gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
483919 Posts in 28349 Topics by 2463 Members - Latest Member: Gobers November 18, 2017, 01:23:22 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Museum  |  Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
« on: December 16, 2015, 09:47:45 AM »
Welp, it's here, so we might as well start talking about it.

I'll be seeing it opening weekend, but workplace boredom led me to checking out all the talk and spoilers for what happens, so like with the last Terminator movie, I know what I'm in for. Spoilers aside, I've never seen a more aggressive and progressive ad campaign. Everything everywhere is Star Wars. The new movie is all about how it isn't the prequels (even though Jay Jay said he liked them?) and will have the old cast back with some controversial newcomers--one of which is also from Game of Thrones! Man, the more I hear about it, the less I really want to see it.

The new movie (and the Rogue One spinoff) is all about girl power, racial/minority empowerment, and not-so-subtle allusions to Nazism, apparently. It's going to be one hell of a something, but however it turns out, J.J. won't be striking back from the director's seat of Episode VIII. I don't think it was made clear why, but between wanting to go back to ruining rebooting Star Trek, and forcing his casting choice for Finn against Disney's preferred candidate, it's likely his involvement was terminated, which is more than I can say about the prospect of a sequel to Terminator: Genisys.

Well, that's all I've got for now. See you at the movies!
~Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.~

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 07:24:41 PM »
I'm looking forward to this movie. I hope it doesn't suck or it will be the biggest disappointment of all time. I'm glad to hear that J.J. won't be directing Episode VIII. He ruined Star Trek. The first new movie wasn't great, but it was OK. The second one was pretty bad where I had everything figured out long before the end of it and it just felt like it went on and on to where I wanted to go to sleep before it was over.

I'll probably see the movie in a few weeks after the hype has gone down a bit and the theaters clear out a little to where you can move in there.
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 12:44:28 AM »
Well, GW, I can tell you two things about the movie without actually spoiling anything:

1) It's exactly what you'd expect from a J.J. Abrams film
2) It's a "New Hope" for a New Generation
~Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.~

Offline MottZilla

• Atoned
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Gaiden IV
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 07:27:17 PM »
I want to see it but I don't have any interest in seeing it in a packed theater. I don't have any expectation that it will stand up to the originals but I'm sure it's entertaining.
Ninja Gaiden IV:
Homepage

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 07:49:34 PM »
Well, GW, I can tell you two things about the movie without actually spoiling anything:

1) It's exactly what you'd expect from a J.J. Abrams film
2) It's a "New Hope" for a New Generation

1) Aw crap, but to a point I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt since Star Wars does have some fundamental differences to Star Trek.
2) Considering that Episode VI ended with collapse of the Empire and that it had looked like there would be peace in the galaxy again, why they would need a "New Hope" after that better have a good reason.
DDOEQ2

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 02:03:27 PM »
I don't think it'll be a spoiler to tell you that they--Abrams and Disney--are playing it real safe with this one.

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 03:53:04 PM »
I just saw it today. I'm SO GLAD that J.J. Abrams is not working on Episode VIII. He is a better fit for Star Wars instead of Star Trek, BUT only marginally.

It was good, but it's desperate need of more backstory.
DDOEQ2

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 03:58:27 PM »
He did well enough to jumpstart Star Wars again, but only just well enough. It was a fun movie I'd enjoy watching it again, but I think the hype worked against it a bit.

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 04:34:34 PM »
I agree. There's enough in it to make me want to watch it again as well as to see what I didn't pick up on the first time I watched it. It did succeed in rebooting Star Wars and there is enough material in there for me to want more (like the back story) so it at least accomplished that task.
DDOEQ2

Offline MottZilla

• Atoned
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Gaiden IV
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 05:03:35 PM »

2) Considering that Episode VI ended with collapse of the Empire and that it had looked like there would be peace in the galaxy again, why they would need a "New Hope" after that better have a good reason.

Money, that's the reason. I think I read they basically ignored what George Lucas had written or outlined for his vision of what would have happened after Return of the Jedi. Return of the Jedi was a fine ending to the trilogy. But if you wanted more you can always have a new faction or remnants of the Empire causing trouble and trying to get their power back.

I've not seen the movie yet but I'm trying to avoid hearing anything about it that would spoil anything.
Ninja Gaiden IV:
Homepage

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 07:38:06 PM »
That may be the case. All we know about George Lucas' treatment that's been said is it would take place about 30 years after RotJ and focus on their kids, which is true, but it's also very vague. We also know Michael Arndt's original screenplay for The Force Awakens was rewritten by J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan, so that could mean anything.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 12:16:25 AM »
I went Friday night to see the late show with SDG, JoeFalco, JF's gf, and my gf. I liked it. Keeping the backstory is not uncommon in Star Wars. To some extent, they did the same with A New Hope. It led to a major explosion of plot in Empire Strikes Back. I hope to see the same with Episode 8. I get the strong feeling there are trump cards not yet played. It did suck that there wasn't much info regarding Snoke, hoerver. Maybe there is a reason, but that particular bit  of info would have been nice.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 12:25:39 PM »
I went Friday night to see the late show with SDG, JoeFalco, JF's gf, and my gf. I liked it. Keeping the backstory is not uncommon in Star Wars. To some extent, they did the same with A New Hope. It led to a major explosion of plot in Empire Strikes Back. I hope to see the same with Episode 8. I get the strong feeling there are trump cards not yet played. It did suck that there wasn't much info regarding Snoke, hoerver. Maybe there is a reason, but that particular bit  of info would have been nice.

The meeting between him and Kylo was too brief. The novelization provides a better link to Vader and more insight into Kylo's training and Snoke's motivation.

It was a fun movie, but too many times did I think J.J. just needed to slow down. He writes fun action scenes, but it seems like he's in a hurry to get to them. The characters he wants us to like come off more shallow because of it. It's because of Boyega's acting that I warmed up to him, and would like to have seen more of him and Poe. Rey felt more forced in there as the grrlpower protagonist who can do anything. It's fine that she's resourceful and naturally talented, but by the end of the movie she comes off a little too flawless.

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
  • Take me back to the Mother Ship!
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 09:13:45 PM »
I had a few complaints and observations, but other than that I enjoyed it.
Read my novel, The Death Doll:
Paperback, eBook, or Audible

Latest Fight Comix Release:
2015 SEPTEMBER 27
Episode 207: Filler: Mission Brief 3 (Part 1 of 4)!

Offline MottZilla

• Atoned
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Gaiden IV
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 01:42:16 AM »
I saw the film tonight and I certainly wasn't disappointed. I enjoyed it and can't currently think of anything I didn't like about it. I didn't feel there was anything about "racial minority empowerment" or "girl power". Now the Nazi comparison I can see with the speech to the big gathering of troops. But I'm not sure how you meant that, as if it was some bad thing? They are the bad guys, so wouldn't they have a similar feel to them?

I'm sure after I watch the movie again a few times that I'll refine my opinion somewhat and maybe find a nitpick or two, but I think it was a good movie. It does make me want to see Episode VIII for sure. I was worried they would do something awful but they did much better than I expected.
Ninja Gaiden IV:
Homepage

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Museum  |  Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.147 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx