gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484576 Posts in 28410 Topics by 2464 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert February 28, 2020, 04:37:05 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  The Archives  |  Archived Projects  |  Open Zelda  |  OZ Help (Moderator: red_team316)  |  Large group sizes
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Large group sizes  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Khatuni

• Executive
    • View Profile
Large group sizes
« on: December 14, 2010, 12:46:45 PM »
Is it possible to make a group with a width of, let's say 20 screens? Imagine recreating a game like Super Mario Bros. One level could be one very wide group. I can't move the slide bars at the bottom/right in the main QD screen while I drag to create a group, so for me the width limit is 8 screens. There no data file in which this can be edited, as far as my eye could reach.

Offline KingOfHumans

• Messiah
    • View Profile
Re: Large group sizes
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 05:20:44 PM »
Did you try it out to see if it's possible?

Just use edit group to test it.

Another thing you could do use use SetWorldX and SetWorldY instead of UpdateWorldCo. It can be used to go past the group boundaries but no idea how smooth everything will run between the multiple groups.

Offline Khatuni

• Executive
    • View Profile
Large group sizes
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 12:57:05 AM »
Edit Group... Eughh... why did I not see that?
*Bashes head into the concrete wall.

Now I see why the groups sometimes get deleted... you know, the bug where the screen previews are also erased. There's no text file that stores the info for the group locations.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 04:34:11 AM by Khatuni »

Offline KingOfHumans

• Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 07:13:15 PM »
Never seen a bug where groups are deleted except for the QD Crashing and you never resaved.
If a screen does not show a preview on the world but exists you can resave the screen.

The Group data is saved into the save file, but good luck figuring out editing it in there.
I know the bottom part handles some of the group data, but the top part might handle some data as well.

Offline Khatuni

• Executive
    • View Profile
Large group sizes
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 03:07:13 AM »
There's a bug that erases the group borders in the QD's main screen, plus the screen previews don't show up. For the previews, nothing is deleted since it's just a preview, but it seems the group borders have to be redone. And I mean it erases all existing group borders, so it's not because of a crash. I'm sure either you or Janus has had this bug as well. But that's not important since it'll be fixed anyway.

Offline KingOfHumans

• Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 07:47:45 AM »
Well if it only deletes the borders, the script should still exist.
Don't think I had that bug. Remember how it happened anyways so I can avoid this completely. I could probably fix it though if it does happen.

edit: I figured out this part so far.

Open Zelda Quest Designer Map File
3 - Screen count
0 - Screen ID (0,1,2)
0 - ??
1 - Screen Inside?
1 - ??

The rest, I'm not sure yet.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 08:06:09 AM by KingOfHumans »

Offline Khatuni

• Executive
    • View Profile
Large group sizes
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 09:04:53 AM »
It happens right when you open the QD, suddenly the groups seems to be gone. Happens once every few months. Next time it happens, I'll remember to check the qss file.

Open Zelda Quest Designer Map File
92 - screen count
0 - screen's x
0 - screen's y
0 - screen is inside
1 - screen's x
0 - screen's y
0 - screen is inside

etc.

After the last screen's info:

44 - total number of groups
0 - group's index number
0 - group's x minimum (the border as it's shown in the QD main screen)
0 - group's y minimum
128 - group's x maximum
96 - group's y maximum
0 - ?? no idea
music.it - music for the group
1 - group's index number
128 - group's x minimum
0 - group's y minimum
256 - group's x maximum
96 - group's y maximum
0 - ?? no idea
music.it - music for the group

etc.

The music lines are blank if there's no music selected. Otherwise should be no empty lines in the file.
At the very end are the Quest Properties settings.
Do you have any of those "no idea" 0s set to 1? It doesn't change anything for me if I set them to 1.

Offline KingOfHumans

• Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 12:03:02 PM »
Quote from: Source
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Name: SaveAsQSS()
// Desc:
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
void CGroup::SaveAsQSS( FILE* pOut)
{
   WriteIntToFile( m_lIdent, pOut );

// Save Rectangle
   WriteIntToFile( m_sRect.left, pOut );
   WriteIntToFile( m_sRect.top, pOut );
   WriteIntToFile( m_sRect.right, pOut );
   WriteIntToFile( m_sRect.bottom, pOut );

WriteIntToFile( m_wLoopBack, pOut );
   WriteStringToFile( m_szMusic, pOut);
}

I checked the source of the loopback source and found this
int         m_wLoopBack;   // Probably not used

So looks like GD planned to let the person choose if their music should loop or not, but never added that in the QD and/or OZ itself.

Offline Khatuni

• Executive
    • View Profile
Large group sizes
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 09:10:05 PM »
This is the bug I was talking about in the chat. It happened again today. The .qss file was corrupted for some reason, which removes the screen previews and, in my case, most of the groups. The .qss file, as is it now, matches the QD without the screen previews. The first value in the file was changed to 19 (screen count) where it was above 200. I tried to raise that number, expecting the previews to return. But I had the error "Couldn't load screen preview" and the QD crashed. Then looking into the .qss file again, it was pretty much empty!

The bug might've been caused by trying to load the quest with another QD (in another folder). The QD (over)writes the .qss file at startup with data it cannot load, so it basically erases everything. So here's a big warning: NEVER load a quest with different QD. Since my screens were all over the place, I'll have to look in the screens folder in questdata for the correct coordinates.

Surely bugs like these are easy to fix if we had the QD's source. I'm not blaming anyone, but I think it's extremely important to always keep the source of all OZ components (latest versions) online. Hopefully the current developers will understand that.

Offline KingOfHumans

• Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 10:23:11 PM »
Khatuni was do have the QD source or at GD's version.
GDs QD source is so old that no one can compile it.
Would of been nice if someone back then compiled it with GDs help but no one ever tried to update it until many years after GD left.
And who knows if he could compile it.

I did that same mistake once because I assumed it was in the same area because the names matched(was doing some debugging with a copy back then) but I don't think the group's deleted. If it did though, I know I didn't save so it did not take long to fix.

Offline Khatuni

• Executive
    • View Profile
Large group sizes
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 07:44:19 AM »
It probably depends on the nature of the changement. If the .qss file doesn't load wholly, simply everything will be deleted.

The Gaming Universe  |  The Archives  |  Archived Projects  |  Open Zelda  |  OZ Help (Moderator: red_team316)  |  Large group sizes

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.214 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx