gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
483919 Posts in 28349 Topics by 2463 Members - Latest Member: Gobers November 20, 2017, 09:21:59 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  SNES CD-ROM Homebrew - Super Boss Gaiden
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: SNES CD-ROM Homebrew - Super Boss Gaiden  (Read 1057 times)

Offline MottZilla

• Atoned
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Gaiden IV
SNES CD-ROM Homebrew - Super Boss Gaiden
« on: July 26, 2016, 10:21:30 PM »
Has anyone here been keeping up with news about the SNES / Playstation CD-ROM prototype unit? For those who don't know, the prototype has been emulated and now an actual homebrew game has been released that can be played via emulation and maybe one day on the actual system.

Some video links:
Super Boss Gaiden Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99-v8lkoOdo
Super Boss Gaiden on CUPodcast - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mWR-hdTD6M
Ben Heck Prototype Teardown - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug-CyGXMabg

It's a pretty neat piece to see since it never came to market. There isn't much to it though. But that doesn't mean it couldn't have been host to great games. The hardware would have been similar to the CD-ROM for the TurboGrafx 16 / PC-Engine because unlike the Sega CD it wouldn't have really added anything to the SNES's capability.

With the found prototype you get 256Kb (2 Megabits) of RAM, 8Kb of Save Data SRAM, CD-ROM storage access and CD-ROM audio playback. The PC-Engine Super CD-ROM also has 256Kb of RAM, Save Data Backup RAM, and some additional audio hardware. The Sega CD added a second 68000 processor as well as additional graphics capability.

Similar to the PC-Engine though the SNES CD-ROM Prototype could have had an upgrade later on by changing the Cartridge to one with more RAM, an additional processor, or whatever else they could put into a cartridge. The PC-Engine CD-ROM went from 64Kb of RAM to the Super CD-ROM with a total 256Kb of RAM with a System Card upgrade.

Maybe if we're lucky we will see someone make their own CD-ROM and System Cartridge based off the prototype.
Ninja Gaiden IV:
Homepage

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
Re: SNES CD-ROM Homebrew - Super Boss Gaiden
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 09:24:13 PM »
I heard about it getting found, but I didn't hear about it getting emulated. That reminds me, I saw on MetalJesusRocks that they had found a prototype for the English version of the N64 DD add-on that never got released in the US.
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
  • Take me back to the Mother Ship!
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 07:40:40 AM »
An interesting collaboration effort.

Are you looking to port NG4 to this or something?
Read my novel, The Death Doll:
Paperback, eBook, or Audible

Latest Fight Comix Release:
2015 SEPTEMBER 27
Episode 207: Filler: Mission Brief 3 (Part 1 of 4)!

Offline MottZilla

• Atoned
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Gaiden IV
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 11:32:11 PM »
No, if anything it would be to the *real* Playstation. The real Playstation is an appealing system for some homebrew games. This prototype even if it were cloned and everyone could buy one would never be a good platform to make games on. The Playstation while having very little memory by today's standards has tons more than this prototype system.

Plus the PS in general essentially can be like a SNES with a CD-ROM as is evident by numerous SNES to Playstation ports. Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV, V, VI. The Final fantasy Origins remakes look like SNES games. Mega Man X3 was ported over.
Ninja Gaiden IV:
Homepage

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 04:16:11 PM »
Reminds me of this story:

Secret of Mana was originally planned to be a launch title for the SNES-CD add-on. After the contract between Nintendo and Sony to produce the add-on failed, and Sony repurposed its work on the SNES-CD into the competing PlayStation console, Square adapted the game for the SNES cartridge format. The game had to be altered to fit the storage space of a SNES game cartridge, which is much smaller than that of a CD-ROM. The developers initially resisted continuing the project without the CD add-on, believing that too much of the game would have to be cut, but they were overruled by company management. As a result of the hardware change, several features had to be cut from the game, and some completed work needed to be redone. Most major of these removals was the option to take multiple routes through the game that led to several possible endings, in contrast to the linear journey in the final product. The plot that remained was different than the original conception, and Tanaka has said that the original story had a much darker tone. Ishii has estimated that up to forty percent of the planned game was dropped to meet the space limitations, and critics have suggested that the hardware change led to technical problems when too much happens at once in the game. In 2006, Level magazine claimed that Secret of Mana's rocky development was Square's main inspiration to move their games, such as the Final Fantasy series, from Nintendo consoles to Sony consoles in 1996.

If you remember, or if you feel liking booting up a ROM, Secret of Mana struggled with the limited sound channels it had to conform to on the SNES. The music would get interrupted whenever it had to process one or more sound effects during playtime, like opening a chest or hitting baddies. It'd be amazing to see all of that cut content return in a remastered Secret of Mana title on the Nintendo Playstation Switch.
~Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.~

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 07:08:02 PM »
Forget the Switch, I'd rather see it redone and put out on Steam like they did with most of the other Final Fantasy games.

I would also imagine that Square's developers weren't the only ones that were pissed off by this failure of a deal too. I doubt that the storage capacity limitations on cartridges were the only reason why many developers left Nintendo for the Playstation. I'll bet that many of them had probably had it with Nintendo telling them how to distribute their own games too and then when it looked like they could do all these great things with a CD system where they could distribute their own CDs they were probably really excited until Nintendo pulled the plug on it. That was probably the last draw for at least some of them.
DDOEQ2

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 08:57:44 PM »
These days I'd rather not have to go through Steam to get my games. It just means I need to have a client running in order to play. The question of whether or not developers would want to work with Nintendo again is another deal entirely.

Still, the idea of having another 90s-esque renaissance of gaming with Nintendo and Square together again sounds great. Too bad Konami seems to have gone off to other ventures.
~Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.~

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 06:11:39 PM »
Konami is a perfect example of a disappointment if there ever was one for the gaming industry. They used to make such great games and now they just suck.

I personally don't see a 90s-esque renaissance of gaming with Square and Nintendo together again ever happening, but I would still love to see something like that happen. We can argue that Nintendo is still the same company it always has been (sometimes gets them into trouble, but I digress), but Square is not Squaresoft anymore. It's Square-Enix which sometimes produces good games, and sometimes it just produces absolute crap. Even when the good games come out, they don't blow the market away like they did in the old days. With all their changes they've had internally, they've lost the 'magic touch' they used to have.

As for Steam, I've gotten used to having to run the client, and it really doesn't bother me. If you're going to use a digital distribution system for games, Steam seems to have the right ideas. They don't always make the best decisions (like the mess with buying mods), but at least so far they do seem to listen to their customers when something is incredibly unpopular and stupid and back off from it. Also once I've downloaded the games into my library, I still play them offline. When I get back online, the client will resync with the Steam servers for any updates.

For developers wanting to work with Nintendo again, it's a tough sell IMO. Developers want to get their game out to the most people, and as long as Nintendo's console isn't flying off the shelves, it's not going to be very attractive to them. They also want to have some say in the distribution of the physical copies of their game too and they don't want console manufacturers telling them to censor their games for purely BS reasons. Nintendo has problems on both those fronts.
DDOEQ2

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 07:07:43 PM »
Yeah, I remember reading about the scandals with Xenoblade censorship. Apparently Nintendo Treehouse was responsible for the controversial localization.

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 07:32:26 PM »
Nintendo Treehouse should be abolished. Yes, they were supposed to fix the problems with the poor localizations being done for the 8-bit and 16-bit games, but bad translations aside, I do not support changing games to make them more 'western' for us here in the states. Personally, I think they ruin too much original and unique content and we live in the Internet age so if something is weird or not understood because of some cultural reference, it can be easily looked up in 2 seconds on your phone which is likely conveniently right with you while you're playing.

Censorship was a problem before they existed (like changing the churches in the original FF1 to clinics when it came over on the NES), now they've managed to take it to a whole new level of a problem. It supports continued isolation between cultures and beliefs instead of allowing the free flow of ideas and information.

I'm sure some wise man once said, if you go through life without having to see or hear anything you consider offensive, challenging, or just plain different than what you're used to, you'll never grow and never know what you can be capable of.
DDOEQ2

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 08:21:58 PM »
I think the meaning of localization has just been skewed. There are cases where good localization will make something like a show or a game so much more smooth or sensible to the audience. The best example I've seen recently is Big Windup!, the seinen anime about high school baseball in Japan. The original Japanese dub is great, but the English dub by Funimation just made everyone sound so natural, even the awkward Mihashi or the irritable Abe.

What we're seeing in videogames now and then just seems like good intentions going awry, or arrogance, leading to full-blown censorship in some cases. The originally intended meaning for the BLADE acronym in Xenoblade Chronicles X sounded way better than the localized meaning; Beyond the Logos Artificial Destiny Emancipator might have been a mouthful, but it fits well with the religious transhumanist themes of the Xeno- games, whereas Builders of the Legacy After the Destruction of Earth turns out to be even more of a mouthful and less informative. What legacy? What are you doing?

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 07:23:45 PM »
Now that you mention it, I do think that arrogance and 'good intentions' are probably the reasons why we have this mess to begin with. For all the bad decisions Nintendo has made, I'm sure arrogance in some form has been at least one of the reasons behind all of them including those with 'good intentions'. For example, taking religious references out of a game may seem like 'good intentions' because people can get offended by it. However, given that we also have plenty of games where players can do prostitutes and run them over to take your money back, and games where the amount of blood spewing out of zombies could probably fill one of the great lakes, it's hard for me to believe that developers are worried about offending people over putting religious references in a game. Instead of 'good intentions' I view that as a slap in the face saying the gamer can't handle it.
DDOEQ2

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 08:54:51 PM »
I think that attitude speaks to the internet culture of disdain towards all things religious, but really it goes as far back as removing the crosses from the world map of Final Fantasy I when ported to the US, which was ironic.

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 07:40:05 AM »
Okay, guys, we went a little off-topic here, I thought this was about some homebrew stuff, not bashing Nintendo? Also, what's with the rage? Venting about things of the past does not change the past nor does it change the present or the future. Action does.
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 12:15:31 PM »
'Cept let's be honest here: there's nothing we can do to change anything about it here. We're just chillin' out, maxin', relaxin all cool n' shootin' some b-ball outside o' da skool.

Anyways, if you ask me, this is nothing. If you really wanna see impotent rage, just visit /v/. The place should be rife with it, should social media fail.

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  SNES CD-ROM Homebrew - Super Boss Gaiden

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.217 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx