gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484586 Posts in 28410 Topics by 2464 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert July 10, 2020, 04:17:22 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  General Chit Chat  |  The Portal  |  I'm back. Or am i?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: I'm back. Or am i?  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Kixxe

• View Profile
I'm back. Or am i?
« on: November 17, 2005, 09:17:56 AM »
For a halfyear ago, i left. I saw the desceasement of GU. How pepole was almost banned for minor errors. How the Genral Chit Chat was totaly SWARMED with Blog posts.  How the game forum where littred with charater contests and other crap with phew new treadhs about games themself. I saw how the projects progressed... slowly, slowly, SLOOWLY forward, without any notice of smaller updates that was the most important. Those small updates with a phew new fuetures that drive a community forward. No treadhs intrested me, so i left. I did'nt leave

But, alas, i retured, for 2 days ago, starting to lurk around. I looked around, and saw not much had change, spite the totaly new GUI and my delay of a half year. The General chit chat was still litterd neck deep in Stupid blog posts. The Gameing forum was a mixed match of Stupid stuff that was really boring no stucture. Only mixed posts about tournaments, lists and stupid links. The projects still had done nothing to improve  their means, they where still at the same thing. LieroX version 6 is still a "beta". Open legends still hasen't got a "offcial" release.
The mood had lightend, but it still was still the same old clutter of noobs and grammar nazis. Mods and spammers. Ying-Snob and Yan-idiot.

Anyway, I don't know if im back yet. Gu has not changed much, and still have many flaws. Many MAJOR flaws. I still have hope for GU. I still hope for GU to become good community, with talanted artists, programmers and just any regular joe can exchange ideas and show off their talents and jokes, their wits and their emotions.
But first, we need change.

In the 6 months i've been gone, i have gone around some diffrent forums, and found many diffrent solutions. Here are my proposuals.

1. More sub-forums.

Trying to find a treadh about something you care about when it's suronded bye 20 other treadhs about things you could't give anything about. Please, add a Blog subforum to the general chitchat and a links and polls to the gameing forum.

2. Better/Ligther mood.

Fo shizzle, this is almost the most important thing.  Membears should't be trained to hunt down rule breakers. Noobs should't spam. Mods should be polite and respectfull as posibole. Ask nicely, say "the magic word" and we who needs 4 pepole saying DO NOT DUBBLE POST. Mutual respect anyone?

3. Acessablity
I've searched for 2 days, logged in, but i have yet to find the arcade. (Im belive it's still here since the forum is still here?) I had trouble finding the forum since it's not a big button at the top. This is frustrating, and could proably be esayly advoided. The forum is the main fueture here, why dosent it have a button?

That is all i have for now. Thank you for your time.

Offline Black Spark

• Redeemed Admin
  • Advisor
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • http://www.blackspark.net
I'm back. Or am i?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 10:29:42 AM »
WB :)

We recently upgraded, so if you miss some hacks, and a linkie to the arcade for example; blame us admins :P  All will be handled though.

1-more subs and blog? Though not carelessly throwing it away, I dunno about that.
2-thats true, we all like to see it thatway, but if ppl just keep doing it.....
3-that will be handled as well

Offline Legendary MMSX

• Executive
    • View Profile
I'm back. Or am i?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 10:47:36 AM »
GCC nowadays is mostly filled with Anniversary, tombstone, or birthday posts, which does get annoying.  Two word posts are becoming more frequent I noticed, but nothing is being said about that.  GL still has little activity, and the people that do post very great posts (Eliwood) barely get replies. A&E is still typical, nothing wrong with that though.  Projects, can't say much about them.  You shouldn't rush developers, but if a game isn't progressing then I think it's time to rethink it having a board.

About intersting threads, well I agreed that there were of lack of them before.  Then I realized, if you kind of feel this way, not make a thread of something YOU find interesting?  You can't always expect people to make threads for you, you have to take the initiative sometimes.  

Welcome Back though!  Hope you can contribute more and enjoy your visit this time! :dpold_man
:dpoldman <--- Bring back the old man! hehe
Also known as Legendary Hoamaru
Want to watch recorded video game(Mostly Mugen) videos? Click here

Offline M-BASS™

• Yikes!
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
I'm back. Or am i?
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 10:49:40 AM »
Welcome back. Like BS already said, GU is under construction. There are more ppl who like to play the arcade, but we all have to wait a little until it's back.

Offline Zeo

• Angel of Vengence
  • Founder
  • Chaos Angel
    • View Profile
I'm back. Or am i?
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 11:22:52 AM »
GCC is kinda mena tto be a bloggy kind of place you want more serious stuff lok at TU.
All cats have an attitude problem, just most have figured out humans are better at the game.

Truthful words are not beautiful; beautiful words are not truthful. Good words are not persuasive; persuasive words are not good.
Lao Tzu

Offline Kixxe

• View Profile
I'm back. Or am i?
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 12:23:17 PM »
You mean Spammy?

I've have nothing agsint blogs, i read my share of em. However, seperating blogs from normal chitchat is a good thing. I don't want blogs removed, i just don't want  to read 40 of em when i want to read other things. Allow me to demostrate

Warning! Big picture (png)

http://forums.thegaminguniverse.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2880&stc=1&d=1132251633

Offline Aliem

• Ț̼͍á̩̹̥̞̩̖͝ ̺̰̟͝s̸҉̜̜̘̥̥é̤̬͓͔̰͔̩ͅ ̴̡̭̪͍͇̕c̦̀̀͡ͅ&
  • Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
I'm back. Or am i?
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 01:12:19 PM »
Adding subforums is messy and not worth the trouble.  It takes traffic away from other forums, when in reality the topics could all go into one.  This is why the Library was removed.

A lighter theme is in the works.  GU just upgraded; we have always only had one skin upon upgrade.  Be patient.

The arcade hack hasn't been added yet, as with the skins, this may take time.  Again, just be patient.

I do agree with you, if one person has informed said person about double posting, it does not help said member if five or six others say it down the line.  Though this is generally best left to moderators, which is why we have them.

I'm not quite sure what point you were trying to convey with that picture, though.  If you don't like the topics in GCC, then you don't have to read them -- you could always post some original topics ;)

Quote from: kixxie
You mean Spammy?
It's not spam.  It's general chatting.  That's the purpose of General Chit Chat.

Offline Kixxe

• View Profile
I'm back. Or am i?
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 01:33:45 PM »
Not really. If there is content enougth for both parts, spiltting em up is a smart thing. It's like having a tall pile of pappers. It's better to seperate them into 2 piles so you find what you are looking for. Right now, we have many diffrent piles, and it would be better to seperate that big one into 2.

Oh, the old "If you don't like don't look/use/make/do it!". That argument is an automatekly FAIL, since most of the time i WANT something, just not THAT part of it. I want GCC to be chatting about stuff that dosen't matter. You know, links to funny sites, Joyfull discusion about politics without all the strictness, about shows and other things you whatch, about everything thats happening.
i WANT GCC to be a litthe spammy. I want it to convey many ideas without compltely mature about it and just for the HECK of it. The FUN kind of Spammy.

My picture? My picture is that GU has... issue/s. I know your trying to fix it, im just giving suggestions.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
I'm back. Or am i?
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 01:45:28 PM »
Considering GU has over 150 forums now, I doubt another is REALLY necessary. You haven't seen the mess of forums GU has in the AdminCP. We don't need yet another forum that will sit and rot. The Library was doomed from the start because few would bother to look IN it. The same would be said about a forum for "blog" posting, as well as a few other things, like the anniversary/milepost/bday threads.

As for the "blog" posts, I'd like to think it makes GU more like a family that we DO share our personal experiences.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Marrshu

• Editor
  • Grandmaster
    • View Profile
I'm back. Or am i?
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 02:06:23 PM »
Quote from: Rowan
As for the "blog" posts, I'd like to think it makes GU more like a family that we DO share our personal experiences.

I agree with Rowan here. When people express their opinions, it makes GU feel like we're a family of sorts. ;)

Anyhow, Welcome back Kixxie :)

Offline Kixxe

• View Profile
I'm back. Or am i?
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 02:11:07 PM »
Well, i can understand the death of the libary. If you look in arts and entertiament, you'll see slim to none Story/songs/poems. Lotsa sprites, banners and a phew avatars here and there. About 4-5 of 40 is Libary material.

Look up 4 posts. There i have a comparsion of GU and VGCats. Now, on page one as big as my screen goes, blogs take up 50 % of the treadhs there. Isen't that suffient material for a new forum? 19 Forums are what we have if we count all GU  minus projects and archives. Im sure if it was all about clutter in forums, we could proably remove some of the forums for the dead/verge of death projects. Or why not mold the subforum for Registrating for RPG's into one? Why do we even have one? Maybe cause we don't want to mix and match diffrent treadhs that have litthe in common except the overall thing that they are RPG?

I've have nothing agsint blogs, i read my share of em. However, seperating blogs from normal chitchat is a good thing. I don't want blogs removed, i just don't want to read 40 of em when i want to read other things

EDIT: Oh, and thanks everyone for welcoming me. ^.^
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 02:17:26 PM by Kixxe »

Offline Luzo

• Atoned
    • View Profile
I'm back. Or am i?
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 02:54:56 PM »
Welcome back Kixxie, not sure if I remember you. I don't think GU's spammy though. Maby sometimes, but not the most.

Quote from: BS
blame us admins

*Blames the admins :P* When do you expect to get the hacks back?

Again, welcome back kixxie.

Offline Cyclone

• Higher Power
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zcnetwork.net
I'm back. Or am i?
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 02:59:35 PM »
Welcome back...we do appreciate constructive criticism, vbut keep in mind we are still rebuilding after the upgrade to 3.5.1.  All will be fixed with the arcade, :)

As for subforums...it's enough of a mess as it is from the standpoint of even me, a normal global mod.  There are many we cannot see in the CP.  I say leave them as is unless there is good reason for a specific addition.

Cyclone

Sig. image courtesy of Chayy.

Sephiroth: How do I edit the first bullet bill so it's fire rate is less rapid
inori: Well, first you die. Then its fire rate goes down to zero.
Marrshu: No actually it continues firing

GU Award Winner of Best Moderator (early 2004) and Best Global Moderator (rest of 2004).

As a general rule. don't solve puzzles that will open a portal to hell. It will ruin your day.

Offline Favion

• Space Cowboy
  • Grandmaster
  • See You Space Cowboy...
    • View Profile
I'm back. Or am i?
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2005, 04:41:36 PM »
I would have to agree with Marshu 100%. A friend wanted me to join Gaia online, and I joined, posted once, left. It was TOO big. Not as much of a comunity type feeling that I get here at GU.

Any ways WB. And, your almost to 500 so you can get that custom avi that i really really want >.<

*blames admins* :P I want arcade :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
-Jimi Hendrix
"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear."
- John 4:18

Offline MasterOfHyrule

• I am the King!
  • GU Reporter
  • Redeemed
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Videos
I'm back. Or am i?
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 04:41:48 PM »
Welcome back to gu, Kixxe.  Hope you stay this time.

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  General Chit Chat  |  The Portal  |  I'm back. Or am i?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.166 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx