gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484224 Posts in 28368 Topics by 2466 Members - Latest Member: Second Channel April 24, 2018, 04:50:11 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  Discussion  |  Moving forward - New Ideas
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Moving forward - New Ideas  (Read 8831 times)

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
Re: Moving forward - New Ideas
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2015, 07:58:29 PM »
Actually inori helped me a great deal when I was first starting to learn C++. I think that the not sharing info was more of a language barrier than anything, plus people probably didn't think anyone would help them.

Tutorial videos? I won't promise anything there. I do like the idea, however. I can probably set up something with using Code::Blocks to develop cross-platform with in the case of C++. We can do other things with that, as well, it'll just take some time to learn the tools and some of what I'd like to do with this I need to learn myself.

The roleplaying is more about what we do that how we do it. It'll be similar to reading a book in concept from what I gathered from the Bros.

The only person I know that has any knowledge of messing will the older technology of games is Mottzilla. If he's interested in doing something with that, I'm all for it. We can do tutorials on it or something.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Zeo

• Angel of Vengence
  • Founder
  • Chaos Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2015, 12:42:15 AM »
Okay, let me try this again without the side questing.

!. Rpgs:  Adults do Not have time for this. plain and simple, I came to the conclusion long ago that I;d rather write my own book, then waste hours and hours I don;t have in an RPG.  This is doomed to fail for that reason, maybe when we're all retired and not worrying about money any more this can happen.

2. Writing forum as a back up might be good.  I already went into what happened to my book, all my back ups are unreadable, the USB stick stolen,  and hard drive destroyed, all because best buy can't diagnose or fix  a problem.  i was planning on  releasing a preview possibly either here or elsewhere, but if there is one thing i hate doing, its starting an almost done project from scratch, esp when its not my fault I lost it.  It makes my blood boil to even try to do it.  Even starting from a 16 year old back up is going to piss me off enough, but I cannot start from scratch.

3. With official game makers from Nintendo, and Capcom likely following suit, we've lost our niche.  Problem has always been coding. I still think we are best off going to Sunsoft and rare/enix  games.  things like Blaster Master, brainLord, etc.

4.  I'll say this again, we are not going to be able to compete with ign, kotaku, etc.  we don't have the connections.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 12:56:19 AM by Zeo »
All cats have an attitude problem, just most have figured out humans are better at the game.

Truthful words are not beautiful; beautiful words are not truthful. Good words are not persuasive; persuasive words are not good.
Lao Tzu

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2015, 07:25:06 AM »
RPGs don't take that much time to play, if managed correctly. One turn posts per DM update handles that easily. But I digress, as this wasn't even brought up before now, unless you meant the skits I was discussing with SDG and JoeFalco. That's a completely different kind of thing.

I'm not completely against reopening the Library, but we have to be careful in regards to anything someone intends to try selling. Teasers, like the samples Smazon does with some Kindle books, might work there.

I'm not buying a game console just to make a game with it. That was never an intention behind Yggdrasil, anyway. It was a means of making an engine that I could use and be proud of in that I'd made it. Simple as that. And coding is not an issue for a truly passionate programmer. That was my problem. My passion was transferred elsewhere, and I never got around to focusing on the engine again. Be that as it may, I can't work on that at the moment. I have a lot of things I want to do with my personal time, but programming a game engine is not very high on the list right now. Personal stuff involved here. This is not to say that we won't host a new (or old) project, if someone is interested in us hosting it.

I don't really think the Reporter project was ever intended to compete with any of those sites. Be that as it may, I can't focus time on that like it would deserve.

Let me make something clear, here. Just because I shoot down an idea does not mean it's not completely possible that we do it. If enough effort is put into something, it will take on a life of its own, regardless of how I feel about it, personally
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Zeo

• Angel of Vengence
  • Founder
  • Chaos Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2015, 07:57:20 AM »
I don't really think the Reporter project was ever intended to compete with any of those sites. Be that as it may, I can't focus time on that like it would deserve.

The reporter project is a "keeper" mentality,  we need a "grabber"  thing.  Reporter cannot compete as a "grabber", just on the fact we don;t get sneak peeks, etc.
All cats have an attitude problem, just most have figured out humans are better at the game.

Truthful words are not beautiful; beautiful words are not truthful. Good words are not persuasive; persuasive words are not good.
Lao Tzu

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2015, 06:27:30 PM »
I afree. The radio thing is more of the same, I think, but I'm gonna push through with it because it interests me. I'm gonna talk with SDG and JF about that soon for ideas on it.

The tutorials idea is also more of the same, possibly a mix of the two leaning more towards keeper. However, I like the idea, so I'm going to make plans on doing that as time allows.

What else?

Offline KingOfHumans

• Always Watching
  • Messiah
  • Here today, gone tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2015, 06:42:39 PM »
Yep, there's nothing to grab people here. This forum has no real purpose.

No let's plays, not much gaming discussion, no gaming league users, no game reviews, no gaming tips/tutorials.
Lastly, no friends inviting friends (icepunch was the last invite because of family)

If you want a grabber, you probably need a contest that pays out.
Or pay someone to advertise this place.

If no one hears about this forum in some way, no one will google this place.

Question. How come when I type "The Ultimate Final Countdown" or "The GU Member Map", this place does not show up in google.com?

If I type "How many wanted a ALBW sequel?", the ZeldaUniverse link shows up just fine for google.com
Is there something broken? Did you block all google bots from seeing any of these threads?
This could be one of your major problems!

Offline Zeo

• Angel of Vengence
  • Founder
  • Chaos Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2015, 09:44:16 PM »
That would be a combination of things, but mostly due to me starting the second site and registering it with the database that Google pulls from as GU. Since its down and never got up past 100  members or so, Google sees GU as down and low ranked for the most part.  Google's changed since then and isn't AS reliant on that back door database as it was in 2009, but still that's a major part of it.

Lao Tzu

Offline Zeo

• Angel of Vengence
  • Founder
  • Chaos Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2015, 09:10:13 AM »
Another thing i forgot, a GU twitch loader, with Chat.  Schedule people or shows and then have GU exclusive  commentary on them for gu emmbers.

This sounds counter productive, snce you can just do this in twitch, but the reason for it is is allows this community to comment on things with its own moderators and etc, rather then having to deal witht he streamers moderators.

Good examples of this would be like the TG podcast, or member streams, or other scheduled live shows (ie the NWC or the Smash finals).

Lao Tzu

Offline KingOfHumans

• Always Watching
  • Messiah
  • Here today, gone tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2015, 04:19:58 PM »
Why twitch and not youtube?
Youtube is entering the livestream market, and everything is much smoother.
Only thing sucking for youtube right now is an unmoderate chat, but you could always disable that and use another chat program

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2015, 04:39:11 PM »
Exactly what kind of work would this entail, Zeo?

The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  Discussion  |  Moving forward - New Ideas

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.11 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx