gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484576 Posts in 28410 Topics by 2464 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert January 25, 2020, 08:34:13 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  Wii - Yay or Nay?
gfx
gfxgfx

Poll

Yay or Nay?

Yay.  Wii is a good enough name to keep.
15 (22.1%)
Nay.  They should have kept the Revolution.
53 (77.9%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Wii - Yay or Nay?  (Read 7155 times)

Offline Marrshu

• Editor
  • Grandmaster
    • View Profile
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2006, 01:30:40 AM »
Quote from: MojoBob
iPod is an atrocious name (that mac fans hated intensely) but its one of the best selling mp3 players out there.

I happen to know a good deal of folks who actually liked the iPod name. Mind you, half of them don't know that mp3s players are not suppsoe to be called "iPods"

Anyhow, as for the name, it'll grow on me. But I still think Revoultion makes the point of their console far clearer then "Wii"

... I do expect alot of word jokes from now on, however. (Nintendo goes "Wii!") >.>;

Offline Kawaburd

• Masquerading as a newbie
  • Overseer
    • View Profile
    • Kaw's art stuff!  Yay!
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2006, 01:40:59 AM »
If you wanna go *WII* but you ain't got drugs yet... you hold out for your life.  Hold on to your little gonads and strife.

...err... couldn't resist. ;p

NEway, I like this.  It's sort of a cross between being their crazy Japanese selves and flippin' a bird to the ol' stars and stripes.  Did cel-da sound like a good idea when it was introduced? ;p

Between that and the remote-stick that goes WII when you press it with your fingers (I swear the bad jokes will never end, but hey it's good free advertisement!), I'm thinking they're trying for a pure "Lets try something NOBODY expects!" curve.  Now, will it work on a global scale?
How can I put things here without a chat to quote from?

Offline Overlord

• Demon Eye
  • Founder
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thegaminguniverse.com
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2006, 07:16:35 AM »
Well I think Marrshu and Meta just coined a somewhat unexpected and brilliant marketting strategy with nintendo.. look at it this way.. such a stupid name amazingly will brand itself into peoples minds just by being what it is ;p

it will become a household name because of the jokes being made.
[email protected]
-- Retired Head Administrator --
- Advisor -

Offline JDizzle

• Do a barrel roll?
  • Regimental
  • [Scrubs] [Lost] [Heroes]
    • View Profile
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2006, 09:31:44 AM »
I don't think it really matters but it's just not so catchy/easy to say. Plus it also sounds like wee (urine). Revolution would of made a hell of a better name but I'm sure Nintendo must know what they're doing.
Tim - Spaced
Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like... f**kin'... Shaft!

Offline Cyclone

• Higher Power
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zcnetwork.net
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2006, 10:32:19 AM »
Put it this way...I'm not going to be chatting IRL with friends saying, "I got a Wii"; they'll think I mean I'm took a piss outside.  Just from that alone, the name is friggin' ridiculous IMO.

Cyclone

Sig. image courtesy of Chayy.

Sephiroth: How do I edit the first bullet bill so it's fire rate is less rapid
inori: Well, first you die. Then its fire rate goes down to zero.
Marrshu: No actually it continues firing

GU Award Winner of Best Moderator (early 2004) and Best Global Moderator (rest of 2004).

As a general rule. don't solve puzzles that will open a portal to hell. It will ruin your day.

Offline Yondaime

• Scholar
    • View Profile
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2006, 12:17:28 PM »
I agree with overlord it is just a name. it doesn't really bother me, if the people around you make fun of your "wii," it is really just a sign you need more mature friends. If it sounds corny it sounds corny but cmon people, you will still buy it anyway. So in reality the name doesn't change your opinions about the game console itself.
I think wii is a funny name, and for that reason I say:
Oui
Yondaime

Team 7

Support Uzumaki Naruto. Support Hokage Village. Started by our very own Gallant Samurai.

Offline Autumn(L)

• Regimental
    • View Profile
    • http://altforums2.proboards57.com/index.cgi
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2006, 12:26:36 PM »
i think  that, if the graphics, and game play are good, then screw the name:P
The King of GFX

Latest:

Current:

Winner of best banner in the 2007 GU awards =D
That's right best banner
:O

Offline Koin

• Accepted
    • View Profile
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2006, 02:18:03 PM »
It sure is an odd name, but I still like it.

Offline Marrshu

• Editor
  • Grandmaster
    • View Profile
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2006, 02:19:47 PM »
Quote from: Overlord
Well I think Marrshu and Meta just coined a somewhat unexpected and brilliant marketting strategy with nintendo.. look at it this way.. such a stupid name amazingly will brand itself into peoples minds just by being what it is ;p

it will become a household name because of the jokes being made.

... you really do not want me to make a video clip of me singing Gonads and Strife with Nintendo references... >.>;

Offline TP

• Ultra Strong
  • Regimental
  • Ultra Soft
    • View Profile
    • http://www.aesgames.com
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2006, 03:15:31 PM »
I really don't want you to Marrshu, that's for sure.

I'm sure also that there is no doubt on the quality of the system, I just don't think the name change will attract anybody.

Offline Crisis

• View Profile
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2006, 03:22:51 PM »
BIG FAT NAY!
Why did they even change the name anyways. I think some people just lost hope for anything they had been hoping for.
And its a huge point deduction for Nintendo as well.
Still knockin' the rust off!
~Crisis~

Offline EIHoppe

• Scholar
    • View Profile
    • EI's (WIP) RP forum/site
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2006, 04:00:08 PM »
I don't like it in a public sense (i.e. I'll tell my friends I got a "Revolution"), but like everyone else, it won't stop me from getting the system and I do have to admire this rather...bold strategy for marketing.

This, obviously, puts me on the fence between "yea" and "nay", but I voted "nay" mostly because of the potential public humiliation in announcing you've newly acquired one.

And with all that, I've said nothing new. Oh well! At least I reiterated in a supposedly fresh way. =P

~EI
Destroy the core!
(Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start!!)

---------RPGs---------
All of my future RPGs are likely to be hosted on my own RP forum: Zenith RP.
Shin Megami Tensei--Prophecy: In progress on Zenith RP.
Shattered Heart, Steel Soul: Regs posted on Zenith RP.

"The religion of one age is the literary entertainment of the next." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline I_am_Torgo

• Regimental
    • View Profile
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2006, 05:53:13 PM »
Quote from: MojoBob
As for the name itself, look at it this way, is Xbox a good name? I mean and 'x' box? What about Playstation? or Dreamcast? or Gameboy? etc. NO console has ever had a really good name.
What nintendo has done is try to distance themselves from video game stereotypes. Why do we need a 'cool' name? iPod is an atrocious name (that mac fans hated intensely) but its one of the best selling mp3 players out there.

I voted nay, but I really have to come down with MojoBob on this.  The name is stupid, but console names are regularly stupid.  I still remember how stupid 'X-box' sounded when it was first announced.  'X-box 360' was even worse; It sounds like a skatboarding trick some gaming nerd might come up with.  Now it's just an everyday part of gaming lexicon.  We don't even think about it anymore.

And let us not forget when they were originally going to call the Nintendo 64 the 'Ultra 64'.  That one takes the cake because it still is so phenominally stupid sounding even ten years later.

All that said, the name will not stop me from getting the Wii.  Getting used to calling it that is going to be another issue.  If nothing else, I agree that the logo is nice, clean, and simple, and if nothing else, Nintendo at least should get some credit for thinking of a name as outside the box as the system itself.

Offline Zel

• View Profile
    • http://zel.sheezyart.com
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2006, 06:47:31 PM »
I think if the name sticks every one is going to start calling it the Niintendo W-2.

It was funny last night, the local news anchors were having a lively discussion on what Nintendo had to be smoking to come up with that name. They finally came to the conclusion it had to be some sort of chemically enhaned pot.  I seriously hope Nintendo reconsiders going with that name.

Also Untra 64 doesn't sound stupid to me.
This post brought to you by Zel.

Offline Phoenix Gamma

• Royalty
    • View Profile
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2006, 06:57:55 PM »
Atari was a cool name...Nintendo was kinda cool too...

Gamecube should have stayed as Dolphin.

I say the Wii should be called some long, crazy name. Like "Nintendo-Videogame-Mega-System-Revolution 5000: White Edition"

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  Wii - Yay or Nay?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.223 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx