gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484569 Posts in 28409 Topics by 2464 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert December 09, 2019, 08:51:28 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  "Lighter" Gamer?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: "Lighter" Gamer?  (Read 1166 times)

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
"Lighter" Gamer?
« on: May 22, 2008, 05:54:50 PM »
I've noticed throughout my years that I tend to enjoy games more than other people. This is just doesn't apply to my current theme, but also applies to other games that elude my mind (and Luminous Arc).

I just seem to enjoy the games as they are, and... have fun playing them. YES, I can see the flaws in the game, but there is usually something that counteracts those flaws; like enjoyable characters; fun gameplay; getting to play as one of your favored characters, etc. I just enjoy games as they are, sometimes I wish the games were better only so I could share with others the good things I enjoy.

I call this type of gamer as a "lighter gamer," someone who does not lay down a hammer on every game, and enjoys it as it is.

Thoughts on this?
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline Aliem

• Ț̼͍̩̹̥̞̩̖͝ ̺̰̟͝s̸҉̜̜̘̥̥̤̬͓͔̰͔̩ͅ ̴̡̭̪͍͇̕c̦̀̀͡ͅ&
  • Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
Re: "Lighter" Gamer?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 06:31:36 PM »
"laying down the hammer", as you put it, is dumb.  Few people will play a game they don't like, and if they don't like a certain game, their reasons are probably valid.  If I don't like a game, I simply won't play it.

I, personally, can't stand Halo.  I think the game sucks.  The controls suck, the story sucks, and the gameplay sucks.  That's just my opinion, though. 

You can't let the opinions of others prevent you from forming your own.  That's why I disregard every single game review I've ever read.  Sure, it's nice to know what others think, but I'd much rather form my own opinion.

If someone dislikes your favorite game, oh well.  That doesn't mean you can't still enjoy it.

Offline KingOfHumans

• Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 06:39:02 PM »
He did not say that he plays games he doesn't like. He just said he'll ignore some flaws with the game. I'm kind of like this as well.

I like all zelda games so far that I got a chance to play. I liked Glover 64 even though I heard by others that it was a terrible game. I heard Sonic Heroes was not that good of a game either but I still liked it.
I don't care what anyone says about a game, I'll play it if I like it. I also ignore any little flaw/bug unless if it ruins the game.

Offline Aliem

• Ț̼͍̩̹̥̞̩̖͝ ̺̰̟͝s̸҉̜̜̘̥̥̤̬͓͔̰͔̩ͅ ̴̡̭̪͍͇̕c̦̀̀͡ͅ&
  • Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 06:48:52 PM »
I wasn't directing that comment to Aegis, but to people in general.  If Aegis plays the game, despite it's flaws, he evidently likes it ;p

Every game has flaws.  If it's got other elements that make up for them, though, they can be ignored.  Otherwise, it will end up in a landfill in New Mexico.

Offline Merrick001

• Regimental
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
"Lighter" Gamer?
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 06:55:31 PM »
I don't know what my favourite game is anymore, but I find myself playing N alot and I hate it mercilessly, because the game is disgustingly hard and very very frustrating. But hoplessly addicting. There's many tradeoffs for a game, but it all varies with opinion.

I, personally, can't stand Halo.  I think the game sucks.  The controls suck, the story sucks, and the gameplay sucks.  That's just my opinion, though.
Agreed, the game could have been honed to better perfection. No scope sniping? Gimme a break...

I distaste any and all RPG games. Especially ones with anime. I just can't stand it. I find all of em to be seemingly ripped from the same fabric. But hey, that's just me. I prefer a realist view of gaming, one that is slowly losing its foothold on the gaming market. That's why GOW2 is attracting my attention, and also Mercenaries 2. Oh-hoh that is gonna be sweet.

I'll play a game if I have to, but if some flaws are encountered, especially when its made by a professional company, then I'm really wasting my time. Video game flaws are irritating. Even when not limiting, they detract from the games perfection, and some quality is what I need when buying a game for ~60 bucks.

Aegis, being a lighter gamer is not a bad thing, it promotes more work in creation of games, whearas me, I am a sort of darker gamer, where I assist in denouncing all the crap games out there with valid reasons.

Otherwise, it will end up in a landfill in New Mexico.

Ahahahaahhaha *Cough*ET*Cough*

Offline AfricanPolarBear

• Needs A Custom Title
  • If you want a game's soundtrack on youtube, PM me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 06:58:40 PM »
Ahahahaahhaha *Cough*ET*Cough*

lol, that geme really sucked. It is stange that there were people who loved it and even tried to convnce people it was bad by using random little things.
Official n00b of the Year (2008)

Offline StephenKP

• Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 07:50:10 PM »
"laying down the hammer", as you put it, is dumb.  Few people will play a game they don't like, and if they don't like a certain game, their reasons are probably valid.  If I don't like a game, I simply won't play it.

You can't let the opinions of others prevent you from forming your own.  That's why I disregard every single game review I've ever read.  Sure, it's nice to know what others think, but I'd much rather form my own opinion.

If someone dislikes your favorite game, oh well.  That doesn't mean you can't still enjoy it.

I completley agree.
Hell, I've manged to ignore your comments all the time. :P

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 08:03:02 PM »
I do agree on the landfill part.

And ET. XD Let's not forget Big Rigs Under the Road Racing! One of the only games to get a 1/10. XD

Oh, and Merrick, I meant lighter gamer as opposed to "heavier gamer," but that works, too.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 08:08:26 PM by Aegis Runestone »
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline Merrick001

• Regimental
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 10:10:40 PM »
I do agree on the landfill part.

And ET. XD Let's not forget Big Rigs Under the Road Racing! One of the only games to get a 1/10. XD

Oh, and Merrick, I meant lighter gamer as opposed to "heavier gamer," but that works, too.

Ahahaha ok yeah thats not confusing ;D

Offline Joefalco

• RPG Maniac
  • Royalty
  • US of A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 12:50:16 AM »
I try to appreciate what a game does and tries to offer to the player.  One game's offering will not be the same as another even if certain aspects of it are entirely the same.  However, I play games for one overarching reason: to have fun.  If I'm not having fun playing a game then the game descends into becoming work which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid when playing a game.

That being said, I might pick up a few things from a game which I may dislike or find irritating but the overall experience of the game keeps me in.  Sort of like plausibility in stories: if you keep the reader entertained enough, he might overlook a few inconsistencies in logic or physics.  When these little things (or in some cases, big things) begin to take away from the overall experience, it's like lifting a curtain.  The player notices the errors more than the fun, and everything snowballs from there.

Now then, every gamer is different and looks for different things in games.  A gamer might look for a certain level or style of graphics or engaging game mechanics or spectacular story/characters, etc.  They might also look for any specific errors.  Really, you only notice if you know what you're looking for and where to look at e.g. anyone can find that lost pair of keys or misplaced umbrella if there's a general idea where one should start searching.  So some people's eyes become accustomed to look for things in a certain way.

To borrow from your example, Aegis, I did not enjoy Luminous Arc myself because I found myself noticing things that began to coalesce into a larger thing that ultimately took away from the fun I first felt when I began playing the game.  Characters that had as much depth as corrugated cardboard, a conspiracy-laden story that felt mediocre, an exhausting game play that became tedious in exercise: these were the things that slowly creeped up on me and revealed itself in its full glory after a time.

Did I like the character art?  Yes.  Did I like the intro movie?  Yes.  Were there any character quirks that amused me?  Yes, even when I realized they were the only things that the character had to its so-called personality.  Were there certain game mechanics or applications that interested me?  Certainly so.

But all these, when put on the scale with the negatives I listed, did not hold much weight.  They were not enough for me to get past those irritants and enjoy the game, warts and all.  The game, to me, had lost its appeal, its magic, if you will.

I do not think it's a matter of "lightness".  Actually, I find a gamer who will hold on to a game regardless of any deficiencies he might find heavily weighted to that game.  But that may speak more to the enjoyment they find in the game than perhaps some stubborn desire to be an apologist for the game and its creators.

We all look for that abstract concept of fun in different ways and where we part in our ways in that holy pursuit is a matter of perspective and taste.  What one person might see as a solid bedrock of entertainment might be sinking sand to another person, a void that consumes time, energy and any fun, happy feelings that are emitted by sleeping kittens.

One might play a game and say it's horse manure and another person's reaction would be horseradish (nice and spicy!).  Some people can swallow whatever bile they find if it's in a shiny enough bottle or others may appreciate the distinct pleasures of eating specially-prepared cuisine.  Taste and perspective, respectively.

In closing, labels such as "light gamers" hold definitions that are very subjective because the opinions of such gamers and their source of entertainment are subjective as well.  Let's toss aside any such titles and realize that each of us are complex beings that have no need to be defined and limited to labels and its special magic.  Because really...gamers, they want to have fun.  Oh gamers just want to have fun.

Fat is back, baby!

Tales from an Alternate Gaming Universe Comic Archive
^All comics, no comments, no searching through countless pages^

Zenith RP: a RP forum. Check it out!

Offline Chibito

• Regimental
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 05:54:31 AM »
I don't know what my favourite game is anymore, but I find myself playing N alot and I hate it mercilessly, because the game is disgustingly hard and very very frustrating. But hoplessly addicting. There's many tradeoffs for a game, but it all varies with opinion.
Lmao, I know the feeling. I played the coop campaign at my older brother's place. Intertwined... *Twitch*

I distaste any and all RPG games. Especially ones with anime. I just can't stand it. I find all of em to be seemingly ripped from the same fabric. But hey, that's just me. I prefer a realist view of gaming, one that is slowly losing its foothold on the gaming market. That's why GOW2 is attracting my attention, and also Mercenaries 2. Oh-hoh that is gonna be sweet.
I like some, some I don't, I thought Tales of Symphonia was awesome, one of my all time favorites.

Otherwise, it will end up in a landfill in New Mexico.
Hahahahahahahahaha

Anyways, I seem to like most games, unless they're REALLY crap, so when I play games, I usually think they're HORRIBLE, good, or OMFG AWESOME!!11111 Most of my games fall into the good category. I'm not sure if I'm a light gamer or not. Maybe neutral? :P

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  "Lighter" Gamer?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.356 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx