gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484576 Posts in 28410 Topics by 2464 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert January 27, 2020, 04:57:06 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  Wii - Yay or Nay?
gfx
gfxgfx

Poll

Yay or Nay?

Yay.  Wii is a good enough name to keep.
15 (22.1%)
Nay.  They should have kept the Revolution.
53 (77.9%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Wii - Yay or Nay?  (Read 7157 times)

Offline Reth_Eldirood

• Enigmatic Immortal
  • Let It Rain
    • View Profile
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2006, 10:08:42 PM »
I was hesitant on the name change at first (Why? We? Wha?), but I can understand some of the reasons, corny as they may be.

As previously mentioned, 'Wii' "We" is supposed to be for everyone.  In addition, it allows for the bad pun in the game controllers, which appear to be called Wii-motes (we-motes, remotes, haha).

Also, keep in mind that Nintendo is a Japan-based company, and just about all of their stuff goes into the Japanese market first.  I dunno if the word 'wii' has a special significance in the Japanese language, if it will be called something different there or not, or if it's just a rather unfortunate example of Engrish gone wrong.  But I sincerely doubt that a decision like this was made by a marketing exec.  This was almost certainly a message that Satoru Iwata (sp?) wanted to send.

The name isn't the issue, though, in my mind.  People buy Pokemon products by the thousands daily, and I think that's a stupid name.  That's not the point.  People like the product.  Some 20 years ago, an early hybrid fruit, called Ugli fruit (now rechristened Uniq fruit) was put on the market (incidentally, it's a citrus fruit that tastes like an orange but is the bigger than a grapefruit).  People bought it despite the rather unfortunate name, and despite the mottled green skin was in fact ugly-looking, or it never would have made it to the point of being renamed.

People buy what they want to buy, because they want to buy it.  Not because of what it's name sounds like.

I personally voted yea.  I preferred Revolution because it had a better tone to it, but I have nothing against Wii.
Māthair mbeannacht ort.  (Mother's blessing upon you.)

"What kind of Foolamancer are you?"
"What kind are you, that made a natural fool of an artificial one?"
Stanley and the Foolamancer, Erfworld

"I should have mentioned - never dare the universe to get weirder."
- Dead Debbie, Indefensible Positions

Current projects:
Twitch streaming Fridays and Saturdays starting 9 PM EST

Offline Lethes

• courage
  • Executive
    • View Profile
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2006, 08:08:06 PM »
Quote from: Reth_Eldirood
or if it's just a rather unfortunate example of Engrish gone wrong.

(Notice Engrish... edit plz)

I voted nay. I think im not gonna buy it now cuz its named wii its just a stupid name and no one can doupt it (well i cant). Im shure other people will buy it but i will just settle for "the lesser" version.
face your fears

Offline TP

• Ultra Strong
  • Regimental
  • Ultra Soft
    • View Profile
    • http://www.aesgames.com
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2006, 11:45:53 PM »
Quote from: Lethes
I voted nay. I think im not gonna buy it now cuz its named wii its just a stupid name and no one can doupt it (well i cant). Im shure other people will buy it but i will just settle for "the lesser" version.

Seems like a foolish reason not to buy a system.  The system itself did have the best showing at E3.  A silly name does not mean a bad system.

Offline Raysyde

• Raysyde Productions
  • Global Moderator
  • Ascended
  • Rayuen Mettarze
    • View Profile
    • Raysyde Productions
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2006, 09:16:19 AM »

I agree with TP The name is not a reason not to buy a system, if that was the case I would of never bought the Saturn and the PSX.

Offline Reth_Eldirood

• Enigmatic Immortal
  • Let It Rain
    • View Profile
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2006, 01:39:53 PM »

Engrish is a slang term, referring to poor or intentionally bad translations from foreign lnguages (usually Japanese) into English. For example, the 'L' sound does not exist in the traditional Japanese language. The closest that exists is the 'R' sound, so someone who is just getting into the English language as a native of the Japanese language may end up saying 'Engrish' on their first tries (hence the slang term).
Māthair mbeannacht ort.  (Mother's blessing upon you.)

"What kind of Foolamancer are you?"
"What kind are you, that made a natural fool of an artificial one?"
Stanley and the Foolamancer, Erfworld

"I should have mentioned - never dare the universe to get weirder."
- Dead Debbie, Indefensible Positions

Current projects:
Twitch streaming Fridays and Saturdays starting 9 PM EST

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  Wii - Yay or Nay?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.265 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx