gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484586 Posts in 28410 Topics by 2463 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert August 10, 2020, 05:28:48 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  General Chit Chat  |  Stop the CCA/GEO Immigrant Moneymaking Machine
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Stop the CCA/GEO Immigrant Moneymaking Machine  (Read 424 times)

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
Stop the CCA/GEO Immigrant Moneymaking Machine
« on: January 19, 2012, 02:30:14 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/events/137996089650458/

If you live near Boca Raton, Florida, this is a rally to get private banks such as Wells Fargo, Bank of America, and General Electric to divest their private investments in the Corrections Corporation of America and GEO Group: two private prison businesses that make money off of incarcerating non-criminal illegal immigrants. They've successfully lobbied the government to pass policies that allow them to incarcerate over a million illegal immigrants for the past three years. In these privately-owned federal detention facilities, sexual abuse of detainees runs rampant. These are kids, young adults, and adults who have come to the US to escape the troubles of their previous countries, be educated, and make a new life for themselves. The US government should remember its roots, why it exists, and accept these people as an investment in the future development of our country. They are not to be used for profit in what could almost amount to human trafficking. This is foul crap that only persists thanks to backwards ignorant racism against them ill-eagle Mexicans what're takin' our jobs (well aware of the hypocrisy thank-you) and unscrupulous greed.

The conference being held at Boca Raton is the GAIM USA conference:

The GAIM USA conference is the largest annual gathering of the 1% in the US:  hedge funds and large institutional investment managers. Major investors in private prisons who will be participating include: Wells Fargo, Bank of America, General Electric, Vanguard, FMR/Fidelity, BlackRock, Lazard, and others.

More information here: http://ccagoaway.org/2012/01/19/jan-24-protest-big-banks-that-invest-in-private-prisons/

Whether you live in Florida or not, please write to your representatives in Congress and the Senate about this. Write to the US government and local newspapers even, if you can. Tell them that this is inhumane, evil, and utterly despicable.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 03:36:12 PM by Kaiser Infinity »
~Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.~

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
Re: Stop the CCA/GEO Immigrant Moneymaking Machine
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:58:33 PM »
Well that's an eye opener. I had no idea they were just getting through in jail like that. There should better ways to deal with this. Before, I thought that they were just shipped back out to Mexico, Cuba, or where ever they fled from. Now that I think about it I don't know if shipping them back would be worse than going to prison here though given that things were bad enough for them to risk coming here illegally in the first place.

Yes, they are breaking the law and jobs aside they DO cost tax payers money. That has nothing to do with racism, that is just how it is right now and is not to say that it is morally right or wrong either (that's a HUGE debate for another thread).

However, they don't deserve to be treated as sub human either especially since we're not talking about rapists and murderers here.
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

Offline Cyclone

• Higher Power
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zcnetwork.net
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 06:46:16 PM »
With the American economy the way it is, I do support getting legal residents jobs.  Illegal immigrants, unfortunately, don't have it so easy. They have to create their own businesses because they cannot legally work for someone else.  And THAT is legal, I think, because it creates jobs for Americans.

But then again, I'm no expert.

Cyclone

Sig. image courtesy of Chayy.

Sephiroth: How do I edit the first bullet bill so it's fire rate is less rapid
inori: Well, first you die. Then its fire rate goes down to zero.
Marrshu: No actually it continues firing

GU Award Winner of Best Moderator (early 2004) and Best Global Moderator (rest of 2004).

As a general rule. don't solve puzzles that will open a portal to hell. It will ruin your day.

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 12:20:48 AM »
That's an interesting question. I don't think it would be possible for them to do that as well as businesses need to pay taxes on earnings to the IRS just like everyone else and I don't think you can own a business if you have no legal status here. It would also make it impossible to do credit/background checks for loans to start up a business and many of them don't know English too. There's also the problem that Americans are more expensive to hire than their friends that are also in the country illegally.

As for whether it is "legal" for them to do so, I find it unlikely. Once word gets out that there're here for their business, the cops will still have to hunt them down because being an "illegal alien" still means that they aren't supposed to be here in the first place.

As I think about it, maybe it'll just be easier to handle this if we change our laws to make it easier for them to move in legally and then create programs (which will create some jobs) to help educate them in the things they'll need to know to live here. Ex: English if they don't already know it, our laws, how our government works, skills for their jobs, etc.
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  General Chit Chat  |  Stop the CCA/GEO Immigrant Moneymaking Machine

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.154 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx