gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484574 Posts in 28409 Topics by 2464 Members - Latest Member: austinrobert December 15, 2019, 11:29:34 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  "I expect it to become a third pillar, next to the Gamecube and Gameboy."
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: "I expect it to become a third pillar, next to the Gamecube and Gameboy."  (Read 5720 times)

Offline Joefalco

• RPG Maniac
  • Royalty
  • US of A
    • View Profile
"I expect it to become a third pillar, next to the Gamecube and Gameboy."
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2004, 10:26:47 PM »
Wait until E3 to pass judgement is my thinking here.  I have no clue whatsoever how they are going to implement this but it's still to early to call heads or tails on this.  Who knows?  Maybe they'll add a feature that can be added for backward compatibility.

Fat is back, baby!

Tales from an Alternate Gaming Universe Comic Archive
^All comics, no comments, no searching through countless pages^

Zenith RP: a RP forum. Check it out!

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2004, 10:39:38 PM »
Quote from: Joefalco
Wait until E3 to pass judgement is my thinking here. I have no clue whatsoever how they are going to implement this but it's still to early to call heads or tails on this. Who knows? Maybe they'll add a feature that can be added for backward compatibility.

I totally agree with you, Joe. It's way too early to tell whether this new console is good or not. Only time will tell and hey, it might blow the PSP out of the water. In any case, there isn't much, IMO, that other console companies can do to destory Nintendo, they really got video games going. Atari started it, but Nintendo put the wheel in full gear though.
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2004, 12:00:37 AM »
Right now I'm not impressed.  To me it looks like Nintendo has still lost its way because this looks like it's overcomplicating things.  I'm all for a new kind of interface, but I don't want one that would make it more complicated to play the game.  To me that's just stupid.  Games are supposed to be a fun and/or relaxing thing to do.  By doing too much with the interface I think it would take away from the games rather than help them progress and evolve.

Like lord-of-shadow said, the same thing could be done on any TV with a split screen.

I'm going to keep my mind open until what E3 says about it, but until then I can only imagine the damage this will do to Nintendo.
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

Offline lord-of-shadow

• Accepted
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2004, 09:13:04 AM »
It's way too early to tell whether this new console is good or not.

Nintendo will have TWO handhelds going at once. This, and the successor to the GBA. Business-wise, that's a bad decision no matter how innovative or good it is.

There will be more revealed about it, more then they have told us... the press release itself said so. But that is hardly enough to inspire confidence.
Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, and most of them stink.

Offline Ness

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://forums.thegaminguniverse.com/member.php?u=1768
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2004, 05:24:50 PM »
I found this at this site: http://pocket.ign.com/articles/473/473999p1.html
Nintendo Mystery Product Revealed
New dual-screened portable will be focus of E3 2004.

January 20, 2004 - For months Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has been offering Japanese newspapers vague comments about a new mystery hardware that the company would launch in 2004. Nintendo of America today pulled back the curtains on the top-secret device and it looks to be good news for Nintendo fans worldwide.

The company's mystery machine is in fact a dual-screened portable game device that is entirely separate from both the GameCube and the Game Boy Advance. It will be marketed completely free of its sister hardware. It's called Nintendo DS for Nintendo Dual-Screen.
Nintendo DS features two connected 3-inch TFT LCD display panels, and two separate processors. The device features an Arm9 main processor and an Arm7 sub processor.

The portable will not use GameCube optical disc or Game Boy Advance cartridge based media. Instead, it will play software on semiconductor memory of up to 1 Gigabit, according to the manufacturer.

Nintendo explains the importance of the dual-screen setup: "Players can look forward to being able to manage their game progress from two different perspectives, enhancing both the speed and strategy of the challenge. For example in a soccer game, users can view the whole game on one screen while simultaneously focusing on an individual soccer player's tackle or goal on the other screen.

"Players will no longer be forced to interrupt game play to shift perspective, such as moving from a wide shot to a close up, or alternating between a character's ongoing battle and a map of the environment. Nintendo DS makes it possible to perform the tasks in real time by simply glancing from one screen to the other."

Today's revelation is just the beginning, according to the company. The bulk of information on the machine will be unveiled at May's Electronics Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles.

"We have developed Nintendo DS based upon a completely different concept from existing game devices in order to provide players with a unique entertainment experience for the 21st century," explained Satoru Iwata, Nintendo president.

The announcement, seemingly out of nowhere, likely comes in preparation for Nintendo's upcoming financial report. Also, developers have indicated that they will soon receive development hardware for the new system and with that Nintendo wouldn't be able to keep it a secret for very much longer.

There are no photographs of the device available. However, IGN's own Matt Casamassina has created a conceptual drawing of what the Nintendo DS may look like. Very intriguing, for sure. We know one person who will enjoy the dual screens!

The Nintendo DS will be on-hand at E3 2004 in fully playable form, according to the company. It will ship in the last half of 2004.

now click here and say something nice.  :smile:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 05:31:45 PM by Ness »

Offline Marrshu

• Editor
  • Grandmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2004, 06:12:00 PM »
"We know one person who will enjoy the dual screens! "
LMAO!

Anyways. I think that this a side product to the GBA... meaning its just to make a quick buck untill the next GBA.

Offline System_Failure

• Accepted
    • View Profile
    • http://greendragon.vaider.com
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2004, 09:01:53 PM »
I honestly don't know what to think! It does sound interesting to say the least, and because i know they with release a Zelda on it I know I will have to buy one, but I REALLY hope it is better then it sounds!

Offline Bites

• Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2004, 01:09:35 AM »
Pfeh, Nintendo will crash and burn soon, their last 2 consoles were a disaster (well didn't become overly popular) and if they don't hurry and start designing and developing a new system besides a handheld well then, they'll lose up again to the XBox2 and the PS3.
Beep

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2004, 06:20:06 AM »
Quote from: mmnpsrsoskl
Pfeh, Nintendo will crash and burn soon, their last 2 consoles were a disaster (well didn't become overly popular) and if they don't hurry and start designing and developing a new system besides a handheld well then, they'll lose up again to the XBox2 and the PS3.

Uh.... last I saw, GameCube was beating out Xbox... <.<
-Aegis Runestone-

Mormon Messages

Offline Legendary MMSX

• Executive
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2004, 07:05:04 AM »
and the advance is still going strong, and it is completely upgradable.  They have a TV tuner for the GBA already :dplick:.  Nintendo should really just focus on upgrading the GBA.

Crash in burn, doubt it.  X-box will crash in burn, PS will still lead, and nintendo will be right smack in the middle.

Plus you can't judge something you haven't seen in action yet.  So lets wait until the day, as I don't think the two screens will be used just for that.  Thats probably for a specific game nintendo is making for it or something.
:dpoldman <--- Bring back the old man! hehe
Also known as Legendary Hoamaru
Want to watch recorded video game(Mostly Mugen) videos? Click here

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2004, 09:19:22 AM »
Quote from: Legendary MMSX
and the advance is still going strong, and it is completely upgradable. They have a TV tuner for the GBA already :dplick:. Nintendo should really just focus on upgrading the GBA.

Crash in burn, doubt it. X-box will crash in burn, PS will still lead, and nintendo will be right smack in the middle.

Plus you can't judge something you haven't seen in action yet. So lets wait until the day, as I don't think the two screens will be used just for that. Thats probably for a specific game nintendo is making for it or something.

I agree. For one thing, the Xbox is bombing in Japan anyway, the GCN(in fact, it's the most popular in Japan I believe, the reason is, of course, is there are lots of anime games that use very nice cel-shading for the GCN only in Japan) and the PS2 have strength in BOTH the US and Japan, Xbox only has the US to back it up. If anything is failing in the Market, it's the Xbox.
-Aegis Runestone-

Mormon Messages

Offline System_Failure

• Accepted
    • View Profile
    • http://greendragon.vaider.com
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2004, 03:30:49 PM »
and i've sworn to never buy an Xbox. I actually know a lot of people who have. GBA is great and GCN is great(love mine) so anything that they come out with will be desent at the least but lets keep our fingers crossed ;)

Offline lord-of-shadow

• Accepted
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2004, 05:32:16 PM »
Uh.... last I saw, GameCube was beating out Xbox... <.<

Lately, the GC has been outselling the Xbox on a week-to-week basis, but the Xbox still has more overall sales.
Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, and most of them stink.

Offline Dark Dude

• Megaman Fangame Developer
  • Scholar
  • I am invincible!
    • View Profile
    • Dark Dude's Domain
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2004, 10:35:02 PM »
Don't be pessimistic. Nintendo DS is gonna rock, because GameCube rocks and GBA rocks. And DS isn't competition with GBA. That's like saying "GameCube competes with GBA". I'm all for this idea, because it has so many possibilities. The two screens are just a little bigger than the GBA screen and are vertical (as far as I know) so it's not like you'll have to look far to see the other screen.

Offline Truth Spirit Aura

• Xuyun!
  • Blessed With Thunder!
    • View Profile
    • Just Like (a) Human
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2004, 12:51:16 AM »
I wonder how many of you know about the Nintendo iQue.

It's selling big over in China. The system is basically a portable N64:
You just need a television and a power outlet. The entire system fits into your hand, and uses flash memory. One can download several games to the flash memory for a nominal fee, and carry it around quite easily.
Given what seems to be our retro-gaming trend these days (it's as hip as bell-bottom pants, baby!), could the iQue be making a Stateside move, as well?
it's sold pretty good on Lik-Sang.com already, and we Americans currently don't have a way to cheaply obtain newer games for it.
This can easily coexist with the GCN and GBA, and allow for portable gaming, as well. Perhaps someone will show off their intelligent streak, and not only find a way to have a lightweight power pack for it, but also add a screen for viewing it, thus eliminating the non-mobile tethers that are AV cables and AC power.

Or, could the unthinkable strike twice?
If you know your nHistory, you'll remember where Sony and Nintendo had partnered up to work on a game system. This system was supposed to combine a CD-based unit, with cartridge capabilities (source: "Game Over" - a book of the Big N's history; And didn't you ever wonder why it took them SO LONG to move away from cartridges?), but something happened between Sony and Nintendo that shattered this.

Given how it seems Sega has become buddy-buddy with The Big N (see: F-Zero GX), could a positive repeat of history happen? Perhaps Nintendo and Sega could release a combined retro system that may play NES, SNES, Genesis, and Saturn games, and no one would suspect that.
This isn't likely, though. More of an "Aura would LOVE this, but heh," situation.

Just keep running, falling, till you reach the border. There you reach out, find out: Blessed with all the Thunder of the World.
Homeless isn't a fad. It's sweeping our nation, however. I'm all swept up in it. ;_;
Get a better browser. Mozilla, Camino, and Mozilla Firefox. Opera. Experience the internet in a new light.

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  "I expect it to become a third pillar, next to the Gamecube and Gameboy."

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.313 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx