gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484586 Posts in 28410 Topics by 2463 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert August 12, 2020, 03:34:48 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  The Archives  |  Archived Projects  |  Open Zelda  |  OZ Help (Moderator: red_team316)  |  My Quest Goes blurry
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: My Quest Goes blurry  (Read 3642 times)

Offline lordmykel

• Adept
    • View Profile
My Quest Goes blurry
« on: August 06, 2010, 08:14:20 PM »
well, i would like to throw in my two cents here.

I have tried every single thing under the moon to work my Oracle of Ages/Seasons style OZ game, and it freezes while it's trying to load.

Is it due to the version of OZ? My quest is currently decently large. (approx 50 screens by 50 screens)

If it isn't, would someone be able to suggest something that could help? Maybe one of the suggestions will be something I did not try... :lO_o

Offline Aliem

• Ț̼͍̩̹̥̞̩̖͝ ̺̰̟͝s̸҉̜̜̘̥̥̤̬͓͔̰͔̩ͅ ̴̡̭̪͍͇̕c̦̀̀͡ͅ&
  • Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
My Quest Goes blurry
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 08:22:02 PM »
2500 screens?  Odds are its not frozen, it's trying to load that huge number of screens.  What are your PC specs?

Offline Khatuni

• Executive
    • View Profile
My Quest Goes blurry
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 08:28:51 PM »
Could be the number of screens, but what do you mean by 'freezes while it's trying to load'? You mean when you try to test the quest? Does it freeze after the black compiler screens, when the OZ executor window is already there? Do you see only a white or black screen there, or do you see anything of your quest? If possible, check your FPS rate.

Offline KingOfHumans

• Messiah
    • View Profile
My Quest Goes blurry
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 10:54:40 PM »
When was the last time you tested it?
I hope you didn't just create all these screens at once.

So far I haven't had a quest with that many screens, but I do have experience with a quest not loading due to too many sprites.(7000 about) This was for my old computer though. I have no idea what the limit would be now.

Offline lordmykel

• Adept
    • View Profile
My Quest Goes blurry
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 09:26:11 PM »
Okay, trying to reply to everyone here...

First, it freezes after the black compiler screens, and no, I tried testing it multiple times prior to making all the screens at once. My CPU is using Windows XP, if that helps.

And, how do I check my FPS rate? (what IS an FPS rate?)

Sry it's jumbled. Trying to respond to both Khatuni and KingOfHumans here.

Offline KingOfHumans

• Messiah
    • View Profile
My Quest Goes blurry
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 11:20:04 PM »
What's your ram limit?

Khatuni when you say FPS are you talking about the numbers shown when OZ is running?

So OZ worked during those other tests, right?
Do you know what you did recently? Bad entities could cause a freezing. If you have a lot of entities that does searches from the start, it can crash your Open Zelda.

If your OZ runs at all (even if it freezes), open up the ErrorChk,txt file that is located in the same folder as Open Zelda (not the Quest Designer, this is used for QD errors) and if it says anything paste the info here.

Offline lordmykel

• Adept
    • View Profile
My Quest Goes blurry
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 01:35:20 AM »
my RAM limit?
Forgive me please, but I do not know what that is.

And my OZ worked, but I had the same problem mentioned in "Oracle of Rages and Reasons".
When my OZ started up, my maps used the OOA/OOS sprite sheets (map, enemies, etc.) but everything was all blurred. (almost like in the beginning of OOS/OOA when the screen "waves" left and right, except that's frozen and the sprites are all mixed together.

Recently, I haven't even been able to start OZ (many things. Once, it said "Can't write QST File"
Another my entire thing froze after the compilers, and another it froze BEFORE the compilers.)

My dream is to make a game from Oracle Series sprites as opposed to LTTP sprites, and this triviality is becoming a big hassle. My Quest Designer is what I use to start it up. (Test Quest In Open Zelda)

I haven't been able to see my enormous quest once. Only through editing. I haven't actually gotten to playing it because of this.

Offline Aliem

• Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
My Quest Goes blurry
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 02:21:01 AM »
are you letting it actually load, or are you shutting the program down?  The current version is really old, and big quests take a long time to load.  To give you some perspective, 2500 screens is huge.  Bigger, I think, than Gems.  You will need to let it sit for quite a while till it loads.  during this time, it might seem like your system is frozen.

Offline KingOfHumans

• Messiah
    • View Profile
My Quest Goes blurry
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 10:14:58 AM »
Well, with my old computer Gems took about 2 minutes sometimes to load. It's mainly because of my low ram.
Now my quest takes about 5 seconds to load.

So if you had good ram, it may take 2 minutes.
If you have bad ram, it will never load.

Go to your desktop, go to the properties (or screen monitor) and take a screenshot of those values. If you see RAM, that's it.
Your task Manager may list it as well under the performance tap.
 (Physical Memory)
<•11:13:28 AM•> <•&KingOfHeart•> <•System Specs•> <•OS/Build: Unknown Windows NT Kernel OS (6.1 - 7600)•> <•Uptime: 6mins 54secs•> <•Resolution: 1600x900•> <•CPU Info: 4-Intel P2 Celeron, 2925MHz, 0KB•> <•RAM Usage: Usage: 1172/3960MB (29.60%)•> <•Hard Drive Info: C:\ (470.18GB Free, 585.05GB Total), D:\ (1.60GB Free, 11.02GB Total)•>Memory, that's your ram.

If you could get "MIRC" (if AVG allows it), you could get your ram details easily.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 10:17:21 AM by KingOfHumans »

Offline Khatuni

• Executive
    • View Profile
My Quest Goes blurry
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 10:36:35 AM »
FPS means Frames Per Second. If it's very low (below 50), that's usually caused by a scripting mistake or many sprites loading at once. A low fps can cause freezing. Click Options --> FPS Toggle in OZ to show it, but if it's frozen, this won't be possible.

If you don't test your quest frequently and you eventually end up with problems, it's hard to trace what causes them. If you didn't change any script after your last succesful test, it must be the many screens. Copy your quest to make a back-up and then delete a lot of screens till you have only a few left. If that still freezes OZ, the problem lies somewhere else.

Offline lordmykel

• Adept
    • View Profile
My Quest Goes blurry
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 08:04:25 PM »
Yes, well, my quest is 2500 screens currently. I haven't even done inside dungeons and houses yet. I may very well use up the whole thing.

Offline Khatuni

• Executive
    • View Profile
My Quest Goes blurry
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 08:33:28 PM »
To give you some perspective, 2500 screens is huge.  Bigger, I think, than Gems.

Gems 7.4 has 493 screens...  I'm sure even LttP would use less than 2000 screens.

Offline lordmykel

• Adept
    • View Profile
My Quest Goes blurry
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 08:50:57 PM »
Well, remember that I'm using sprites from Oracle of Seasons/Ages.

Is that perhaps why I can't load my OZ file? Not just becasue it's so damn big, but maybe because I'm not using LTTP sprites? Or maybe I have too many sprite sheets loaded in?

I managed to bring up Open Zelda (not quest designer) and start my "Sealed Gems of Sanaria" quest, but when I started, the screen went weird on OZ. Whenever Link moved, a whole bunch of Links were frozen in a trail behind him and the screen was black.

Is there any way to solve that?

Because I'm sure it's happened to you guys at least once during your quest designing.

Offline Khatuni

• Executive
    • View Profile
My Quest Goes blurry
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 09:05:54 PM »
I don't think anyone has ever had trouble with sprites because they were not from LttP. Too many sprite sheets could be a problem, just as well as too many screens.

The trail of Links is because there's no background detected. It happens standard if you just start in a screen without any sprite or fill. So check for the starting position in Options --> Quest Properties and make sure that's in a screen with a background. If it still shows a black screen with a trail of Links after you move him, there's a problem with loading the sprites, and in your case that could be the many sprite sheets or screens.

Come to the chat now if you want more help.

Offline Aliem

• Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
My Quest Goes blurry
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 09:16:27 PM »
The graphics aren't a problem, especially considering those from ooa and oos are 8 bit while those from lttp are 16.  The graphics aren't a problem.

Can you post some screen shots of your quest designer?  The world map and a couple screens would work

The Gaming Universe  |  The Archives  |  Archived Projects  |  Open Zelda  |  OZ Help (Moderator: red_team316)  |  My Quest Goes blurry

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.259 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx