gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484448 Posts in 28389 Topics by 2469 Members - Latest Member: LanceRis December 18, 2018, 06:55:12 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Dev Lab  |  Game Development  |  Successor to GU Fighter?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Successor to GU Fighter?  (Read 8756 times)

Online Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
Successor to GU Fighter?
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2006, 12:10:17 AM »
In theory, the basic demo for a fighting game would be the best thing to test a character in, imo. With the addition of some way of editting your character's scripts thrown in, you have an editor.

I am considering moving over to this at least partially, but there are concepts in a fighting game I don't fully grasp. I went to Red Haze's website in an attempt to contact him, and have left him a message on his Xanga page (he's making a The Sims clone, btw), and hope he'll contact me/us soon.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
  • Take me back to the Mother Ship!
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
Successor to GU Fighter?
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2006, 11:17:42 AM »
So, where are we on this?  Are we still interested?  Do we have any further ideas?
Read my novel, The Death Doll:
Paperback, eBook, or Audible

Latest Fight Comix Release:
2018 JANUARY 22
Episode 208: Filler: Mission Brief 3 (Part 2 of 4)!

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
Successor to GU Fighter?
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2006, 02:33:42 AM »
Sorry for the double (and the gravedig), but I'm wondering if we've forgotten about this project.

I was just commenting on Makoto's GUFG submission after testing him out and it ocurred to me (after noticing that his ending comes with a "To Be Continued...") that a direct sequel may be a good way to go.  I'm willing to offer a new script (as soon as I write it) of either a made-up enemy or a base off our latest hack ... or possibly play off the 2005 BS Takeover April Fool's day prank.

The question is: who's still in?  I am!

2018 JANUARY 22

Offline Overlord

• Demon Eye
  • Founder
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thegaminguniverse.com
Successor to GU Fighter?
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2006, 02:56:07 AM »
I would be, but I've learned (somewhat painfully) to not invest too much time in anything that has no solid programmer comitted to it. To be honest, as good as GUFG was, after looking at Mugen and commercial fighting games.. it just didn't live up to what it could have.

For a start characters need to be in scale to each other and the same resolution, otherwise it looks cheesy. (ie if someone wants a sonic lookalike maybe someone could sprite one in the right scale rather than use a sonic sprite)

Also the HUD was lacking (I can fix that)

The collision could use a bit of tweaking too (like slight pauses on impact, impact graphics etc) not to mention throwing and grabbing.. I could completely overhaul the control scheme as well.. basically I could do everything needed for this game except actually code it.. x.x

Perhaps I should draw up a features/design document with some default sprited characaters, with your help Guardian, perhaps we can present a feasable design concept complete with script, mechanics layout, level sketches and character designs.

EDIT: Oh, and we should definitely use unique names for characters, they can still represent their GU counterparts but names need to be original, a simple "X Character - GU member" entry in the credits would work to make sure each character was credited by their maker.
[email protected]
-- Retired Head Administrator --
- Advisor -

Offline Aliem

• Ț̼͍̩̹̥̞̩̖͝ ̺̰̟͝s̸҉̜̜̘̥̥̤̬͓͔̰͔̩ͅ ̴̡̭̪͍͇̕c̦̀̀͡ͅ&
  • Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
Successor to GU Fighter?
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2006, 03:02:35 AM »
The problem with GU Fighter is ballance.  Having each person code their character largely from scratch is a horrible, horrible idea.  Having a solid character builder would be nice, but unless all characters behave the same (at least as much as they should), it's just not a good product in the end.

And Overlord is right.  Never commit to a project unless it's got a steady developer.  That's your first goal.

Offline Overlord

• Demon Eye
  • Founder
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
Successor to GU Fighter?
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2006, 03:18:42 AM »
I agree, balance is number one, having characters sprite themselves is fine as long as the set fits within the look and feel of the game. Having them script them is not.

We'll need a couple of steady scripters to balance out stuff, we also need to get a balance between different types of characters. Oh btw, here's the spritesheet of my HUD, I'll work on a character select screen too.

[email protected]
- Advisor -

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
Successor to GU Fighter?
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2006, 03:39:32 AM »
Though interesting, it still looks bulky.  I'd wondered if we could use smaller, thinner bars and smaller parts to show more in the background.

I agree with how GUFG was, but when I said "direct sequel", what I meant was simply in storyline.  The engine itself was hoped to be more like the commercial fight games/MUGEN-type fight games.  UFGE (sorry to say) just didn't measure up, so we'd have to start over again.  But, if you want to use different char names, then there's a couple options:

1. we rename our redesign chars (in some way to make it obvious who was who) as either different versions of ourselves or as descendents
2. we keep our chars as hidden and/or boss chars while the other members who never made it into GUFG become the principal fighters.  Staff are simply conditioning the members, that kind of thing.

I can easily come up with a storyline as long as we decide on what the plot's going to be.  How about running a poll?

2018 JANUARY 22

Offline Dannii

• Overseer
  • Mind the volcano!
    • View Profile
    • curiousDannii
Successor to GU Fighter?
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2006, 05:48:29 AM »
If you're worried about scale, prehaps you should use vector graphics (at least in the designing phase) and then you can get them all exactly the right size before exporting to bitmaps.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Offline Overlord

• Demon Eye
  • Founder
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
Successor to GU Fighter?
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2006, 06:38:44 AM »
On the HUD, I can design several different ones and we can pick the best. If you want smaller I can go smaller and/or less intrusive, perhaps even stray away from the 'horizontal top lifebars' fighting games rely on.

EDIT: this hud is much smaller, more than half as high as the last one.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 07:02:52 AM by Overlord »
[email protected]
- Advisor -

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
Successor to GU Fighter?
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2006, 08:23:08 AM »
I like that better, but it still looks a little cluttered (imo).

As for size, maybe with this particular GUFG, we can insist entries only be accepted if they fit certain size restrictions, such as chars from CAPCOM & SNK fight games, or narrow it even further if we want.  Original sprites should conform to size considerations, but don't have to be in the same style if they don't want.

2018 JANUARY 22

Offline Overlord

• Demon Eye
  • Founder
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
Successor to GU Fighter?
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2006, 08:22:42 PM »
It's actually hard to create a HUD with lifebar, time, power meter and win indicators that doesn't look cluttered ;p But I'll keep on tweaking.
[email protected]
- Advisor -

Online Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
Successor to GU Fighter?
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2006, 08:52:06 PM »
I've expressed interest in working on this, but as is I'm short on time with Z2E alone, and sad to say it's more important to me. If GUF2 isn't being worked on in a year or so when I have more time and am farther along with Z2E, I may be able to work on it.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline NobodyX

• Accepted
    • View Profile
Successor to GU Fighter?
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2006, 12:45:56 PM »
This is a bit of a gravedig, but...

I would love to see a more professional GU fighting game.  One thing I don't like with the current GUF is that it seems to want to be two different types of games. It lacks any good hand-to-hand combat that games like Mortal Kombat would have, and it seems to be more about moving around and knocking your opponent around in a giant arena, except there's nothing to really exprience in any of the levels. We should either make the characters much larger and slower and concentrate on the hand-to-hand aspect to make it like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, or we should have the levels more than just a flat floor. And either way the players should be more equal in their jumping ability.

--LX Mod: 8-Bit Warfare--
                        -Version 1.2 out with 61 weapons-

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
Successor to GU Fighter?
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2006, 08:21:27 AM »
Though I agree with the former and hope that's how GUFG2 turns out, I do like the idea of the latter for another GU game, kinda like Bezerk or Combat!  I see merit.

2018 JANUARY 22

Offline Overlord

• Demon Eye
  • Founder
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
Successor to GU Fighter?
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2006, 08:16:12 AM »
a mockup.. including my new lifebars which are hopefully a little less intrusive ^_^

Actually providing I get better with Blitz, I wouldn't mind takin a stab at this myself.
[email protected]
- Advisor -

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Dev Lab  |  Game Development  |  Successor to GU Fighter?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.18 seconds with 18 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx