gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484569 Posts in 28409 Topics by 2464 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert December 09, 2019, 08:33:59 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  "Rubber-band A.I."
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: "Rubber-band A.I."  (Read 1139 times)

Offline MoonSaultKid

• Adept
    • View Profile
    • http://willyfoureyes.deviantart.com
"Rubber-band A.I."
« on: July 25, 2004, 03:50:36 PM »
Don'tcha just hate it when you're playing a game against the computer, and you've given yourself a sizable lead, when all of a sudden, the comp comes all the way back to tie things up? I sure do. "Rubber-band A.I." is usually used to keep things competitive (especially in some sports and racing titles), but it doesn't always work both ways, because you can never seem to get that extra "boost" that the computer does.

Take the NES' R.C. Pro-Am, for example. That damned yellow car gets me every eighth race, coming out of nowhere, moving nearly twice as fast as my car does, even when fully powered up. Because of that, I can never finish the game with all gold trophies. :-\

Of course, the infamous rubber-band A.I. has managed to sneak its way into some games, giving the computer an unfair edge in a competition. What are some of the worst (or most annoying) cases of rubber-band A.I. you've experienced?

Offline j_skizle88

• View Profile
"Rubber-band A.I."
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 07:36:33 PM »
mario kart DD 150cc your in first for two laps but at the end of the third they come from nowhere.and fighting games.

Offline millmill

• Scholar
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/millmill52
"Rubber-band A.I."
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 01:38:27 PM »
NFL Blitz had much more then just a rubber band AI.  If you were up by a touchdown or two late in the game, it was a guarantee that you were going to fumble the football nearly everytime you touched it, and the computer usually ended up recovering it.  It was a rarity if you fumbled during any other part of the game, though.
CHAMPIONS BLEED SCARLET AND GRAY

"I'm leaving the clowning business to all the clowns who work in the clowning business," Homer Simpson.

Offline NobodyX

• Accepted
    • View Profile
"Rubber-band A.I."
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 03:00:19 PM »
In F-Zero GX (hardest game ever) there are a few levels in story mode that I can never beat, because when I'm actually doing good then they do alot better than they usually do, or they kill me.

--LX Mod: 8-Bit Warfare--
                        -Version 1.2 out with 61 weapons-

Offline ogre

• Scholar
    • View Profile
"Rubber-band A.I."
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 05:32:32 PM »
One of these kinda AI's that i hate is in Empire Earth. Have it on the easiest setting but after a while of me advanceing through the ages at an alarming rate compared to the computer, he suddenly catches up and bum rush's me with hordes and HORDES of units tearing apart my walls and slaughtering my troops.
"I Ogre! I Strong!" - Immortal Words of the Great Ogre(which is me)
"In the end, there can be only one." - Highlander
"I am the weapon. My Naganita is merely an ally." - Battle Realms(manual), Spearman
"The Dragon lives in me, tooth and claw and bone. Dare you, then, to wake a Dragon?" - Battle Realms(manual), Dragon Warrior
"Swords are the fangs of men, but fangs are the swords of Gods" - Battle Realms(manual), Werewolf
"He is one, He is many, He Is LEGION!" - Castlevania Games

"It is better to die on your feet than to live a lifetime on your knees." - Zapata
[/size]

Offline Stungun

• Knight in Shining Sub-Dermal Armor
  • Executive
  • This hurts a lot more than it looks, you know.
    • View Profile
"Rubber-band A.I."
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 11:01:41 PM »
I dunno about Rubber Band, but the cheapest A.I. I've ever seen in my LIFE is in Fire Emblem (GBA). Lemme pull up a post from PureZC, I'll edit this soon.

Though I have seen RB AIs. And people have commented on this "F-Zero" game where when you cheat, the AI players keep up with 999KM/H.

EDIT: Here's the things I said on PZC:

Fire Emblem: In the fog levels, when they cannot see your units at all, I've seen units rush out of the fog and attack a unit they COULD NOT SEE. Not only is it that the A.I. is predicting where your units lie when they can't see you, but it also voilates game rules; You cannot attack a unit that no unit can see; If you try to intrude upon it's space, you are stopped, as well. (And on that level, they had no thieves, as well.)

I gave Marcus (who has 8 luck) the Devil axe, which can sometimes hurt the wielder for as much damage as it would your foe. I had him strike; He got into a critical hit with the DE...and it struck him, for a CRITICAL HIT (TRIPLE DAMAGE)... that killed him in one fell swoop. And he had a PITIFUL critical chance, as well...

In addition, the randomized hit/miss chance ALWAYS seems to be in my foe's favor. I've got Aion trapped in a magic seal and everyone has about 40% chance to hit him... I have everyone gang up on him and only about ONE OUT OF EVERY FIVE HITS hurts Aion. Not that way when they attack ME, however!

And then, later on in chapter 24, I had my unit (Lowen) fighting a nomad in the woods. The nomad used a shortbow, and I had a 55 percent chance of hitting him. I missed him THREE TURNS IN A ROW, and he whittled me down to 6 HP. The following turn, I switched to a more accurate weapon, which boosted my chance to 60%. I was well aware that his weapon caused 2 damage, and had a 3% critical hit chance (critical hits do 3x damage). I thought "No chance in hell he'll score it..." but guess what happened the next turn? He pulled of a critical hit! That was EXACTLY THE AMOUNT OF HEALTH HE NEEDED TO TAKE ME DOWN, AND THE GAME EXPLOITED THE TINIEST CHANCE OF A CHEAP MOVE.

It also seems as if whenever I pull off a critical hit, it's always on the second strike, when it would have killed my foe anyway, without the hit, and as such is unneeded. (Happened, so far three times in three turns.) But whenever my FOE does a critical hit, it is DEVISTATING, if not deadly. The very first time I met the boss in that pirate chapter (the rider with the killing edge), he scored a critical hit, killing Lyn in one strike. (of course, then again it improves C Hit Rate...)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 11:14:02 PM by Stungun »
So I descended into the horrifying place, twisted creatures all around and an ominous stench in the air. I thought I was untouchable. They all fell to my superior firepower as the stench turned into an air of victory.

...and yet, through all this, I wish she would have given me a warning. Maybe then, all this could have been avoided, if she had sent me off with just one simple, obvious warning:

Don't lick the Phazon.

Post your spritesheets for webcomics here. Never mind. URL down.

"When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall - think of it, always." ~Mahatma Gandhi

Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55% of plepoe can.
...of crouse, taht mgiht be bcaeuse smoe plopee dno't bthoer wtih the hdeacahe of tyrnig to raed tihs carp.

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
"Rubber-band A.I."
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 11:12:23 PM »
Heh, nice way of putting it. I hate that type of AI

This tends to happen a lot with me in fighting games like Soul Calibur 2. Where I'm winning and then the comp comes back hitting me over and over, predicting my moves and not giving me any chance of moving or countering his attacks. It's really cheap.
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline That Guy Link

• It's That Guy!
  • Regimental
  • I'M BACK BABY!
    • View Profile
"Rubber-band A.I."
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 12:27:29 AM »
I wouldnt say that with Soul Calibur 2 since i've been in the same situation except my opponant had over half his health while i was a few hits away from a K.O. yet i came back and won. Ofcourse to win in SC2 you have to have develpoed a skill when it comes to guarding otherwise you just wont win after a while.
Something might go here in the future, maybe, sort of, possibly, never.

Offline Raysyde

• Raysyde Productions
  • Global Moderator
  • Ascended
  • Rayuen Mettarze
    • View Profile
    • Raysyde Productions
"Rubber-band A.I."
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 07:51:22 PM »
I really haven't noticed too much rubber-band AI in games, maybe it's just I play games to a point where the so called comeback doesn't help the comp win.

Offline Forest Hunter

• Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://
"Rubber-band A.I."
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 11:29:28 PM »
There is no rubber band AI in Soul Calibur 2 thats for sure. Aegis ya probaly just slipped in your attack or guard giving the AI enough time to get on even footing. That or you got cocky and loosed up your offense slightly.

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  "Rubber-band A.I."

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.14 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx