gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
483919 Posts in 28349 Topics by 2463 Members - Latest Member: Gobers November 18, 2017, 01:25:02 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Museum  |  Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 06:52:02 PM »
The meeting between him and Kylo was too brief. The novelization provides a better link to Vader and more insight into Kylo's training and Snoke's motivation.

It was a fun movie, but too many times did I think J.J. just needed to slow down. He writes fun action scenes, but it seems like he's in a hurry to get to them. The characters he wants us to like come off more shallow because of it. It's because of Boyega's acting that I warmed up to him, and would like to have seen more of him and Poe. Rey felt more forced in there as the grrlpower protagonist who can do anything. It's fine that she's resourceful and naturally talented, but by the end of the movie she comes off a little too flawless.

I felt the same way about Rey and J.J. really needed to slow down a bit and introduce her better to us since she is by no means a minor character. Even New Hope with its ambiguous back story did a better job of introducing us to Luke and Luke was anything but flawless. I'm not against Rey (just the opposite), but she should've had at least as much development as what they gave Kylo IMO.

Also, BB8. I know it's not R2D2, but I would've liked to see more of BB8.
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2016, 03:03:12 PM »
I saw the film tonight and I certainly wasn't disappointed. I enjoyed it and can't currently think of anything I didn't like about it. I didn't feel there was anything about "racial minority empowerment" or "girl power". Now the Nazi comparison I can see with the speech to the big gathering of troops. But I'm not sure how you meant that, as if it was some bad thing? They are the bad guys, so wouldn't they have a similar feel to them?

There's allusion and then there's beating you over the head with it. It's not enough that they're called Stormtroopers and are based on the Nazi footsoldiers, you need a violent orator to channel Hitler before he gasses murders an entire solar system with a BIGGER Death Star. Third time's a charm, right?

The movie seems to be up its own ass with these sort of things, or at least the press surrounding it. I've actually read people lauding Finn as a character that brings some humanity to the Stormtroopers, like they weren't before. Even without watching the deleted scenes for ANH that state people were drafted into service for the Empire, they acted like normal people.

Then there's Captain Phasma, the much-hyped Boba Fette of the new trilogy, and the first female villain of the Star Wars franchise (if you ignore the EU). Whoopdy do, you know what happens to her? She lowers the shield's and gets tossed into a trash compactor just to make a humorous reference to how the first movie had a trash compactor. Good job, J.J., you really showed us a force to be reckoned with there. The nameless baton-wielding trooper that fought Finn and got shot was more impressive than her.

But I guess it was enough that she was a big-name female actor from Game of Thrones, and that's kinda disappointing. We're supposed to get excited over these characters because of their sex, in the name of being progressive and a better society, but it's just vanity. Abrams himself has confessed to wanting to cast more women and minorities in TV and films, which presumes that there just aren't enough of them, and that seeing them in pop culture more and more is a good thing. Not necessarily. We've already gone through this Hollywood culture shock thing way back when Star Trek introduced a black woman to TV and had her kiss a white guy. That was over 50 years ago, and movies like Blazing Saddles, The Terminator movies, and the Alien mpvies already came and went in the meantime. People remember them not because of an imaginary diversity quota being reached, it was because they were entertaining, and in some cases novel or outrageous.

I can at least give Force Awakens that much: it was entertaining, and it did generate some outrage, but absolutely no novelty. Boyega turned out to be a delight despite being so in-your-face about it, and it would've been cool to see more of him and Poe bro-ing it out. It also would've been cool to see more of Phasma hunting Finn or something, but it looks like we'll have to wait a year after Not Firefly Rogue One comes out to see her come back. Hopefully we'll even get to see a trash compactor too. Seeing Han again was nice, though Leia just looked even more old and washed up from her performance. And virtually no Luke.

Aside from all that, I don't really care that much about Rey, although it is funny to see J.J. getting mad that there aren't enough Rey toys selling. She's basically Supergirl from the primetime show: desperate to prove herself apart from her obvious male counterpart, and relatively godlike. People try to respond to accusations of her being a Mary Sue Jedi apprentice with theories that she could've been trained by Luke and then mindwiped. This even though we see a flashback of her as a little girl being left on Jakku. At least the explanation of why she's such a good pilot is plausible--she practiced on salvaged flight sim training from the Millennium Falcon or the Star Destroyer or something--but do you see the problem here? A good movie shouldn't have to rely on the EU or statements after the fact to explain itself. It spent too much time showing us stuff and big, wide shots and not telling us anything about her. The way they introduced Boyega was much better.

Kylo's kind of interesting for a shameless rip-off of Jacen Solo from the old EU, but he's not the malevolent force to be reckoned with, Snoke is, and even then he's just the lovechild of Sheev and Gollum without the subtlety or either. Just a vague air of mystery about him, despite being known by our heroes.

Lastly, I'm with you GW about BB8. (S)He was cute.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 03:15:55 PM by Kaiser Infinity »
~Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.~

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 09:01:10 AM »
See, this is why I don't listen to reviews on games/movies/books. I personally feel like you overanalyzed the movie, but c'est la vie. Bottom line, my 63 year old mother enjoyed the movie. That is an accomplishment with anything sci-fi/fantasy. I enjoyed it enough to watch a second time to actually notice more of the homages to the original trilogy (although the only one I can remember was when Luke's saber was pulled from the ice near the end right as Rey is about to engage Kylo Ren)

Bottom line? Some people are gonna hate it. Some are gonna love it. I love a good story, and that was delivered. Yes, it was a rehash of some older concepts, but seriously, how often is that NOT done?
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 07:10:05 PM »
If I had a choice between going to work one day and seeing Star Wars VII again, and money was no issue, I'd go see it again and probably enjoy it more than the first two times. Already saw it twice on account of getting free tickets one night. Wouldn't really stop me from harping on what I didn't like about it, but that's what I get for being bored at work and browsing imageboards to kill time.

Anyways, it doesn't take an overanalysis to see that it's A New Hope 2: Electric Boogaloo, for better or worse. Maybe Episode VIII really will make up for VII's shortcomings, but I do know that they're now rewriting the next two episodes based on reception of the first one. Where we were going to get two new female roles in Episode VIII to focus on, Lucasarts has asked writer/director Rian Johnson to downplay those new roles to focus on Rey, Finn, and Poe. Seems like a good sign.

I said before there were two young female roles, now I actually heard that the rewrite will make these roles smaller. They want to get to know better the characters they already have. So the new rewrite is shrinking the new roles in order to spend more time with Rey, Poe and so on.
http://www.inquisitr.com/2722789/star-wars-8-rogue-one-in-trouble-episode-viii-rewritten-after-the-force-awakens-success-christopher-mcquarrie-hired-to-fix-rogue-one/

Episode VII was quick, dumb fun. It wasn't overwrought with politics like the prequels, but it tripped over itself to get to the next action scene, and Rey came off a little too good with the Force for someone with no training or guidance. It almost comes off as a Space Balls 2, but played straight.
~Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.~

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 03:54:13 PM »
I'm glad they're focusing on the new characters they have. While I did like Episode 7, the characters were incredibly under developed. Rey needs a LOT more development and explanation as does Luke's reasoning for disappearing like he did.

I was satisfied with Finn's character development and while Kylo Ren needs more development, he's still better off than most of the others. For me Rey, Poe, Kylo, Snook, and Luke need the most development. I also want to see a 'passing of the torch' for the droids. I love R2D2 and C-3PO, but there are lots of droids in the Star Wars universe. I do think they can find a way to pass on to a new generation of droids. They started it with BB8 and they only have to finish it.

What I DON'T want to see is another Empire Strikes back. They have new characters, a new generation, it's time for something new. I get the reasoning behind rehashing old concepts and I do expect it to stay true to what Star Wars is but given how large the Star Wars universe is, they can easily come up with something new and stay true to Star Wars.

Episode VII was quick, dumb fun. It wasn't overwrought with politics like the prequels, but it tripped over itself to get to the next action scene, and Rey came off a little too good with the Force for someone with no training or guidance. It almost comes off as a Space Balls 2, but played straight.

That's how I feel about it too. It was good enough for me to like it and want to watch it again, but as a big Star Wars fan I help help but notice where it needs some improvement. I'm hoping that my beefs with this movie will fade away with Episodes VIII and IX so the story falls into place and then I won't have as many negative things to say about it.
DDOEQ2

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 03:47:51 AM »
What I DON'T want to see is another Empire Strikes back. They have new characters, a new generation, it's time for something new. I get the reasoning behind rehashing old concepts and I do expect it to stay true to what Star Wars is but given how large the Star Wars universe is, they can easily come up with something new and stay true to Star Wars.

By Lawrence Kasdan's admission, Force Awakens had a fair amount of ESB mixed into it despite mostly being ANH. As for rehashing old elements, that's just J.J.'s style, though Kasdan may have contributed a bit to the rehashing. I do know that whatever treatment George Lucas had for the sequel trilogy were thrown out by Disney, but the vague idea was the same.

That's how I feel about it too. It was good enough for me to like it and want to watch it again, but as a big Star Wars fan I help help but notice where it needs some improvement. I'm hoping that my beefs with this movie will fade away with Episodes VIII and IX so the story falls into place and then I won't have as many negative things to say about it.

To me, some of the more memorable scenes were action scenes, specifically the Millennium Falcon dogfight. I think that may be one of the only (rehashed) scenes I really liked; the next one that comes to mind is the scene with the CGI Rathtars. Nice practical effects there, I couldn't even notice it under the post-processing--just like the prequels!

You know what the funniest thing about this movie is? Harrison Ford finally got what he wanted ever since ANH, and now he's saying he was wrong about wanting Han dead and had a lot of fun filming TFA. Now he might come back via flashbacks or something. Could be a good move, but at this point it'd be nice to see Lando again.

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 10:54:04 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing Lando again either. He seems like a good candidate to talk some sense into Luke in the next movie depending on how stubborn Luke is about getting involved or training Rey. Both him and Luke were really close to Han and saving Luke in ESB has to amount to something more than what's been shown in ROTJ. If not that, Lando is a charismatic and capable leader for sure and I can see Finn and Poe working under him at some point while Rey bitch slaps some sense into Luke.

As for Han showing up in flashbacks in the next movie....I'm on the fence about it. I think it'll be pretty important for Kylo's development with showing some of his backstory, but that's not what I expect to see in a Star Wars film either since the other films got by without needing flashbacks of any kind. History was told by dialog and then events moved on to what was happening now. That being said they may not actually answer all our questions about Luke (which would piss me off) but given that all the plot holes can't be filled in one movie it's hard to draw the line between filling in holes vs advancing current events.

I also noticed the ESB influence in TFA. IMO J.J. tries to do too much in one movie. The ANH and ESB influence on TFA made it feel very clumsy to me since they were separate movies to begin with and it would've been better if it was just one or the other. I thought this was part of the reason why the movie felt like it needed to slow down a bit in some parts rather than just jumping from action sequence to action sequence. That said at least there was enough there for me to like and want to see more of. It was way better than the second Star Trek movie he worked on so I was glad he restrained himself on this one.
DDOEQ2

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Museum  |  Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.126 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx