gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484586 Posts in 28410 Topics by 2464 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert July 10, 2020, 04:56:03 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  Shadow the Hedgehog
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Shadow the Hedgehog  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
Shadow the Hedgehog
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2005, 02:07:10 PM »
Quote from: Eliwood
The Advance games were so-so. 2D, but they IMO didn't recapture the magic of the original for one reason or another. Sonic Rush, the DS installation actually comes closer to the original Genesis games from what I've heard.

I'm going to say this now because I hear it too much.

FACT: No new game will ever recreate the 'magic' of the original/originals of the series because we've already gone through the original and it's NOT new anymore. You will never get that same feel again, ever.

A lot of the newer Zelda games--for example--have been considered too easy, but I bet you money that most of those people making those claims are Zelda Veterans. They know the ropes and how a Zelda game works, therefore, a new game may not be as challenging to Veteran to a person who has never played it before. Games like Ocarina of Time, Metroid Prime would be considered exceptions because those the first 3D variations of the game, therefore, they were very difficult. Majora's Mask and Metroid Prime 2, however, were just not as hard(though the developers did a darn good job of trying to make them hard and some parts were harder, but overall, OoT and MP1 were harder than their sequels).

This is so true in Minish Cap considering it uses elements from about every Zelda game there is, if you have played/beaten almost all of the Zelda games, then this game is cake for you. For someone that it is their first Zelda game, they may have a very difficult time with it. (Though hand them Zelda 2 and they'll scream. ^_~) Yes, many of the older games ARE harder, but I think with a lot of newer games, the difficulty is pretty even, it's just the Veteran skill that kills that difficulty.

Face it, if you're a veteran of the series, from the original game to now, there will never be a new game of that series that'll recreate that 'magic'. Some might come close, but most will not. It's a fact of games in general and I doubt Sonic is except from that.

Aside from that, I thought the Sonic Battle games were fun, but... IMO, whatever happened to Sally? Bah. -_-
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline Phoenix Gamma

• Royalty
    • View Profile
Shadow the Hedgehog
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2005, 08:03:03 PM »
again, Sonic rush is the best sonic game since SOnic 3 and Knuckles, folks...

noone listens to me ;_;

Offline Eliwood

• Atoned
    • View Profile
Shadow the Hedgehog
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2005, 08:20:12 PM »
Quote from: Aegis Runestone
FACT: No new game will ever recreate the 'magic' of the original/originals of the series because we've already gone through the original and it's NOT new anymore. You will never get that same feel again, ever.

Oh, I don't expect 100% of the original, but it's reasonable to expect that they could get 90% of it on a lucky day? Not all sequels are bad, and some end up being better than the original(s), but those are exceptions to your "rule."

And I do agree with PG that Sonic Rush is the best Sonic game since the Genesis games. Hopefully, it'll sell well, and the Sonic Team will get the message.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 09:37:03 PM by Jon »

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
Shadow the Hedgehog
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2005, 08:59:24 PM »
I never said that the sequels are always bad, I said that they will never carry the same feeling as the original.
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline Phoenix Gamma

• Royalty
    • View Profile
Shadow the Hedgehog
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2005, 11:42:06 AM »
::still ignored::

EDIT: Ah, someone did notice me...

let's get back on topic, eh?

I recently stored the soundtrack of this game on my mp3 player. The music is REALLY good (no songs that talk specifically about the characters, woo hoo \m/)

Offline tornado261

• Accepted
  • Bored Beyond Reckoning
    • View Profile
Shadow the Hedgehog
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2005, 08:45:55 PM »
I say that sonic died with on the 3d systems after dreamcast.  

All the gc has is heroes, the worst sonic game EVER, (IT HAS ONLY TWO EMENIES PEOPLE)  the new one, which everyone says sucks, and the remakes of the dreamcast ones.

The new sonic games make me say something that i really dont want to say.  "The games were better before graphics mattered."
Have you ever heard of the phrase 'Love thy neighbor'? It's a line written in one of the most renowned books in mankind's history. But why do you think the line appears in such a book? It's because, without reminding ourselves of that, we tend to keep killing each other.

I picked the name 'cause it sounds cool, whats wrong with that?

Offline KingOfHumans

• Messiah
    • View Profile
Shadow the Hedgehog
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2005, 09:03:30 PM »
Quote from: Janus
Sonic, in my opinion, died with the Genesis.
I think Sonic just died with the 3d games. I liked this one pc 3d sonic game but not that much. So any 2d sonic game that's made in the future will still interest me but not the 3d ones.
So you don't have to worry about me buying this game.

Offline Kixxe

• View Profile
Shadow the Hedgehog
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2005, 10:13:50 AM »
Quote from: tornado261
I say that sonic died with on the 3d systems after dreamcast.  

All the gc has is heroes, the worst sonic game EVER, (IT HAS ONLY TWO EMENIES PEOPLE) the new one, which everyone says sucks, and the remakes of the dreamcast ones.

The new sonic games make me say something that i really dont want to say. "The games were better before graphics mattered."

Hmm, weritd, i could have sworn that both sonic adventure 1 and 2 was ported to GC with new levels, functions and minigames. Yes, they count.

And no, Games where't better "before". Games where DIFFRENT before. If you played the old games like they where new, you would say "Bleh, the gameplay is so weird! And whats with the really bad grapichs?" Or smilar. No, you would't say "OMFG BEST GAME EVA!"

If i played windwaker first and then OoT came out (think altenetive universe) i would go WTF about many things and talk about how it's a step back from Wind Waker.

Your gonna be a litthe baised towards your "childhood memories" or "The first gameing experience. SMB was a good game. SMBW is better. I like sunshine more then SMB64. I almost like Windwaker more then OoT. I think ALttP is sucky compared to minish cap. Offcourse, thats just my oppinion, but you ARE being baised towards the old games.

Offline Eliwood

• Atoned
    • View Profile
Shadow the Hedgehog
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2005, 02:47:44 PM »
Quote from: Kixxe
Your gonna be a litthe baised towards your "childhood memories" or "The first gameing experience. SMB was a good game. SMBW is better. I like sunshine more then SMB64. I almost like Windwaker more then OoT. I think ALttP is sucky compared to minish cap. Offcourse, thats just my oppinion, but you ARE being baised towards the old games.

You almost hit the nail on the head, but you've left out one essential element. Yes, Super Mario World is better than Super Mario Bros, but given the context, which was better for its time? That's really what counts, and that's what separates truly great games from merely good ones (this isn't to say that SMW is bad. It's my favorite in the whole series!). For a more current example, Perfect Dark Zero is certainly better than the original in absolute terms. The framerate is smooth, the graphics are drastically improved, and gameplay has been expanded, but the original was far better in its time 5-6 years ago.

When judging games, newer games will almost always supercede older games, but once you place older games back in their proper context, they do indeed stand out.

Offline Zandor Strife

• Berserker
  • Atoned
    • View Profile
    • http://goldenrunegaming.proboards.com
Shadow the Hedgehog
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2005, 07:05:49 PM »
I didn't know that at all Eliwood.

My 9 year old nephue plans on buying this game and I may buy it too if I feel like it that is.

I'll have to rent the game sometime when I have the money and see if it's good or bad.
In the world there is both light and dark.

I'm formally knowen as Josh so now I'm Zandor.

No girlfriend yet, but I hope to have one again someday.

Most posts in 1 year: 1,226 posts in 2005
Most posts in a day: 60 posts on 3/21/05
Old recored: 58 posts done on 4/2/05

Just and online RPG link for you to check out.

Offline Eliwood

• Atoned
    • View Profile
Shadow the Hedgehog
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2005, 07:23:16 PM »
Try that first. Renting for $5 is better than stomaching $50 especially since there's a strict no-return policy on games.

Offline Zandor Strife

• Berserker
  • Atoned
    • View Profile
    • http://goldenrunegaming.proboards.com
Shadow the Hedgehog
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2005, 07:27:34 PM »
Thats true Eliwood.

Renting a game first is the best way to see if you want to buy it or not.

I hope to do a review on one GBA game soon.

I got to go now so I'll rent this game either next week or the week after if Block Buster gets it in.
In the world there is both light and dark.

I'm formally knowen as Josh so now I'm Zandor.

No girlfriend yet, but I hope to have one again someday.

Most posts in 1 year: 1,226 posts in 2005
Most posts in a day: 60 posts on 3/21/05
Old recored: 58 posts done on 4/2/05

Just and online RPG link for you to check out.

Offline Truth Spirit Aura

• Xuyun!
  • Blessed With Thunder!
    • View Profile
    • Just Like (a) Human
Shadow the Hedgehog
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2005, 11:25:51 PM »
Shadow the Hedgehog was a disappointment, really. Cousin rents the game for $6.50 here, and plays it into the ground. He had finished the game, repeatedly, in about three days.

I had to put up with its (what the bleeding crap?) soundtrack for the entire duration.

I wouldn't touch it at all. I normally would give anything a try at least once, but something about ShTH haunted me. Perhaps it reminded me a little too much of Sonic Heroes, trimmed back into single character mode.

Also, why should swords only last for four object/enemy contacts? That bothered me a little. Give it an integrity scale, yes; Let it subtract a little if it hits an enemy, yes; Let it subtract a bit more when it's rock/wood/stage objects, yes; Judge enemies and stone as the same, no.

Just keep running, falling, till you reach the border. There you reach out, find out: Blessed with all the Thunder of the World.
Homeless isn't a fad. It's sweeping our nation, however. I'm all swept up in it. ;_;
Get a better browser. Mozilla, Camino, and Mozilla Firefox. Opera. Experience the internet in a new light.

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  Shadow the Hedgehog

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.231 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx