gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484586 Posts in 28410 Topics by 2463 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert August 06, 2020, 03:09:17 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  ::PS2:: God of War
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: ::PS2:: God of War  (Read 7674 times)

Offline Snypa

• Regimental
    • View Profile
::PS2:: God of War
« on: March 27, 2005, 08:06:51 PM »
I picked up this game lastnight and must say it is definately one of the greater action games out there. Haven't played much of it to give a good formal review, but I could definately give my first impressions.

Graphically, the game is outstanding with lucious, crips graphics that won't dissapoint and some of the attacking effects and animations really appeal as nice eye candy. Yes, there is nudity in the game as well, but nothing to over the top, simply exposed breasts.

The soundtrack is nothing short of superb as well. Opting for a great traditional orchestra sound, God of War mixes it's brutal action with an ensemble of strings and horns that blends perfectly together. The music even dissipates and rises with the action which gives it a nice edge as well. Voice acting so far is great as it seems alot of production value went into this area. I haven't heard anything yet to make me slam on the mute button.

Gameplay wise, the action is everything you'll think it is and more. I'll admit at first, from the very beginning the game thrusts you into the midst of battle which is great, but it appeared as if the game was simply a button mashing fest as you would hit the square button mindlessly. However once you get the pacing of the game and try different tactics, you'll learn of new combos (that you'll actually use) and different attacks that switch up the action and keeps it refreshing.

The greatest fights of all though come from the boss battles. Each boss and lesser beasts that I've fought all have great unique ways that you will have to go about defeating them. For example, the last encounter you'll have with the hydra has you defeating three heads at once. Yet, instead of just beating them senselessly, you'll have to work out a way to beat one into submission and nail it down with a hanging hook before it resurrects. Another fight calls for you to skillfully dodge and enemy's attacks while trying to attack it, then once you've done enough damage, you must grab him and go through a series of button presses to finish it off.

Other than the brutual action is the clever puzzles, interesting story, and minimal cutscenes to keep you playing and into the action. There are various powers you can gain as gifts from the gods, (Medusa's gaze, Poisoden's rage, etc) and beautiful to see, useful, and fun to use. By defeating enemies, you absorb their spirits which can be then used to upgrade your skills and magic abilites.

Kratos is definately a vicious force to be reckon with and extremely awesome to play as. So far I'd recommend all those who were waiting for this to go out and grab it.
Please speak softly, for they will hear us
And they'll find out why we don't trust them
Speak up dear cause I cannot hear you
I need to know why we don't trust them

Offline Armageddon

• Vile Reaper
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 08:15:54 PM »
I was looking foward to renting this one, so thanks for the info. :)
GU Dictionary: o.o {emoticon} ; used to mean many things ;1 a greeting ;2 an exclamation of surprise ;3 an exclamation of shock ;4 to exhibit confusion ex \\\\\\\"what the *****!?\\\\\\\" ;5 can be used for many things for which no one has the words to describe.

Offline Marrshu

• Editor
  • Grandmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 08:27:31 PM »
I'm currently in the middle of it right now (bless you Blockbuster and your week rentals!) and I must say, this is THE most impressive action game to come out in   a LONG LONG time...

Offline Aliem

• Ț̼͍̩̹̥̞̩̖͝ ̺̰̟͝s̸҉̜̜̘̥̥̤̬͓͔̰͔̩ͅ ̴̡̭̪͍͇̕c̦̀̀͡ͅ&
  • Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 08:38:18 PM »
I was looking forward to this one as well; I guess I'll just have to pick it up then! ^_^

Offline Armageddon

• Vile Reaper
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 02:03:36 AM »
I picked this game up today for rental, lucky to get the last copy. The gameplay is very good, graphics are suberb, and the battles make it interesting, I have just saved at the location facing all the tiny people and big Aeris... o.o
GU Dictionary: o.o {emoticon} ; used to mean many things ;1 a greeting ;2 an exclamation of surprise ;3 an exclamation of shock ;4 to exhibit confusion ex \\\\\\\"what the *****!?\\\\\\\" ;5 can be used for many things for which no one has the words to describe.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 04:26:17 AM »
I bought the game Monday, started playing it immediately upon getting home, and could not put the controller down for five hours solid other than bathroom/drink breaks. I finally beat it earlier today, which says something, since Demon Stone was the ONLY other game for the present console generation that I have finished.

Overall, the game was great. It annoyed the crap out of me with some of the traps and such that I had to go through, but the storyline was absolutely superb, to the very end. A plus was that you get development material on the game disc (not in a special limited edition like so many games are doing these days), although I wish I could get ahold of some of the concept art I saw in a vid on the disc.

My one gripe was how easy Ares was, even on Easy mode. I can only hope he was harder on the other settings, especially God Mode, which I unlocked by beating the game (it's an uber hardcore difficulty setting).

If you love action, and you love mythology, you will absolutely love this game. ;)
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline samson007

• Executive
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 08:59:21 PM »
I hear good things about this game. very violent and very fun. I also heard that there is a mini game in which you have a 3 way with these 2 chicks. And you get exp if you can get them to reach climax................not a game for the kiddies.
Signature............Why Bother?

Offline MaverickZero

• Regimental
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 06:58:05 AM »
That's why it won't get an USK rating in germany and Sony won't sell it here...
Ah how I love Germany  -.-'
Well the US version of it is enough anyway ;)
Really an awesome game...
Best of PS3 Conference (E3 2006)

"Riiiiiiidge Raceeeeer"
"599 US Dollars!"
"Real time ... WEAPON CHANGE"
"Attack its weakpoint for massive damage!"

just watch http://youtube.com/watch?v=IH2w2l1JTs4
and visit http://www.wii60.com

Thank you ;-P

Favorite Ask A Ninja question:
Q "If a ninja falls down in the forest, and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a sound?"
A "If a Ninja does anything anywhere, he doesn't make a sound. And if he does make a sound, it's probably gonna be the last sound you'll ever hear."
 - from Ninja Omnibus

Offline Armageddon

• Vile Reaper
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 07:19:06 AM »
I better make sure my parents don't walk in at the min climax game. :P Unless I passed that part, cause I was with two naked ladies in that ship I believe. :P

Offline MaverickZero

• Regimental
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 09:56:30 AM »
Yea that's the place... You have to jump onto the bed again and then you can press circle :)

"Riiiiiiidge Raceeeeer"
"599 US Dollars!"

Thank you ;-P

Q "If a ninja falls down in the forest, and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a sound?"
A "If a Ninja does anything anywhere, he doesn't make a sound. And if he does make a sound, it's probably gonna be the last sound you'll ever hear."
 - from Ninja Omnibus

Offline Davers

• Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2005, 05:26:30 PM »
I was looking forward to playing this game but then realized it was for the PS2.:dpdepress  The previews I saw of this game was awesome.  I only have a GC so playing it was out of the question.  Makes me want to go out and buy PS2 just so I can play......

Offline Armageddon

• Vile Reaper
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2005, 06:00:49 PM »
Quote from: MaverickZero
Yea that's the place... You have to jump onto the bed again and then you can press circle :)

Time to restart, lol.

Offline MaverickZero

• Regimental
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2005, 06:03:12 PM »
I haven't done it myself but I've read that you don't see it but you have to press buttons like with those finishing combos. I think you even get some expierience from that but who needs that :D
You'll have almost everything fully upgraded at the end of the game

"Riiiiiiidge Raceeeeer"
"599 US Dollars!"

Thank you ;-P

- from Ninja Omnibus

Offline Armageddon

• Vile Reaper
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2005, 10:47:24 PM »
I am trying to get to Aeris, I am on the rooftops jumping about.

Offline MaverickZero

• Regimental
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2005, 04:58:02 AM »
Don't you mean Ares the god of war? ;)
These ancient languages like Greek and Latin never worked too well with english.  I LMAO when I heard how Zeus is pronounced :P

"Riiiiiiidge Raceeeeer"
"599 US Dollars!"

Thank you ;-P

- from Ninja Omnibus

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  ::PS2:: God of War

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.187 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx