gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484410 Posts in 28386 Topics by 2468 Members - Latest Member: BlackNinjaV2 November 17, 2018, 03:21:34 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Dev Lab  |  Game Development  |  Successor to GU Fighter?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Successor to GU Fighter?  (Read 8651 times)

Offline NobodyX

• Accepted
    • View Profile
Successor to GU Fighter?
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2006, 01:48:36 PM »
Hmm, the life bars look a bit too blocky for me. And I don't really like the idea of having portraits in the corner. Other than that, it looks nice.

And we're planning on everything having the same resolution, right?

We'll need a good combat system that is relatively the same between characters, or else the game won't be very good. I think it should be something new, fun, and have enough flexibility. Here's my idea for how the game should work:

Energy:
I can't remember what it was called in GUF1, but I'm referring to the stuff that accumulates after attacking and being attacked. In the second game, it will gained equally between players (I think that in the first, the attacked player got more).

Gerenal Move Types
:

Combo moves: Can be used to prolonge a combo. Will create longer delays for the defending player than it will for the attacker.

Power moves: Generally very powerful. Will seperate the players, thus ending a combo. Generally will send the attacked player flying and they will land on their back.

Special moves: Performed through different button combination. Greatly varies between characters. Can be either of the above move types.

Energy moves: A sub-set of special moves. They use energy and are generally powerful.

Grabs: Unblockable. Will grab and attack a player if close enough. Very powerful and cannot be perform during combos. Only one grab is required for each character.

Jumping
: Every character will jump the same height.

Character Size: Each will generally be the same size.

Combos: In the game, combos are regular moves, and even special moves if the player is good enough, performed in a sequence. Combos are not scripted into the character. Each move in the combo will increase a combo metre (either shown on the screen or not) which will cause the end of a combo when full (and automatically reset). Each move will increase the metre a constant amount, depending on how powerful it is. Every time a move is performed, it will be weaker and the opponent's delay will be shorter the next time it is performed within the same combo (to discourage repetative moves). A player will generally try to do the most damage before the combo ends, and then perform a power move.

A combo can either be performed in the air, on the ground, or both. When a combo is being performed in the air, both players will be suspended there for as long as the combo continues. In the air, there are less combo moves, making air combos generally shorter. Some characters are capable of moving a combo from the ground to the air, and a small few are capable of moving a combo from the air to the ground without ending it.

After a combo is ended by the combo metre reaching the top, the players will be seperated and the will both have equal delays and thus equal opportunities to attack afterwards. If the defending player was blocking during the combo, they will not be seperated and only the former combo-er will have a delay, leaving him/her open to new attacks.

Landing on your Back: A player will land on their back if they're sent flying by a power move. The player is invincible while on their back, but will quickly get up. They will be able to block immediately after becoming vincible (like Mortal Kombat).

Buttons & Attacks:

Primary Attack Button (A)
: Primarily combo moves with some power moves. None will greatle afftect the attackers position.

Single A - A move with practically no delay before or after. The little delay it will have before hurting the opponent will be equal between all characters. Great for starting combos, assuming you're close enough.

Multiple A - Will perform a simple combo that will end its self. Great for if you don't want to risk screwing up a more complex combo.

A & Direction - Largely up to the characters. At least one move must be a power move.

Single A (in air) - A move with practically no delay before or after. Great for starting combos, assuming you're close enough. If another move does not follow, you and your opponent will fall to the ground. If you don't hit the opponent, you're direction and speed won't be changed from performing the move.

Multiple A (in air) - Few characters will have this one. Will perform a simple combo that will end its self. Great for if you don't want to risk screwing up a more complex combo.

A & Direction (in air) - Largely up to the character, at least one of the moves should be a power move (if no A move in the air is, there must be at least one L air move that is). For the most part, they won't change your speed or direction if you don't hit your opponent.

Lunge Button (L)
(Needs better name): Primarily for attacking from afar (mostly on from ground) and performing power moves (mostly from air).

L - Differs between character. Most will not have a non-directional (in terms of buttons) lunge.

L & Forwards - Will quickly move the lunging player towards its opponent. It will start a combo among most characters (if a character cannot start a combo from afar using this, then it can be done using non-directional L). If it is blocked, it will create a delay for the attacker and the defending player has an easy hit.

L & Backwards - Primarily used to retreat during or after a combo. Differs between characters.

L & Up - A quick attacking jump. Great for attacking opponents when they're above you, and great for starting in air combos if allowed by character. Depending on the character, it may knock opponents into the air from the ground, and can either be a power or a combo move..

L & Down - Differs between characters. If the character's L & Up ground move isn't capable of knocking them the opponent into the air from the ground, then this one most likely will.

L (in air) (no direction) - Few characters will have this. It can do whatever.

L & Direction (in air) - In most characters, they are mostly power moves. In all characters, at least one move will be a power move. There doesn't need to be a move for each direction.

Energy Button (E): Hold to gain energy faster. You cannot block or attack while using it. It has only small delays before and after.

Defend Button (D): Makes a player block. Cannot be performed in air. If pressed at the exact time when getting hit by a non-projectile, it can stop the opponent and leave him/her open to attacks.

Grab Button (G): Unblockable. Will grab and attack a player if close enough. Very powerful and cannot be perform during combos. Only one grab is required for each character, but there can be more.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 02:46:03 PM by NobodyX »

--LX Mod: 8-Bit Warfare--
                        -Version 1.2 out with 61 weapons-

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
  • Take me back to the Mother Ship!
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
Successor to GU Fighter?
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2007, 08:21:27 AM »
OL ... I personally LOVE that lifebar you proposed.  Would do wonders!

NX ... perhaps the Lunge button could be referred to as a Melee button?

Energy button's an interesting idea, but I'd think you should be vulnerable if you're taking combat time to power yourself up, just like in any game.  However, since I much prefer the "punch" and "kick" button options, I'd say the energy move you suggest should be a button combo thing, like a special move.

Grabs should be blockable, as they are in reality.  In the case of games, it could confuse the system (and piss off the players) when you execute a move right before the block but the block gets them anyway.

All in all, quite concise and complete.  Very good thinking.  I like it.  However, aside from my suggestions, I'd be more for it as part of GUFG's configuration rather than GUFG2's.  I'd much prefer a more conventional fight game control for GUFG2.
Read my novel, The Death Doll:
Paperback, eBook, or Audible

Latest Fight Comix Release:
2018 JANUARY 22
Episode 208: Filler: Mission Brief 3 (Part 2 of 4)!

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
Re: Successor to GU Fighter?
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2012, 09:13:27 PM »
Holy hells, a massive gravedig from the owner?!

All joking aside, I found an old copy of this thread in my archives of random crap I saved for later use in development (or something else!), and it sparked my interest in getting this thing going, again.

First things first, I will say that other things DO have priority. I am currently getting ready to help Guardian with getting his book ready for publishing, and I have a bunch of other things as well. Secondly, I need to study RH's code to understand some concepts. Other than that, I will be needing some graphics to work with, namely most of what will be necessary for basic movement for one or two characters, as well as at least one stage, and the resolution needs to be what we will be using, not a resized image or something ugly like that.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2012, 09:16:18 PM »
Fun stuff. I've looked  through the main file of the source I got from RedHaze, and in its current state it probably won't even compile. My main focus right now is the file I/O and combo detection. Carry on!
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2012, 10:01:48 PM »
I'll post what I can.

Here's Darth Espa:

And Darth Espa's sprites (Alternate):

And the Jedi Guardian:

And, of course, some lightsabers:

I have a couple of others, but nowhere near finished.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 10:12:35 PM by Guardian »

2018 JANUARY 22

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2018, 07:48:42 PM »
Another massive gravedig. A friend of mine got me playing around with Mugen, and I was wondering how interested anyone would be in not just GUF2, but also finally getting Open Jedi on the table. That's right, two games, vastly different, but from what I understand of Mugen's engine, easily possible.

Offline KingOfHumans

• Always Watching
  • Messiah
  • Here today, gone tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2018, 06:37:18 PM »
Can it be sold on steam?
that be the best motivation for getting old projects out of the grave

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2018, 08:58:04 PM »
You can take all my sprites, but I don't foresee having the time to make more.  But, yeah, I'd love to SEE it (and play it) either way.

2018 JANUARY 22

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Dev Lab  |  Game Development  |  Successor to GU Fighter?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.116 seconds with 19 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx