to put out some seriously good stuff on your own, to show employers, otherwise, you;re another college educated computer literate no experience "I want an easy job and I have a degree so I should have it" boot out the door person.
All cats have an attitude problem, just most have figured out humans are better at the game.

Truthful words are not beautiful; beautiful words are not truthful. Good words are not persuasive; persuasive words are not good.
Lao Tzu

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 09:42:05 AM »
Roger that. I wish I spent more time on those kind of projects during college, but my job then was full-time studying, not even a part-time to get some income or experience. I didn't want anything else after that but to play videogames and eat crap on the net. So much for being educated :/. Least I was lucky enough to get an entry-level job at college.

One of my colleagues was just talking about how great freelancing is as a career. I'm starting to seriously consider building a rep as a web developer. Learning the ins-and-outs of HTML5 and JQuery would at least get me closer to building mobile apps or browser-based games, but in the meantime, there's plenty of tools I could start learning and churn something out with. I'll see what I do with my time this weekend.
~Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.~

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 07:42:20 AM »
www.codeacademy.com has free courses on HTML, CSS, jQuery, PHP, and I think a couple other things. It's a great place to start.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 01:47:34 PM »
I have been feeling like going back to school lately. No time like the present!
~Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.~

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  General Chit Chat  |  Career Pursuits

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx