gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484583 Posts in 28410 Topics by 2464 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert May 26, 2020, 01:28:05 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  General Chit Chat  |  So, I like My Little Pony
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: So, I like My Little Pony  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Smokin D

• Chimi Cherry Chonga
  • Grandmaster
  • How do you like them apples?
    • View Profile
    • Chimi Cherry Chonga!
So, I like My Little Pony
« on: February 02, 2014, 11:28:13 PM »
Hi folks, Im Smokin D (SDG for short) and most of you have known me for going on 11 years or so. I joined here when I was 20, and now I'm a 31 year old man, in a steady, 7 year marriage, and I happen to love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

It all started back in 2012, I was coming off losing my source of income at the time, and was just goofing off around the house. I saw MLP coming on, and knew about the brony phenomena, so I figured, why the hell not, I'll try it for myself. Before I go further, I will say I've always been prone to at least try things that have a cult following out. I don't ALWAYS enjoy it (Fight Club, Donnie Darko, a few others) but usually, I find at least SOMETHING in it to enjoy. The fact that I gave Rocky Horror Picture Show a chance allowed me to discover my absolute love for dark musicals, something I will always be greatful for.

Now then, back to the miniature pastel horses. So my very first episode was titled "The Secret of My Excess." In it, Spike, the baby dragon, has a special ruby he's been saving for himself to eat on his birthday, when Rarity, the white unicorn who is into fashion sees it and gushes about how lovely it is, and how she would love to have it. Spike, being utterly infatuated with Rarity, gives it to her, saying seeing her happy would be better than him eating it. NOW, here is the first thing that hooked me: Rather than being about Rarity taking advantage of his willingness to give her stuff, the episode is ACTUALLY about Spike starting to demand birthday presents, because in MLP lore, dragons grow larger and more domineering through greed. The show took a cliche and turned it around, and still managed to teach a good lesson on gracefully accepting presents, or charity in general. And, to be quite honest, this "show for girls" didn't FEEL like one.

Now, the next step was to gauge LID's response. She knew of bronies through me, so the next day I got her to watch a couple episodes with me. She was almost IMMEDIATELY hooked, specifically through an episode featuring Pinkie Pie (Best Pony) babysitting. So really, it just took off from there.

The show is created and animated in Flash, and is a really crisp cartoon, full of vibrant colors and excellent animation. The voice talent is amazing, the show is headed by Tara Strong, a woman I GUARANTEE you have heard on something you loved dearly. Seriously, go Wikipedia her, you'll be amazed. Spike is voiced by Cathy Weseluck, who some of you may know as Near from DeathNote. Oh, and for all you trekkies, the BEST villain of the entire series, Discord the lord of Chaos and Disharmony, is voiced by Q himself, John De Lancie.

I think the part of the show that will really catch you off guard with its level of quality though, is its writing. This cartoon about candy colored equines is NOT written like its for little girls. At all. Its smart, its clever, and not afraid to make jokes specifically for adults. There are jokes about appletinis, the punch being spiked, The Dude, Walter, and Donnie all appear as ponies in a bowling alley, its a wonder at some of the things they squeeze in there. Also, the writers (and the show in general) have an amazing relationship with the fandom, both the target demographic and the not so target demographic. There is a character who only exists right now because a bunch of adult fans noticed an animation error resulting in her have crossed eyes. Her name is Derpy, and she is one of the most beloved characters, by fans and staff.

Ok, Ive rambled on enough right now, so I'd like to open the door to questions, comments, anything really. Ask me what you want, and I'll answer to the best of my ability. So, who wants to ask the brony something?
Eeyup.

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
Re: So, I like My Little Pony
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 06:23:53 AM »
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

Offline Smokin D

• Chimi Cherry Chonga
  • Grandmaster
  • How do you like them apples?
    • View Profile
    • Chimi Cherry Chonga!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 12:43:48 AM »
I see your Final Fantasy music and raise you a Navi Pie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trCf9eCmIHY
Eeyup.

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 08:47:36 PM »
Wow...I got nothin' over that.

I have seen multiple videos of MLP out there but haven't seen any episodes. I feel as though I should see at least one to at least see what the regular show is like.
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

Offline Joefalco

• RPG Maniac
  • Royalty
  • US of A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 10:37:34 PM »
The first step toward recovery is acceptance, SDG. Don't worry. With time, we can beat this pony addiction of yours. ;)

Fat is back, baby!

Tales from an Alternate Gaming Universe Comic Archive
^All comics, no comments, no searching through countless pages^

Zenith RP: a RP forum. Check it out!

Offline Lady Ice Dragon

• Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 10:41:10 PM »
Pfft pony addiction is nothing. I not only have an addiction to the show I have one to the fan fics too. There is an epic one based on the Fallout fandom that is really long but also really well done!

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/04/story-fallout-equestria.html  it can be found here but be warned it is NOT for the faint of heart and don't go into it expecting it to be all sunshine and rainbows because it is very much like Fallout.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 09:05:19 AM »
* Rowan flips LID

With you two involved, "not for the faint of heart" is implied. And there could be much worse things to be addicted to. ;]

Oh, and there's milk in the fridge.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Favion

• Space Cowboy
  • Grandmaster
  • See You Space Cowboy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 06:00:56 PM »
I just sent this thread over to Chayy (if any of you remember him). He's turned into a huge Bronie. I'm curious his take...

I myself haven't really watched it much. Chayy tried to get me into it, but alas no success yet. Plus...do I really want to be a bronie? Do I?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
-Jimi Hendrix
"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear."
- John 4:18

Offline Lady Ice Dragon

• Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 11:47:26 PM »
Rowan, there is no reason the faint of heart couldn't take the ponies. They are for kids after all :P

Offline slothman

• Regimental
    • View Profile
    • http://home.rochester.rr.com/pjackso2/
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 10:31:08 AM »
As soon as you said "eat the ruby" I thought of Final Fantasy 1.
The troll or whatever needs a ruby to eat in order to let your pass.
I wonder if it is related.
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
A civilization isn't conquered from without until it's destroyed from within.
YASR = Yet Another Simpsons Reference
:D = :biggrin: because it is quicker to type.

Offline Mystara

• Advisor
  • Redeemed
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 05:16:57 PM »
I watched a few seasons of the show by the suggestion and coercion of SDG and LID. It's a good show, I'd let my kids watch it if I had any (My cat doesn't really understand anything related to TV or movies so she sadly doesn't enjoy ponies).

I've managed to avoid the Bronylution though - yay!

Though I didn't avoid drawing a pony... :(
One day we will run out of tomorrows
and yesterdays become the stuff our dreams are made of.

Offline Lady Ice Dragon

• Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 05:22:20 PM »
Embrace the pony! Love the pony! They have good moral stories and stuff for kids but there are things in it that adults will find funny as well.

Offline Chayy

• Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 02:33:07 PM »
So it has been forever since being on here! But I'd thought I'd take a crack at it. Favion sent me this link and I thought to myself, "why not?!" Nothing bad should be said a ones personal opinions and preferences. The show is filled with quality. If you don't like it that is fine. But I happen to enjoy it. So good on you SDG!I suppose I haven't really added much to the conversation. But I hope a few of you non-bronies take a shot and watch one episode. That is how I got started.
Chayy, Out   /\

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 02:55:20 PM »
I love the show, but I feel like the larger brony community has gotten carried away with themselves in terms of insisting "its really a guy's show", bandying about adult memes & using pony vernacular where it doesnt belong, and crapping over everything Hasbro does. Spending time reading into the brony backlash from tumblr and Facebook from non-bronies, feminists and/or longtime fans of MLP pre-g4 (Friendship is Magic) has made me more than a little self-conscious about being a brony, both online and off. Nobody wants to be seen as the creepy college dude making young girls and the it parents uncomfortable. Also a misogynist, but that's some tumblr-level hyperbole. Speaking of which, things are a tense right now on tumblr regarding takedowns and copyright infringement, so I'd stay away.

That word of warning being said, I'm pretty much a megabrony: I collect tons of (clean) pics, popular brony music, have indulged in pony shirts & Funko vinyls, absolutely ADORE the ongoing comic series by IDW, and have been reading all sorts of fanfics; I'm eager to start writing some of my own for fun. I'm also really excited about the indie videogame scene. If I want anything more out of being a brony/mlp fan, its to make & play great games based in the world. My personal goal is a Sierra-esque adventure game with a hint of LucasArts' old goofy animated charm. We'll see about that.

So yeah, right now I'm a little burned out and have to slow down, but my love for the show remains young and impressionable. I hope I haven't scared you guys, and I'm glad to see most of you are into it, but it's only fair warning from a fellow guy brony: don't take yourself or the fandom too seriously. Others have and had to pull back from (or out of) the fandom, despite having a high profile status (like popular fan musicians) and to much brony grief, because the fandom proved either too ravenous, belligerent, or simply embarrassing. The GOOD side to all these warnings is that there is so much to love and enjoy in the fandom for adults and kids alike, so never fear about that. There is a lot of great stuff being produced by lovely people to enjoy, but just beware of the dark side. At least what goes on in that side should stay dark.

EDIT: Btw LID I absolutely love your sigpic. Its adorable.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 03:00:34 PM by Kaiser Infinity »
~Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.~

Offline TP

• Ultra Strong
  • Regimental
  • Ultra Soft
    • View Profile
    • http://www.aesgames.com
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 02:49:33 PM »
There is nothing wrong with being a brony.

NOTHING....

>.>

<.<

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  General Chit Chat  |  So, I like My Little Pony

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx