gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484576 Posts in 28410 Topics by 2464 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert January 25, 2020, 08:34:06 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  Wii - Yay or Nay?
gfx
gfxgfx

Poll

Yay or Nay?

Yay.  Wii is a good enough name to keep.
15 (22.1%)
Nay.  They should have kept the Revolution.
53 (77.9%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Wii - Yay or Nay?  (Read 7154 times)

Offline Raysyde

• Raysyde Productions
  • Global Moderator
  • Ascended
  • Rayuen Mettarze
    • View Profile
    • Raysyde Productions
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 03:43:47 PM »
I agree with Marrshu, where did the name come from?

Offline Favion

• Space Cowboy
  • Grandmaster
  • See You Space Cowboy...
    • View Profile
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 04:12:11 PM »
That, my friend, is a bad name for a system. I mean, come on, the wii? Too wierd. And the end of it is too soft. I may seem like a small deal, but it isn't. I mean, the Rev ended with an N, and Ipod, ends with a D, and Google, ends in well, OOGLE :P

I say go back to the Revolution. VOTE NAY XD
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
-Jimi Hendrix
"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear."
- John 4:18

Offline Aleksey

• Scholar
  • The average person thinks they aren't.
    • View Profile
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 05:40:37 PM »
"...and everything went fine for Nintendo until they suddenly changed the name of their revolutionary new console from Revolution to Wii. Wives started going insane, husbands were dying, children were being massacred..."
-Dr. Schattenjagger

There is nothing new under the sun, just lots of things we don't know about.
-----
Learning to fly is basically learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

Offline Lassie

• View Profile
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 05:55:25 PM »
Personally, I don't think the name change is going to do much for anyone that was dead-set on buying the console already.  As for scaring the Nintendo oldbies away... it'd take a lot more than just a name change to do that.

The thing I think Nintendo will suffer with is the younger crowds, to whom the new name will be a never-ending font of first-grade-level bashing.  The fanboys of the PS3 and 360 will have so many field days with this.

Personally, I'm still very much eager to see what the Wii can do.  I think this'll go down in history as a "D'oh!" moment for the folks at Ninty though.

Offline Phoenix Gamma

• Royalty
    • View Profile
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 06:23:29 PM »
wii want a name change!

Offline MasterOfHyrule

• I am the King!
  • GU Reporter
  • Redeemed
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Videos
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2006, 06:30:55 PM »
You like the name, PG?

I think they should of kept the Revolution name.  It just was like, "WOW, Revlolution... this must be good!

Wii.. is like We as in Gamers but I want the Revolution!

Offline Overlord

• Demon Eye
  • Founder
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thegaminguniverse.com
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2006, 07:31:55 PM »
Names don't bother me, the logo is very cool, with the ii looking both like revmotes and people. So it gets my vote for that. It could be called Nintendo Crapstick 2000 and I'd still be every bit as excited about it.
[email protected]
-- Retired Head Administrator --
- Advisor -

Offline Antarias

• Inconveniently Insane
  • Atoned
    • View Profile
    • Team unKnown 2142
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2006, 07:55:44 PM »
*copy points from what people have said*

voted, Nay....

-Acid-
A.K.A: DC, Acid
------

Offline lord guthix

• Adept
    • View Profile
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2006, 08:24:02 PM »
my vote is NA why did they change the name anyway?
have fun in the sun and get laid in the shade

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2006, 09:37:53 PM »
On Nintendo's site it's "wii" (we) for emphasis that the console is for everyone.

Even so, it's weak IMO.  If anything I would think of wii as in "weee this is really fast" or something like that. :linkshrug

Even though it's not the best name in the world, it's at least imaginative IMO. More imaginative than the Game Cube which (shockingly enough) looks like a cube.

While I'm not too crazy about the name, only time will tell how well it does. I got so used to calling it the Revolution that I forgot that Revolution was just it's code name so it'll take me a while to get used to using the new name.

Still I don't know if just calling it Wii for short will be too good of an idea. It's like "Go to your local store and buy a Wii controller!" ok...so I'm going to buy a little controller? Written I don't see a problem, but spoken it's way to easy to have a field day and/or get confused.

If anything it many be easier IMO to call it NESWii ("nesswee"), or NintenWii ("nintenwee") for the short name, or at least something like that when you are talking about it in person with someone. :linkshrug

(Yes that is a big NAY from me. :linktongu)
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

Offline Seth

• Executive
    • View Profile
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2006, 09:40:37 PM »
I liked the old name better, but it will in no way stop me from buying it the day it comes out.
Mongi Tank Demo Video
Yes I know the UI sucks, just wanna get it stable first.

If you have any ideas or suggestions for items you want to see, shoot me a PM. Accepting donations of .x or .3ds models for maps and other tanks (You will be given acknowledgment in the credits).

Offline Overlord

• Demon Eye
  • Founder
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thegaminguniverse.com
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2006, 10:58:38 PM »
Let's first remember that in Japan, it's highly likelt the word (or slang) 'wee' doesn't exist, so they wouldn't ever had thought about that.
[email protected]
-- Retired Head Administrator --
- Advisor -

Offline Eliwood

• Atoned
    • View Profile
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2006, 11:13:59 PM »
Quote from: Overlord
Let's first remember that in Japan, it's highly likelt the word (or slang) 'wee' doesn't exist, so they wouldn't ever had thought about that.

From the sound of it, NOA also took part in this, so it was a very conscious decision. I actually think that the reasoning behind the name was really clever (the 2 controllers, 2 players idea). They spent 6 months deliberating over it (source: NYtimes), so it's not like it was plopped out at the last minute.

Is Wii that much more revolting a name than other names that came up in the past? How about Naked Juice or Virgin Airlines? Granted that those aren't gaming systems, they're products or services with names that dared to be different and to catch attention, good or bad.

What Nintendo is trying to get at is to establish a name that's as revolutionary as the system itself, and it has succeeded at that. I'm not saying that it's the best name they could have chosen, but I'm one of the two votes diverging from the "hardcore" gaming crowd here and saying that this name will sink in over time, just like other names which sounded awful when they first came but eventually became accepted.

Offline MojoBob

• View Profile
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2006, 12:52:29 AM »
Quote from: Overlord
Names don't bother me, the logo is very cool, with the ii looking both like revmotes and people. So it gets my vote for that. It could be called Nintendo Crapstick 2000 and I'd still be every bit as excited about it.

I'm glad you said that you thought the logo was cool. Because it is, and is very clean / well though out (design wise).

As for the name itself, look at it this way, is Xbox a good name? I mean and 'x' box? What about Playstation? or Dreamcast? or Gameboy? etc. NO console has ever had a really good name.
What nintendo has done is try to distance themselves from video game stereotypes. Why do we need a 'cool' name? iPod is an atrocious name (that mac fans hated intensely) but its one of the best selling mp3 players out there.

To be honest I'm not bother what it is called. If you want it to be called revolution, then call it Revolution...or Trevor or whatever. While everyone else is worrying about the name, I'll just be playing the games. :)

Offline Icey Hotshot

• Atoned
    • View Profile
Wii - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2006, 12:57:08 AM »
It's not like the name will stop me from buying it, but I think it's extremely lame.  Also the spelling seems pointless, if you want it to be emphasized as "we" for it's universal appeal, then call it We.  Not wii... unless it means something in Japanese.  Either way, stupid.

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  Wii - Yay or Nay?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.122 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx