gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484580 Posts in 28410 Topics by 2464 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert April 02, 2020, 09:44:32 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Dev Lab  |  Game Development  |  Game Dev articles you don't see very often
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Game Dev articles you don't see very often  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
Game Dev articles you don't see very often
« on: October 28, 2011, 06:38:35 PM »
http://www.gamedesigncenter.org/emotional-design

I was linked to this from an SDL website. It briefly covers hooking people on a game/series of games emotionally. I can attest to it being a viable strategy, as it's why I got hooked on God of War and Castlevania.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 09:21:34 AM by Rowan »
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Lethes

• courage
  • Executive
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Design
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 03:50:09 AM »
the whole time I was reading that I thought about the Elder Scrolls series, and why i love it so much. I think the "emotional design" in those games is the AI. All the characters are independent of what you do, they actually walk around town, talk with each other, and do normal things. In fact, I can now think of loads of things that make elder scrolls fun. I think this is really the keystone to making a great video game. Thanks for the read.
face your fears

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Design
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 10:02:07 AM »
Glad I could be of service. ;)
I'll be posting tidbits like this as I find them.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
Re: Game Dev articles you don't see very often
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 09:23:58 AM »
Ten Things About Game Development They Didn't Teach Me in School
Yet another article on Game Development, this one from LazyFoo

Offline Luke

• Regimental
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 09:14:38 PM »
that a good read Rowan. I think the non-developers should take a look at it to understand the process.

You might find this page useful - http://altdevblogaday.com/

Offline Lethes

• courage
  • Executive
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 02:04:23 AM »
I read that article a few weeks ago, what a coincidence. It was a good read and still is.
face your fears

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Dev Lab  |  Game Development  |  Game Dev articles you don't see very often

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx