gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484224 Posts in 28368 Topics by 2466 Members - Latest Member: Second Channel April 24, 2018, 05:02:09 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  Discussion  |  [Suggestion] Out with the OLD, in with the NEW (Good job so far BTW!)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: [Suggestion] Out with the OLD, in with the NEW (Good job so far BTW!)  (Read 1591 times)

Offline KingOfHumans

• Always Watching
  • Messiah
  • Here today, gone tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
Looking at GU today compared to yesterday(meaning like a year ago), I'd call this place somewhat Revived.

You got a new home page that looks decent, seeing a bit more GU activity. I think the next step is to get rid of the old.
Take all those archived projects and section and make sure it's hidden from the public.

This new GU seems to focus on Game Reviews (Or at least by Sopia). Well, can anyone write a review, even a half-assed one? I think you should allow this at least as a Sub Forum (Maybe call it "Public Reviews" or "Public Opinions")  (I'd whip something up if there was a separate section and you won't completely Bash it)

Would also be cool if GU had a user that would like to make a Review in a video format and upload to youtube. All they need at the very least is a good voice. I seen good video reviews where they just talked over gameplay. You don't need some expensive equipment, you just have to be likable.
Such a shame Blackspark isn't around (unless if there's others), he could of made a view decent videos Or at least Tried.

Even if you only got a few thousand views, you'd still be linking back to your forums. Other then Google, how are people finding these forums?
Zelda & OpenZelda  I know used to general links back to "thegaminguniverse.com" but you guys changed your link.

If you ever feel that the only thing GU is lacking, is activity (and doesn't need any real work), maybe pay for a little advertisement.

----------------
Late Response to Aliem. He said he needs expensive editing equipment to make a video and called MOH's low crappy(or something like that).
MOH didn't spend a single cent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhMGDXM7OV8 - He did this review back then. Got 690,000+ views. It's not about the video quality, it's all depends if the video is likable or not. If it's likable, Websites will advertise the video.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:27:25 PM by KingOfHumans »

Offline Aliem

• Ț̼͍̩̹̥̞̩̖͝ ̺̰̟͝s̸҉̜̜̘̥̥̤̬͓͔̰͔̩ͅ ̴̡̭̪͍͇̕c̦̀̀͡ͅ&
  • Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Out with the OLD, in with the NEW (Good job so far BTW!)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 05:25:52 AM »
It doesn't matter who writes them, becuase I don't think Sophia's gonna be doing it anymore.

To your other attempted point, I don't need expensive equipment for shitty youtube bullshit, I need it to film in high definition and edit for live television broadcast, because that's my job. That's what my boss pays me for.  I work in television, not in shitty youtube videos that only try to get a certain number of views.  I don't care how many views a video gets, if something is crap it's crap, and it won't attract anyone to the actual content.  They'll click the link, say "jesus christ this video sucks!" close it, and never return to the channel. Viewcount on that video increases by one, but for every person that subscribes, there are a hundred that never go back because there are other videos doin the same thing you did but better.  With even a fraction of effort - and yeah shocker sorry to destroy your world but effort often takes financial sacrifice - quality increases.  When quality increases, so does viewer retention.  As far as "all you need is a good voice" goes, wow, are you joking?  Seriously, I need to know.  Writing is so critically important it shouldn't even need to be mentioned.  So add that to the list of needs.  Decent recording equipment is also a must.  Who cares what you're saying if you sound like you're saying it through a blanket?  And the video; you suggest recording audio over gameplay.  That's a good idea, and is often done, but hey how do you get that footage I wonder?  I don't see a lot of good videos with HYPERCAM2 blasted across the screen.  That's becuse they INVESTED in EQUIPMENT and use capture cards.

Content production.  Costs.  Money.  Plain and simple.  It's about investing in something.  People who do this do it not just becuase they enjoy it, but becuase it's a source of income.  And to put yourself above the rest, becuase god knows there is an oversaturation of content out there, you've got to be able to do something well.

What you're saying is "lol let's trick people into clicking this link so we get a view counted, who cares about creating actual good content that would get people to actually stick around" it's completely backwards thinking.  Dignity's a good thing to have.

And hey let's not forget just how many video game reviewers there are!  Do you really think halfassing will allow anything done here to stand out amongst the glut of content out there?  Why would someone watch our stuff when they could click the link above it, whch was produced in a thoughtful way with tallented people who actually care about what they make and not just a fucking viewcount?  I'll give you a big hint: we'd crash and burn and deservedly so.

Success requires work, simple as that.  Real work.  If you want something to be good, make it good.  Don't strive for the lowest common demoninator and expect to have the same success as the best.  Actually stating a goal of halfassedness not only makes you seem like the wrong person for any job, but it makes me actually cringe.  If you aren't willing to put real effort into a thing, just don't do it.  Let someone who cares do it.  If you're going to try, try all the way.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 05:52:23 AM by Aliem »

Offline Zel

• View Profile
    • http://zel.sheezyart.com
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 03:30:36 PM »
Speaking of work, with Rowan's help I dusted off a really old GU classic, sadly through I don't think that particular project will be reborn, I -might- post some screenies for shits and giggles since I got it to (halfassed through basically --ignore "anything that won't bring the compiler or linker to it knees")

But it did remind me of the kind of projects GU used to put out in the old days.  We put out some serious quality remakes. Some of those projects took years to reach a decent level of usability, but when hey did we got member counts.  Like remakes that weren't shitty Virtual Console "ports" that were just a rom paired with craptastic emulator that only works buy the magic of a drunken night of coding.  And the big thing was the extra features we could add, custom items, new levels, bug fixes,  etc.  However all this stuff takes time and financial straits have taken much of that time away from us.  We want viewers and not spam bots yes?  Well we need to start by using our talents and resources to produce something viewers want.  It doesn't have to be remakes like in the past, but it needs to be something that holds interest.
This post brought to you by Zel.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 07:22:39 PM »
only works buy the magic of a drunken night of coding.

Fun times ;)

I'm working some ideeas through my head to determine the best route to take for GU, since the reporter thing is taking a dead horse beating because I took forever to get it really started.

As for videos/audios...if you have something, contact us. We can always at least take a look at it. I have lower standards than Aliem because I'm not privvy to all this expensive crap he gets to play with on a daily basis, but we do have to draw a line somewhere. Anything we do ok, however will be fully credited to those that put the effort into it
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Aponrojuni

• Learner
    • View Profile
     Read listen and think on it

Offline KingOfHumans

• Always Watching
  • Messiah
  • Here today, gone tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
Mind elaborating on what you mean?

Offline Magi_Hero

• Accepted
  • :D
    • View Profile
A spambot isn't going to elaborate.

Anywho, what kind of projects can we start? I'm anxious for this continued chance for revival.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
Well, FBEpyon and Solaris have both mentioned interest in working on a project. So far, a Zelda 2 remake (not necessarily Z2E, but semantics, eh) and a remake of the original NES TMNT have been mentioned. I think it would be best if any project they work on (whether it's TMNT or Z2 or something else entirely) is one that would definitely keep member interest would be wise. I speak from experience when I say it's hard to keep working on a project when almost no one responds to updates and all. It sucks the fun out of the project.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 06:18:11 PM »
Gotta side with Aliem on this one. They may be fun to write, but reviews are inherently very low-quality content, and a big source of contention and clickbait more often than not. That kind of discussion seems better served to a simple forum thread. Video reviews are even worse, since they can take 5-10 or more minutes to accomplish what a written review could in a fraction of that time. GU's done best with hosting various videogame projects, and the most fun I had was with the RPW. Both have fallen by the wayside as we've gotten busier, but if we want to shoot for anything, it'd be fun projects like that, just for starters.

By the way, Aliem, whatever happened to MojoBob? It'd be great if we could revive some of his old projects, as a piece of GU's history. I've looked briefly on YouTube and the MegaManX9 forums, and the closest fan game projects I've seen to stuff like Special Unit Zero are the Mega Man X3 Project Zero/Base Mod romhack. I haven't seen anything like Mega Man 18XX yet.
~Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.~

Offline xainy

• Moe~
  • Scholar
  • can't find the exit...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 07:31:08 PM »
[Aliem hasn't been active for almost a year, so you might be waiting a while for a reply from him.]

I personally like review videos as long as I like the personality of the person reviewing, but my favorite to watch are top 10 videos. You get a couple minutes per game [or whatever], say your spiel about it, and it's all relative so there's not usually a ton of contention. You're just voicing your own opinion. It's also very easy to invite audience participation in comments with videos like that if you ask them to post their own top 10, whether there's something that should have made the list [or if they agree/disagree with your top 10 in general]. You don't even have to record yourself talking if you record yourself playing each game and splice it together [maybe with some cinematic portions thrown in]. Then it's just someone talking over gameplay footage which is less boring than watching a person talk.

Do I think it would be easy to start making those or that they'd be a huge draw to the site? Probably not, but I'd watch them if someone made them. Heck, I'd make them myself if I had the time, but I could probably only manage 1 or 2 a month right now and I'd probably get bored with that project really quickly. Mainly because I don't play enough different genres, so I wouldn't be able to think up enough content.

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 07:50:27 PM »
I used to enjoy Top 10 videos from James Rolfe and JonTron. Like you said, it depends on the content and the personality of the videographer. It definitely shouldn't be the main draw for GU. The most helpful thing would be to have a hub where we could host playthroughs of completed game projects, or demos and trailers of in-progress ones. There, someone who's good with video-editing, recording, and has a flair for marketing can really shine without devoting the kind of time and effort it takes to do something like GameCenterCX or even the JonTronShow.
~Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.~

The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  Discussion  |  [Suggestion] Out with the OLD, in with the NEW (Good job so far BTW!)

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.173 seconds with 19 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx