gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484586 Posts in 28410 Topics by 2464 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert July 11, 2020, 06:55:06 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  The Archives  |  Archived Projects  |  Open Zelda  |  OZ Help (Moderator: red_team316)  |  Newbie Questions for my Tutorial
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Newbie Questions for my Tutorial  (Read 620 times)

Offline KingOfHumans

• Messiah
    • View Profile
Newbie Questions for my Tutorial
« on: August 01, 2010, 06:26:55 PM »
I got the rough draft done for my new tutorial. However, I want to know if I covered all the basic newbie questions.
I don't want questions on how to set an item for a chest, or linking a door. Try to think of questions you once had, but never asked.
Here's a list of the questions from my Faqs so far.

Below are some common running issues reguarding Open Zelda.

Open Zelda can't find D3D8.DLL? KERNEL32.DLL is missing "IsProcessorFeaturePresent" feature?
You must have DirectX 8.1 or higher to run Open Zelda.

I have all these weird lines on my Quest Designer, Why?
Your desktop must be set to 16bit to run it properly.

Open Zelda is not running properly
If your using Windows make sure you update all drivers and have all the files extracted. If your using Mac, then OZ will not work for you. Otherwise OZ will run, but there may be some slight graphic issues.

This section will answer some common questions.

Can I make my own quest with these files?
Yes, but I don't recommend it. This tutorial does not contain every file that's avaible to you. I took out some files to make it easier to find what you need. Also, there's a good chance that there are better files out there which more features or less bugs.

What are the mask values?
I could tell you, but it may be different from the official Quest Pack. Besides checking the OZ Faqs, you can just Open the files player1 and l_playerlib to find out what most of them do.

How can I read the ZES, SPT, and INC files?
With notepad(++). Except for a few types, most of these files can be opened up.

How can I backup my quest?
If you only want the miminal files then you need to save your quest's QSS(Save File) and your Quest Data's Folder. If you only save your Quest Data, you can still recover your quest by creating a new game. Next rename your Quest Data's folder to that new name. Then, you will need to resave and regroup every screen. Last, you will need to go into your Quest Data's Folder scrpts and copy each and every group script. So keep that save file, it will save you some aggervation.

I have a bunch of entities, sprites, and sounds I wish to add. What's the best way to do this?
You could add(not create) them to your entity manager, sound manager, and spritesheet manager one at a time. Or you could use the QDResource file(if it still exists). Double click on the file to run it, then close it out when it's done. Second go to your Quest Data folder. There will be three files (entitylist, sheets, and soundlist). Copy those three files into your Quest Data folder and overwrite the current files. By doing this, all the files will be added to your quest. This is not a good method if you have a lot of broken files.

BTW, I said rough draft, so the spelling mistakes aren't fixed yet.

Offline Khatuni

• Executive
    • View Profile
Newbie Questions for my Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 11:16:14 AM »
"In the screen editor, I can't find all of the sprites and fills that are in the game."
Use the left and right arrow keys to move through the spritesheet. Use the up and down arrow keys to cycle through different sprite sheets. All fills on all spritesheets are pictured on the right, use Page Up and Page Down to reveal more.

This happens to 90% of all newbies:

"When I try to test my quest, nothing happens after the black screen(s) pop up."
This means that the executing program wasn't found. Click File --> Configure Quest Designer --> Find OpenZelda.exe and browse for the .exe file.

If you're releasing the tutorial before OZ 7, this one will be necessary:

"Some images that appear on the OZ screen look different from in the screen editor. It looks like a row of pixels is missing, or some pixels of the images are not drawn on the correct position."
This is a known bug for OZ versions older than 7. It happens with certain video cards. You can work around this by making every sprite in the quest with both length and height of a power of 2. So 4x8 or 32x16 is OK, but 32x24 is likely to give trouble.

"I've added a custom sound in the Sound Manager, but when it's played in my quest, there's some noise in the background."
This noise plays with a lot of sounds if the quality is higher than 8-bit, so just convert the .wav to 8-bit with Audacity. The sound quality will be reduced, so for some sounds, it's still better to use 16-bit.

The Gaming Universe  |  The Archives  |  Archived Projects  |  Open Zelda  |  OZ Help (Moderator: red_team316)  |  Newbie Questions for my Tutorial

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.21 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx