gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
483927 Posts in 28351 Topics by 2463 Members - Latest Member: Gobers December 13, 2017, 07:13:36 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  GU Fighter - Anyone has it?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: GU Fighter - Anyone has it?  (Read 485 times)

Offline Kraetyz

• Learner
    • View Profile
GU Fighter - Anyone has it?
« on: July 29, 2017, 02:13:43 AM »
Heya! You don't recognize my name, and for good reason - I'm new here. But I've known about this community for many, many years, in large thanks to the now long abandoned project Gaming Universe Fighter. I discovered this game around 2004-2005, and I have so many memories of me playing it and loving it. I was too young to get it then, but nowadays I see what a beautiful community project it was, and I'm doubly impressed with it!
Out of nostalgia, I've been trying in vain to hunt down a download for the last available version, but I've come up short. Redhaze's website is down and no place else seems to have a mirror upload.

So, I come to you. Does anyone at all still have the game? I've got a real craving to play me some GU Fighter.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 02:20:09 AM by Kraetyz »

Offline KingOfHumans

• Inactive
  • Messiah
  • Here today, gone tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
Re: GU Fighter - Anyone has it?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 03:32:42 AM »
If I remember right, a bunch of projects were uploaded to thegaminguniverse website a while back.

Guardian still chats here... tis possible he still has it.
Lastly, maybe on an old hard drive of mine.. but that's too much of a hassle for me.

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
  • Take me back to the Mother Ship!
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 11:44:56 AM »
Nope, sorry.  I lost it when my main external drive died.
Read my novel, The Death Doll:
Paperback, eBook, or Audible

Latest Fight Comix Release:
2015 SEPTEMBER 27
Episode 207: Filler: Mission Brief 3 (Part 1 of 4)!

Offline Kraetyz

• Learner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 01:36:18 PM »
Nope, sorry.  I lost it when my main external drive died.
:( Aw, that's sad!

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 04:05:19 PM »
I've asked Nightmare if he has either the original or his most updated version.  Here's hoping.

2015 SEPTEMBER 27

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 07:20:06 PM »
The latest package was put together by Mystara. It's located at www.thegaminguniverse.org/gufighter/GUFighter.rar
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 08:54:38 AM »
Thanks, Rowan!

Now, the immediate trouble is how to get the sound to work again.  If anyone knows how to fix this problem, please let us know.  Someone around here may still have the code for this game.

Then we could work on stuff like character resizing and maybe implementing one or two more buttons into the mix!

2015 SEPTEMBER 27

Offline Nightmare

• Overseer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gameshownetwork.com/whammyed
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 10:20:46 PM »
Kraetyz, I'll give you the latest version I was working on.  Unfortunately, I don't have anything like source code, I ran into a lot of trouble with things like making the designs I wanted with only two buttons:  Also, resizing and expanding the existing cast was impossible for me to do alone.

Send me your e-mail via PM so I can hook you up to my DropBox where I'm going to be keeping the stuff.  I will hook you up with whatever I can spare.  You would be particularly wise to take my balance changes into account, as the bosses could literally kill you in one hit if you unlocked them in a way that makes Shin Akuma look fair in retrospect.

You can also Discord me at NightmareJames#7794.  If we can get BGM music to work, I would be game to finish Shin Gouki and maybe if I had some help work on resizing some of the stuff (though some chars would arguably have to be cut in any final version).  I just have too much going to be in charge ATM.

I don't know why I'm "the living archive" and making backups is so godly, but it seems to be that way.

Hope this helps.

-James
GUF Status:
Demo in early May if schedule goes according

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 11:16:55 AM »
I had a copy of the code that I got Red Haze to send me (after a long period of trying to hunt him down). The game used some library called MasterX or something like that. I doubt you'll find much support for it in the current OSes. If I can find my copy of the source, I can try getting it ported over to SDL, and if I do, I'll send Nightmare the changes, so that he may be able to do something with it.

I don't know why I'm "the living archive" and making backups is so godly, but it seems to be that way.

You're not. Whatever changes you have, you never sent to me. I am the webmaster, last I checked. I can easily upload anything onto GU's server, if you want to share.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:19:22 AM by Rowan »
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Nightmare

• Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 10:27:12 PM »
Contact me on Discord Rowan.  I'm busy tomorrow, but I should be able to do a checkdown Sunday and document everything.

I'd be really happy if we could get the BGM music fixed and this running smooth again.

Thanks for finding the code.  Apparently I lost that somehow when my HD crashed.

-James
GUF Status:

Offline Kraetyz

• Learner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 12:10:13 PM »
Holy crap, the game!! :D Thank you guys! I'm all for checking out the source code, though I currently have another hobby project with friends that occupies my free time, haha.

Offline Nightmare

• Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 12:53:55 PM »
Guardian and Rowan, I created a Discord server that I transferred ownership to Krae.  I would like you two to join so we can get a lot of this stuff cleaned up.

-James
GUF Status:

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 01:06:40 PM »
I don't use Discord, so I'll have to look into it. I just woke up (literally), and I'm about to start coming through my archive. Hopefully I'll have better luch with this than I did with Zeo's book.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 01:39:22 PM »
I have indeed found the source, and as Red Haze told me, it's a mess. It'll take me some time to delve into and see what's what. The sound is handled by fmod. I don't know why it doesn't work, but fmod itself was abandoned in favor of fmodex, and then something else that I can't remember the name of. We'll get it fixed, in time.

Holy crap, the game!! :D Thank you guys! I'm all for checking out the source code, though I currently have another hobby project with friends that occupies my free time, haha.
I have a project I'm getting started on, myself: a Raspberry Pi powered vending machine being built from the ground up. Got several parts coming in, today, in fact. I call them "Phase 1." ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 01:41:36 PM by Rowan »

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 09:31:35 AM »
Can either of you replace fmod with fmodex or something else that works better?  How hard is that?  Just asking.

2015 SEPTEMBER 27

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  GU Fighter - Anyone has it?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.165 seconds with 19 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx