gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
483919 Posts in 28349 Topics by 2463 Members - Latest Member: Gobers November 20, 2017, 09:23:09 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  Steam Controller
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Steam Controller  (Read 342 times)

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
Steam Controller
« on: October 29, 2016, 12:53:08 PM »
I don't recall this getting brought up here, but has anyone picked up the Steam Controller?

I just got me and so far I'm impressed with it. I love how it lets me control the mouse in games like Civ VI. I've only used it for about a day, and I do get what critics are saying with the learning curve to it, but truthfully, it's really not that hard to use. It takes some getting used to, but then we all had to get used to new controller layouts before and this one really isn't that far off. Going from my old Logitech F310 to the Steam Controller is like going from the NES controller to the SNES controller. It's different, but there's a natural feel to it.
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

Offline Dandel

• Accepted
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Controller
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 11:26:40 PM »
I own a steam controller, and in general it has a different feel from the Logitech F310. The biggest element the steam controller has going for it is the fact that it can be used on games that have no support for gamepads/controllers.

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 11:48:55 AM »
Sounds interesting. Pretty pricey controller, though, especially since I don't see how I'd use it for mouse functions for games. GW2 isn't a Steam game and unless the Steam Controller is compatible with non-steam games I don't see it getting much use from me.

If it is compatible with Guild Wars 2, that'd be awesome, because some people play GW2 with a controller and they say it makes it feel much more like an action game. The only problem is that normal gamepads make it nigh impossible to play, say an Elementalist with it because of AoE targeting. But since the Steam Controller can have access to mouse movements, then it would be the perfect controller for GW2.
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 08:15:08 PM »
I got the controller in a bundle with a game so it saved me some money. It uses the right pad for moving the mouse and in some ways it's similar to a track ball in that you're moving the mouse with your thumb. Trigger buttons handle the mouse clicks. It can also control the mouse outside of Steam and you can also customize the buttons to your liking.

I haven't used it much outside of Steam, but I would assume there's a way to customize it to work with GW2 or any other non Steam game. You'd think that moving the mouse with it would be awkward, but as I get used to it, it feels more and more natural.
DDOEQ2

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 05:40:26 AM »
i picked one up while they were on sale about a month ago. i love it, though i can't get used to using it on certain games (Mortal Kombat X comes to mind). Have you experimented with mode shifting, yet? The grip buttons are a nice treat, as well. Oh, and if you're like me and are having issues with using the left trackpad as a D pad, try setting it to require clicking. That way, you don't hit the wrong direction at a really bad time. ;)
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 06:05:12 PM »
That's a good idea. I haven't tried using the left trackpad as a D pad yet, but I'll be sure to remember that when I change the game I'm playing again. :)
DDOEQ2

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 08:49:34 AM »
Dandel has more experience with it, but post any questions you have, and we can probably help you out with it.

Personally, I need to download and tweak a controller scheme for Skyrim. And there was some other game I wanted to try out with it that I can't remember.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 07:54:57 PM »
Have you tried it with 2D platformers yet? Like the Mega Man Anniversary collection or some other traditional platformers?
DDOEQ2

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 07:01:09 AM »
I have a busy day of blood tests and eye exams, but I'll try to remember to try Mighty Number 9 out with it, as well as Castlevania: Mirror of Fate. I don't think there will be a problem playing them, though.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 08:01:38 AM »
I finally remembered to try Castlevamia out, and I works great. I'm honestly having issues facing the prospect of having to use a standard controller, really.

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Gaming Lounge  |  Steam Controller

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.144 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx