gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
483765 Posts in 28338 Topics by 2461 Members - Latest Member: Kraetyz August 21, 2017, 03:36:52 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  General Chit Chat  |  Hey Guys
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hey Guys  (Read 464 times)

Offline Davers

• Overseer
    • View Profile
Hey Guys
« on: March 26, 2017, 10:47:52 AM »
Had a dream about this place early this morning. Crazy since I haven't been here in forever. I guess the random GU FB posts keep my subconscious active about it.

I see most, if not everyone, has pretty much moved on. I completely understand since I've done the same thing getting older. I rarely go onto any forums anymore; I think Reddit might be about the only one now. I stay active on Instagram and Youtube, but that's really about it. But for those still around, I'll tell you my tale :)

A few years ago, I took a job in Alaska which kept me there for about 5 months. My 2nd day on the job, I met a girl who I ended up falling in love with. Even after we had both left Alaska, we went our separate ways, living about 1500 miles apart. We talked every day. Thanksgiving rolled around and I flew her out to spend the holidays with me and my family. Valentine's Day rolled around, I secretly flew out to her place and surprised her! Come April the following year, I actually moved her out to my place.

At the end of May (like the 24th or something like that), we left the US and flew out to South East Asia and trekked across Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, and China for 40 days. An experience of a lifetime and it was just the 2 of us! Seriously one of the best times in my life. I'd definitely backpack it again! No organized tours (although we took on in Mui Ne, Vietnam to go see a few sites) and no tour guides. We made our own schedules and plans. Our only goal was to make it from Bangkok, Thailand (where we flew in to) to Beijing, China so we could fly home. While in China, we visited the Great Wall - Mutianyu Section to be exact, less touristy - and I proposed! In which, she said "yes" :)

We got married rather quickly afterwards. We flew out to Puerto Rico and got married on a beach there. We had 11 in attendance including me and my wife. We wanted a small island wedding and that's exactly what we got. We were surprised 9 other family members and friends also flew out there to join us!

I now have a 15 month old daughter named Alainya (pronounced A-lain-a). We are happily married and enjoying life! As a husband and daddy now, it's hard to stay active online on any site. So I can definitely understand people moving on with life and getting busy! Those that still make time to do both, huge props to you (Gaurdian)! Maybe one day I'll learn how to manage my time well enough to do both. lol

Anyways, that's my life the past few years in a nutshell! I know some of you older members do enjoy reading about where some of us went and here ya go :) I really hope all are doing well and life is treating you good. Below is a video I'll share with you guys, my first family from about a decade ago now! This is a video I made from our trip to Asia and the engagement on the Wall. Beware though, the engagement part is sappy and kind of cringe worthy as I was very nervous. Also, no ring in the video because I wasn't trucking a ring around for nearly 40 days before I could propose. I had the ring waiting back at home since this was all planned before we ever left the US. Anyways, here's the link....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAF5iBiRFO4

Shameless plug here, but if any of you guys use Instagram, feel free to go take a look at some other pics of our travels and my family :)

www.instagram.com/davers84

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Guys
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 07:02:52 AM »
Congratulations on the marriage and now being a father! What a way to propose! And no ring, and she said 'yes'? Works for me! :)

;_; I want to be a husband and dad.

Good to see you again! :D Hope Alainya is growing strong!
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 07:30:40 PM »
Wow, that's quite the adventure! Congrats on your new wife and family too!

I watched your video, looks like you got to see some awesome sites too.

Glad you stopped in! :)
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

Offline Davers

• Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 09:17:57 PM »
Thank you guys! Always curious what everyone is up to now a days myself. MOH and KOH are about the only ones I see active elsewhere and that's because I'm subbed to both on youtube.

@Aegis: Haha, even without the ring, she did say yes! I did debate on taking it with me except I was afraid I would lose it or it would get stolen since we stayed primarily in hostels. So I had a pic of the ring that I showed her when we got back to Beijing after I proposed. Surprisingly enough, we only lost one thing the entire trip and it was her hoodie! We had it strapped to her backpack and then the bag was put in storage on the bus in Vietnam. When we got to our destination in De Lat, Vietnam, we didn't even realize the hoodie was no longer attached to the bag. It must have fallen off in transit as the roads were EXTREMELY bumpy and rough.

@GW Thanks for watching! I still watch it about once every 2 months or so. It was such an adventure! We are trying to do Africa next year (my wife's Aunt lives in Kenya on the Serengeti) but I must admit it's very difficult when you have a kid! Finding someone to watch her for that length of time is very hard! lol Plus being away from her that long is difficult too. We went on a cruise last September for 7 days and being gone even that long was very hard as new parents!

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 05:43:36 PM »
I see, well I hope you get to go to Africa! If not, I hear kids grow up fast so you'll be able to take Alainya with you soon enough. ;)
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

Offline KingOfHumans

• Inactive
  • Messiah
  • Here today, gone tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 09:23:25 PM »
I lurk & post less now, due to having actual games to play :)

Hey Davers, since you're fan, feel free to join our discord!

Offline Zel

• View Profile
    • http://zel.sheezyart.com
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 04:44:46 PM »
Yeah a number of us lurk about but don't post
This post brought to you by Zel.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 12:24:38 AM »
I saw Thailand, and had to post. Please tell me you had some authentic Pad ka prao? I have a friend that used to live here that moved back there. He taught me how to fix a few Thai dishes. Once I even made it so hot that even HE had to put it away XD

Congrats on the life achievements, though. It's always nice to hear from GU members that have gotten somewhere they are happy about. ;)
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Davers

• Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 03:21:01 PM »
To be honest, we ate a lot of different kinds of food but I'm not sure what. Lol Thai is one of our favorites to dine on so we enjoyed almost everything we tried. The food was a little different compared to what we have in the states, but the difference is NO WHERE compared to Chinese food we have here to what is actually served in China!

I've tried several times to cook Thai food but I just can never get it right! We have a fairly authentic Thai restaurant close to where we live that we visit often!

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
  • Take me back to the Mother Ship!
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 10:34:31 PM »
Welcome back, and I'm glad to see you so happy:^)

Oh, and spell my name right! lol
Read my novel, The Death Doll:
Paperback
eBook

Latest Fight Comix Release:
2015 SEPTEMBER 27
Episode 207: Filler: Mission Brief 3 (Part 1 of 4)!

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 03:00:42 AM »
I've tried several times to cook Thai food but I just can never get it right! We have a fairly authentic Thai restaurant close to where we live that we visit often!

If you have a certain dish in mind, let me know. I may be able to help get it sorted for ya. My Thai ex-coworker taught me how to fix a few things, and we experiment with a few others.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Davers

• Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 11:38:19 PM »
Is there another way? Haha
If you have a certain dish in mind, let me know. I may be able to help get it sorted for ya. My Thai ex-coworker taught me how to fix a few things, and we experiment with a few others.
I'll try and remember this offer for next time we attempt Thai. I'm wanting to get more into currys one of these days. I know there is yellow, red, and green. I think yellow is the only one I've had though. We are more on rice or noodle recipes when we go out to eat. I did try some kind of crab soup...thing in Bangkok. It was huge and delicious. The whole crab was in the pot they brought to our table. Very spicy but good. My wife hated it though. Lol

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 01:58:19 PM »
@Aegis: Haha, even without the ring, she did say yes! I did debate on taking it with me except I was afraid I would lose it or it would get stolen since we stayed primarily in hostels. So I had a pic of the ring that I showed her when we got back to Beijing after I proposed. Surprisingly enough, we only lost one thing the entire trip and it was her hoodie! We had it strapped to her backpack and then the bag was put in storage on the bus in Vietnam. When we got to our destination in De Lat, Vietnam, we didn't even realize the hoodie was no longer attached to the bag. It must have fallen off in transit as the roads were EXTREMELY bumpy and rough.
I'm glad you only lost the hoodie. It's obvious she loves you enough because she accepted it without the ring. It shows she does not care about the material form of the proposal, but the emotional part. :)
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 07:26:53 PM »
Is there another way? Haha
I'll try and remember this offer for next time we attempt Thai. I'm wanting to get more into currys one of these days. I know there is yellow, red, and green. I think yellow is the only one I've had though. We are more on rice or noodle recipes when we go out to eat. I did try some kind of crab soup...thing in Bangkok. It was huge and delicious. The whole crab was in the pot they brought to our table. Very spicy but good. My wife hated it though. Lol
While everybody's tastes are different, green curry is a fond go to for my "crew." We tend to make it witha specific brand of coconut milk,  cross-cut chicken slices, onions, various shades of bell pepper, mushroom, and zucchini or broccoli, served over rice.

As for soups, the Thai have it all done right. Tom Yum (pronounced more like Dom Yom), is a staple that I'd had. There was some other called Tom Ka Kai that my friend showed me once, that I cannot find. I've tried finding it off and on, with no luck.

Some things to remember about Thai food, one bad and one good. "Spicy" is actually acid. If you have acid reflux, be careful eating it. And the good thing is that the spicy foods trigger your hypothalamus gland, burning off more fat, and making it easier to lose weight. It also makes you less susceptible to illness, from what I've seen.

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  General Chit Chat  |  Hey Guys

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.149 seconds with 19 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx