gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484576 Posts in 28410 Topics by 2464 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert January 25, 2020, 08:41:33 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  I need a Cheap Nintendo Gamecube Component Cable...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: I need a Cheap Nintendo Gamecube Component Cable...  (Read 7670 times)

Offline Jeremy

• Group 7 Access
  • Accepted
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
Re: I need a Cheap Nintendo Gamecube Component Cable...
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 03:36:51 PM »
I just saw that some GC games support 480p. If these are the games you play, a component cable would make a big difference, since you need one to use 480p. If the game isn't on the list, though, it probably isn't going to make a difference. My advice in that case is, get a GC to USB adapter, plug a computer into your TV, and play them in an emulator. Emulators use software rendering so they'll do a much better job than your TV's circuitry.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 03:52:34 PM by Jeremy »
Peace and love :cool:

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 07:00:36 PM »
Twilight Princess is on the list. Drat. I had bought a component cable from someone on eBay, but I just told them I didn't want it. If it does make a big difference, I may want it then.

Then again, it was $100. X_X;
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline Aliem

• Ț̼͍̩̹̥̞̩̖͝ ̺̰̟͝s̸҉̜̜̘̥̥̤̬͓͔̰͔̩ͅ ̴̡̭̪͍͇̕c̦̀̀͡ͅ&
  • Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 07:46:39 PM »
You have a Wii, don't you?  Why don't you buy component cables for your wii, like these ones and play on that.  The reason gamecube cables are so expensive is because they weren't released in the US.

Keep in mind, though, unlike HDMI cables, brand matters with component cables.  Cheap cables will not be as good as higher quality cables.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:52:33 PM by Janus »

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 08:36:23 PM »
Uhh... I have the newest model of the Wii... the one that doesn't play GCN games. My brother bought it for me on my birthday. I wasn't going to complain. o.o
-Aegis Runestone-

Mormon Messages

Offline Aliem

• Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 10:32:55 PM »
Still no reason to complain.  Though, wait till some cables pop up that are actually affordable.  I really don't think you should pay over a hundred dollars for a component cable for an old console.  (Hell for that price you could buy an older model Wii AND a good cable)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:35:23 PM by Janus »

Offline Aliem

• Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 01:56:23 PM »
Have you thought about S-Video?

They're not quite as good as component cables, but better than composite, and they are MUCH cheaper.  Though I'm not sure if you're TV will take them.  If your TV has an S-Video port, try them out.

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 03:11:34 PM »
It does... but I already bought a component cable. >_<; I'm going to sell my copy of Hyrule Historia to make up for the cost.
-Aegis Runestone-

Mormon Messages

Offline Aliem

• Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 04:17:14 PM »
Make sure you're satisfied with the cable before you sell your book, just in case :P

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 05:32:21 PM »
Oh, I will. :) Though Hyrule Historia is kinda worthless to me. 1) It's in Japanese, and I don't know many Japanese words--plus it's in Kanji. I can't READ Kanji. 2) There's a translation site for it. With an image of the Timeline translated.

I really think I don't need the book. XD
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 05:33:57 PM by Aegis Runestone »
-Aegis Runestone-

Mormon Messages

Offline Marrshu

• Editor
  • Grandmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 11:37:03 PM »
The mystical forces of awesome directed me to this thead, so I'll chime in with a few details.

1. Most all first party Nintendo games on the Gamecube, including Twilight Princess, have Progressive Scan of some sort. The image quality is a significant improvement over S-Video, Composite, or RGA.

2. Gamestop sells third party versions of the aforementioned cable for a mere $5 (http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/gamecube-n64-component-cable-used/32149), not available online, but searching around would likely find you some.

3. I'm not sure why you spent $100 on Component Cables, as not all Gamecubes even support Component output. However, as I suspect you bought these off ebay, I'll let you in on a little trick; Ebay sides with the buyer in a dispute nine times out of ten. If you can put even the smallest amount of effort into proving that you were overcharged, you could very well get your money back. Or heck, say the cables don't work.

4. Given that you're trying to play Twilight Princess, and you own a Wii, it probably would have been far cheaper to buy Wii Component Cables and a Wii copy of the game. After all, the game is only $20 on Amazon for the Wii version. Plus, your Gamecube copy of Twilight Princess is somewhat rare and fetches a high price.

5. Hyrule Historia is indeed useless to anyone who does not have a moderate understanding of written Japanese.

6. I'd never thought I'd ask the aforementioned mystical forces of awesome to remove my self-ban to come back here for this, but whatever. :P

Oh, and...

Keep in mind, though, unlike HDMI cables, brand matters with component cables.  Cheap cables will not be as good as higher quality cables.

This doesn't really matter for 480p/progressive scan on the Gamecube. All that matters is if the cable works. Heck, I even use third party Wii component cables.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:54:16 PM by Sophia »

Offline Jeremy

• Group 7 Access
  • Accepted
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 12:28:09 AM »
2. Gamestop sells third party versions of the aforementioned cable for a mere $5 (http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/gamecube-n64-component-cable-used/32149), not available online, but searching around would likely find you some.

I'm inclined to think that's the wrong cable. GC had an analog cable that matched the 64 before it, but the component cable in question connects to a different physical socket, the digital out, which the 64 didn't have. I'm guessing that the cable you linked to is a N64 RGB component cable, which won't work for a couple of reasons: 1) RGB component is what's used by computer monitors. The component inputs on TVs are YPbPr, and they're incompatible; 2) The RGB component out only worked on the SNES and N64; the pins didn't connect to anything at all on the GC, because it had the digital AV port.

3. I'm not sure why you spent $100 on Component Cables, as not all Gamecubes even support Component output. However, as I suspect you bought these off ebay, I'll let you in on a little trick; Ebay sides with the buyer in a dispute nine times out of ten. If you can put even the smallest amount of effort into proving that you were overcharged, you could very well get your money back. Or heck, say the cables don't work.

Component's analog, but the port on the GC is digital. The cable has a digital to analog converter built in it. I don't know what engineering school dropout came up with that system, but that's what they used. It's expensive because of the DAC and the fact that they were only ever made by Nintendo, and are very rare.

Rear sockets
SNES/N64/GC analog connector
Digital port and digital-analog converter
Peace and love :cool:

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 09:30:02 AM »
The mystical forces of awesome directed me to this thead, so I'll chime in with a few details.

1. Most all first party Nintendo games on the Gamecube, including Twilight Princess, have Progressive Scan of some sort. The image quality is a significant improvement over S-Video, Composite, or RGA.

4. Given that you're trying to play Twilight Princess, and you own a Wii, it probably would have been far cheaper to buy Wii Component Cables and a Wii copy of the game. After all, the game is only $20 on Amazon for the Wii version. Plus, your Gamecube copy of Twilight Princess is somewhat rare and fetches a high price.

5. Hyrule Historia is indeed useless to anyone who does not have a moderate understanding of written Japanese.

6. I'd never thought I'd ask the aforementioned mystical forces of awesome to remove my self-ban to come back here for this, but whatever. :P

Oh, and...

This doesn't really matter for 480p/progressive scan on the Gamecube. All that matters is if the cable works. Heck, I even use third party Wii component cables.

I checked for Gamestops in my local area that had them, already, Sophia. Not one in 100 miles around me has one. Not worth it.

I agree with you on Hyrule Historia. Wanna buy my copy for $100? ;D (I'm kidding, I'm assuming you have a copy)

REALLY? So, I should dispute with eBay to get a cheaper cable? How do I do that? (This cable I bought has a return on it. :D)
-Aegis Runestone-

Mormon Messages

Offline Marrshu

• Editor
  • Grandmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »
I agree with you on Hyrule Historia. Wanna buy my copy for $100? ;D (I'm kidding, I'm assuming you have a copy)

REALLY? So, I should dispute with eBay to get a cheaper cable? How do I do that? (This cable I bought has a return on it. :D)

No thank you. I don't want a copy of Hyrule Historia, as it's largely worthless. Even if you can read Japanese, the information in the book is already all over the internet. :p

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 10:31:42 AM »
I know, I was joking. ;)

So, how do I make a dispute for a cheaper cable? Can I make one for something I currently bought?
-Aegis Runestone-

Mormon Messages

Offline Aliem

• Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 12:04:30 PM »

I guess I should have known that :P

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  I need a Cheap Nintendo Gamecube Component Cable...

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.196 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx