gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484586 Posts in 28410 Topics by 2463 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert August 06, 2020, 02:26:26 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  Possible idea to bring in gamers?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Possible idea to bring in gamers?  (Read 6755 times)

Offline Chris Miller

• The Dark Man
  • Executive
    • View Profile
    • Like I need a title?
Possible idea to bring in gamers?
« on: June 06, 2012, 11:49:20 AM »
Maybe we can have sort of a series of challenge matches, with emulators over the internet.  Obviously, nobody will be allowed to post any roms.  We'll simply post an open challenge, the name and revision of the game, and network info. 
I'm not too good at this stuff, so maybe there's a safer way to do it, so a random hacker can't just grab anyone's IP address.  Any ideas, or is this a bad idea in general?

Offline Machimatrix

• Master of the d20
  • Accepted
    • View Profile
    • Machimatrix on Twitch
Re: Possible idea to bring in gamers?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 05:06:45 PM »
Well, it may be a bit round-a-bout, but it is incredibly easy to do screen recording/sharing now. Set something up like that, we could even stream it on Twitch to get views and people trafficking through that as well.
Steam: Machimatrix
Twitch: /Machimatrix

Offline Chris Miller

• The Dark Man
  • Executive
    • View Profile
    • Like I need a title?
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 06:42:32 PM »
Good idea.  We could have sort of a blog TV thing where people can watch the tournaments.

Offline Machimatrix

• Master of the d20
  • Accepted
    • View Profile
    • Machimatrix on Twitch
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 10:49:12 PM »
Yeah, I suggested Twitch TV since it is a streaming site devoted to gaming.

Offline Chris Miller

• The Dark Man
  • Executive
    • View Profile
    • Like I need a title?
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 11:05:41 PM »
Ah.  Didn't know that.  Like I said, I don't know terribly much about it. =3

Offline Machimatrix

• Master of the d20
  • Accepted
    • View Profile
    • Machimatrix on Twitch
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 02:40:27 AM »
Yeah, no worries. =D
If it's an okay thing, we could easily set up a stream for Gaming Universe to use for competitions (Speed Runs of old games, etc, etc) on any platform of our choice, hook it up with any form of streaming equipment we can get (the one hosting would need Xsplit, it's a free-to-use streaming software). All we need is a way to share screens so that everyone else's games can be on the streamer's computer as well.
We have more than enough amazing talent in graphic design on this site, it'd be really easy for us to get some good production value in imagery. I've been using XSplit for about 6 months now on my own stream, so the cinematography is simple enough for me to teach others. We could easily set this up, and on Twitch people will be constantly asking to join in too, we just need to direct them to the site where they can sign up for these competitions (and check out the other parts of the boards).

Offline Aliem

• Ț̼͍̩̹̥̞̩̖͝ ̺̰̟͝s̸҉̜̜̘̥̥̤̬͓͔̰͔̩ͅ ̴̡̭̪͍͇̕c̦̀̀͡ͅ&
  • Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 05:35:40 AM »
I can't speak for Rowan, but if you guys can get the logistics nailed down, I'm interested.  As long as the games are legal*

*or no one mentions anything about emulation again in this entire discussion.  All games played are legal.  Right?  Right?

Right?

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 11:15:19 AM »
lol, you don't have to have my permission to do most things. I am on GU almost every day. If I don't like something, I'll make it quite clear ;)
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Machimatrix

• Master of the d20
  • Accepted
    • View Profile
    • Machimatrix on Twitch
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 11:17:18 PM »
Oh, of course legal. Because we own the physical games, which if I remember acquisition means that roms are legal. We just have to own the physical copy, not share them (not post links or transfer them) and everything will be 100% legal.
For getting this down, someone can talk to me on Skype easily enough (information in my Signature). We really just need to figure out how to share screens to the main caster (which I do not know how to do).

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 11:34:27 PM »
Actually, owning a physical cart of a game still doesn't make it legal. I looked into that a few years ago. :/

Carry on! 8D
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Machimatrix

• Master of the d20
  • Accepted
    • View Profile
    • Machimatrix on Twitch
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 01:53:48 AM »
Really? Huh, was sure owning a copy made it okay to have a digital one as long as it wasn't for resell or copying.

Either way, I did find this: Streaming Multiple Computers On-line
Although it is one of the most insane work-arounds I've ever seen, it could work in the long run, having two-three monitors, someone can easily set up as the 'host' stream (the one running something like X-Split for easy connection to Twitch) while the others use VLC to 'stream' to a specified IP that the host has open and under 'screens showing'. X-Split has a very easy way to break each competitor into a different portion of the screen that would be getting broadcasted to the public.
Not to mention this full set-up is completely free, which that alone makes it the best way I've found.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 01:48:16 PM »
I might be remembering wrong, but I think it had something to do with downloading the roms. If you make a copy of the physical cart, it might be legal, but it's been a while.

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 01:54:30 PM »
Yeah, I remember you have to actually rip from your own copy of the game for it for be legal. Which sucks, IMO. :/
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 02:41:19 PM »
Can't we just say it's legal and get on to having fun? Or maybe cite a Fair Use clause?

The alternative is to buy one of those questionable Dazzle machines to jimmy up between my downloadable-market-enabled console and my internet-enabled computer for live streaming, which sounds like a huge pain in the ass waiting to happen.

Not that I don't have any legally-obtained digital games I could otherwise play, but unless Capcom decides to cater to the PC market a bit more, that rules out Mega Man entirely. And for that matter, any NES/SNES/TG-16/retro game that hasn't been re-released to PC.

Does abandonware count?
~Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.~

Offline Machimatrix

• Master of the d20
  • Accepted
    • View Profile
    • Machimatrix on Twitch
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 10:44:49 PM »
Well, I believe I have most if not all of it kinda planned in my head. It'll take a headache and a half to set up first time around, but afterwards it'd be easy as pie to run.
I'm off Sunday if anyone wants to test-run this with me.

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  Possible idea to bring in gamers?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.189 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx