gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484585 Posts in 28410 Topics by 2464 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert May 31, 2020, 11:20:11 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  General Chit Chat  |  So, what has everyone gotten themselves into?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: So, what has everyone gotten themselves into?  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
So, what has everyone gotten themselves into?
« on: January 22, 2015, 06:48:17 PM »
It occured to me that the few people still visiting GU haven't really said much about where life has taken them. I'll start off.

Back in 09, I was laid off from Sam's Club, and was forced to go back to working at the local bowling center. I spent a lot of time between actual gaming and my late fiancee (most of you already know about all that, she passed October 13, 2013). I was rehired at part time hours at Sam's about 2 weeks before that, and am still there.

The household has changed dynamics vastly. My original roommate's other sibling (his sister was the aforementioned fiancee), under financial duress, moved his wife and daughter in a little over a year ago, and we're expanding our overall cooking/eating experiences as a result.

At some point in time, I started getting interested in two things: drones and alternative energy sources. Obviously, I can't make much of a career with drones (I still can't afford to buy and/or build one -.-), so I looked into doing something with electricity, which I already had some experience with as an electrician under my dad years ago. So I'm currently waiting on my W-2 so I can file my taxes and then file for financial aid to take courses for a degree in electrical engineering. I hope to be able to have a small (relatively) generator design by the time I finish my schooling, although I may instead be working on thr electric vehicle scene.

As for gaming, I own a PS3 that collects dust under my roommate's XBOne, and have a bunch of games on Steam that I play off and on. Mostly single player stuff, but I play Borderlands 2 and a couple other online capable games on occasion.

Anyone else?
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Smokin D

• Chimi Cherry Chonga
  • Grandmaster
  • How do you like them apples?
    • View Profile
    • Chimi Cherry Chonga!
Re: So, what has everyone gotten themselves into?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 07:51:49 PM »
Lord, where do I start. I'm not in the best of places, in all honesty, but its not entirely terrible. I'm single again, working a retail job, and taking care of an uncle I'd rather not be. My gaming habits switched radically, as I have in fact joined the glorious PC master race. I'm currently saving money to go to Finland to visit Mystara and another friend. Hopefully sometime in the next year I'll be moving, trying to restart my life in a new location with good friends for support. So, while the past year sucked, Ive got my head up, and am optimistic things will get better again.

If anyone is interested in helping me make that Finland trip a reality, I set up a gofund me page that can be found here: http://www.gofundme.com/kp2o40
Helping me spread it around will be a huge help, thanks for any that take the time to check it out.
Eeyup.

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
  • Take me back to the Mother Ship!
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 10:54:34 PM »
I moved to Georgia in Nov08, where I was stationed in Ft. Stewart until Jul14.  I deployed to Iraq from Oct09-Dec10, then to Afghanistan Aug12-Mar13.  I went to school for promotion (finally!) Jun13, got promoted Oct13, and went to another promotion school in Jan-Mar14.  In Jul14, I moved here to Arizona, where I reinjured my left shoulder (FINALLY getting it fixed Monday!), managed to tear my right heel, and recently messed up my neck and back.  During all that time, I managed to make only a handful of fight comics, but more than made up for it by writing 3 new novels and 30 episodes of my new TV show (none sold, but I'm going to push for my new zombie hero novel very soon).  I managed to get some test readers for my Death Doll novel and a couple of artists to help me with the cover art (though all I got for now is one sketch).  LadyLion and I just finished taking adoption classes and we're now looking at some children to adopt soon.  I also managed to lose 31 pounds in Afganistan and nearly regain all of it here in Arizona.  Got quite a few battles on my hands, but I'll make it somehow.

I will.
Read my novel, The Death Doll:
Paperback, eBook, or Audible

Latest Fight Comix Release:
2018 JANUARY 22
Episode 208: Filler: Mission Brief 3 (Part 2 of 4)!

Offline xainy

• Moe~
  • Scholar
  • can't find the exit...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 09:22:58 AM »
I dunno, I'm pretty sure everyone knows what's up with me. Was married, got officially divorced around my birthday a couple years ago, moved back to Montana [from TN] the same year. All I really get into is my art, which is my work. I've been completely supporting myself through my art for a few years now. I have been thinking about getting a medical coder certification, but getting a job usually means I don't have time for art, so I'm reluctant.

There have been some setbacks the past few months, which suck. I had my wisdom teeth out and several other medical things which had me take work on that I wasn't able to finish in a timely manner, so I'm now kind of behind on commissions. My boyfriend has offered to support me until I can get my backlog completed [paying my share of rent, buying food, etc.] I hate relying on him for that, but he said he'll keep track of the money he spends so I can pay him back once I'm back on my feet. :) Should only take a month or two at my current rate of completion. I've made very good progress the past few days [finished 4 pages of a 7 page comic!]

Other than that, not much going on...trying to save up to take my cats to get their teeth cleaned. Need some new glasses [accidentally ordered the wrong prescription lenses last time -_-]. That said, my goal/new year's resolution this year is to get better at saving money since I usually spend all of what I make. [To be more accurate, I control how much I make, so I make the exact amount I need per month for rent/phone/etc. and never have leftovers to save.] I'm hoping I can have a few thousand saved by Christmas, but we'll see!

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 02:32:14 PM »
Hopefully sometime in the next year I'll be moving, trying to restart my life in a new location with good friends for support. So, while the past year sucked, Ive got my head up, and am optimistic things will get better again.

I forgot to mention, SDG, JoeFalco and I are planning on getting a place together within the next two years. That's gonna be a fresh change on scene ;D
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Joefalco

• RPG Maniac
  • Royalty
  • US of A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 09:17:08 PM »
Moved to a new area after getting a big boy adult job that actually pays for living. I might be invaded by a couple of yahoos in a year or so.

Fat is back, baby!

Tales from an Alternate Gaming Universe Comic Archive
^All comics, no comments, no searching through countless pages^

Zenith RP: a RP forum. Check it out!

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 12:24:16 AM »
Well, for those that don't know by now, I moved from NY to SC in November of 2012 and I still love it down here. If I ever go back to NY it would be to visit only. ;)

I'm still working at the credit union that hired me when I got my first job here after the move. It's a small company but very stable and growing. They promoted me to Network Admin last year from the ambiguous title of "IT Tech" to match what I've actually been doing there and gave me a nice raise too. I work lots of overtime, and sometimes have even gotten sick from it, but I've gotten better at cutting it down and I do really like my job. I don't think I'll be looking at changing jobs for a long while at least. It's nice to feel like I have some job security for a change where I like what I do without loosing money every month.

I also lift weights in the morning before work. I've found it to be a good (and healthy) hobby and good way to relieve built up stress from work. I participated in a small meet at the gym last year and did pretty well so I'm hoping they have it again this year so I can see how far I've progressed in a year besides my personal records in my regular sessions.

As for gaming, I've pretty much switched almost completely over to PC gaming from console. Main reason is there's just too much garbage on the consoles lately and even though some of Nintendo's games look good, I just can't justify getting a Wii or Wii U for them yet. Whereas on PC, JPRGs seem to be making their way to it and I'm been able to find more games that appeal to me. Also there's always emulators for when I need the "blast from the past". The most recent I finished was The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky. I'm now playing The Last Remnant, Shadowrun Returns, and Cities XXL. I also picked up Shovel Knight and realized my platforming skills have really fallen. I need to get that back to normal at some point.
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

Offline Lethes

• courage
  • Executive
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 02:11:48 PM »
I returned from my mission last June (was gone for two years in Samoa teaching my religion). Started school at the BYUH and started dating like crazy. I met my fiance just a few weeks after returning, but we didn't start dating for a couple months. I asked her to marry me in December, and we're set to be married on April 21st. NEXT MONTH!! Oh wow I love saying that. I should probably make a thread about it or something so you guys can see the invites. Other than that just battling laziness and homework. I have a Wii U now and I mostly play SSB and Shovel Knight (an amazing game btw), as well as my Xbox 360 which I mostly just use for Skyrim and Just Cause 2. I still have my old N64 which I play when I'm feeling nostalgic every once and a while, but it takes me like an hour to get it working again. Well that's me.
face your fears

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
  • Take me back to the Mother Ship!
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 09:23:16 PM »
I met my fiance just a few weeks after returning, but we didn't start dating for a couple months. I asked her to marry me in December, and we're set to be married on April 21st. NEXT MONTH!! Oh wow I love saying that.
Hey, gratz, man!  Advice: stay away from credit cards (SAVE!), don't forget the I-love-you's, enjoy the silliness, and remember that what affects one affects the other and therefore shouldn't be hidden!  It's the two of you against the world; don't make enemies of each other just because you're annoyed.  Work together through everything.  Neither side should rule; both sides should grow together.

:gets off soap box:
Read my novel, The Death Doll:
Paperback, eBook, or Audible

Latest Fight Comix Release:
2018 JANUARY 22
Episode 208: Filler: Mission Brief 3 (Part 2 of 4)!

Offline Sardonic Grin

• Zombie
  • Overseer
  • We All Go A little Mad Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 12:55:56 AM »
Nothing super has changed with me, which I guess is embarrassing...

I still live in New York, I am a full time retail manager for a clothing store owned by Hot Topic. I am looking to move up and eventually make it to the corporate portion of retail. I attempted to get into school for my masters in Early Child Hood education, but that didn't work out through a misunderstanding with my college (and by misunderstanding, I mean everyone who works there are dumb as rocks). If I don't eventually get a real big girl job, I'm going to go back to school for my masters in either English or Creative Writing. Figured I might as well do something that I love and go into debt, than doing something just for the money.

I have a boyfriend who doesn't have any mental problems/is emotionally abusive, which is pretty freakin sweet. He's a music business major at NYU and originally from Boston. He's a total gentleman and I am so glad he saw past my drunken mess of a human and asked me out to dinner. It's pretty early in our relationship so it is hard to see where this will go, but I am excited and happy for once in my life :)

As for writing, I have had severe writers block for a while, but I did document a lot of the mess that was 2014 in poems and short drabbles. SO I am still writing, just not as much as I would like. I know it is totally my fault, but that will have to change soon. Gaming has also slowed down, due to working 40 hours a week and just being tired like all the time. But I am playing Majora's mask 3D and it is AWESOME!!

Also, I went from one dinky triforce tattoo to five tattoos in the matter of a year. I have a sugar skull on my thigh, bats up my collar bone, the word "Luca" on my shoulder (which is the title of my favorite song by Brand New) and I started my My Chemical Romance tattoo on my left thigh. I also have like seven more tattoos planned out including on my back, two on my ribcage and hopefully by next year I will start my Zelda half sleeve.

I have a rough year 2014, but I am optimistic about 2015. I was in a deep depression that really brought me to the brink of self-loathing, worse than I ever been. Luckily, through writing it out, and continuing to think optimistically, I pulled myself out. I figured rock bottom was almost getting arrested at a Linkin Park concert, so the only way now was up :)

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  General Chit Chat  |  So, what has everyone gotten themselves into?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.203 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx