gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
483856 Posts in 28345 Topics by 2463 Members - Latest Member: Gobers October 19, 2017, 02:22:26 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  News  |  Downtime
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Downtime  (Read 3488 times)

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
Re: Downtime
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2016, 10:44:04 PM »
I think that if the community isn't producing any kind of content to generate traffic beyond itself, maybe dissolving the site wouldn't be such a loss?

Well, that's the crux of the issue. GU was all about fan gaming projects back in the day. I don't see it coming back without those as a showcase, although having quality DMs in the Role Playing World really kept me coming back when I was younger.

PS: Echoing the notion that game design takes hella long. The Witness took about athousandteen billion years, and that's a game about those paperback maze books at grocery store checkouts.

And how. What a pioneer.

Speaking of, the guy behind Handmade Hero helped with a good chunk of that game, among other C-related engineering projects he has under his belt. Also, the Miller bros behind Myst are getting back together for one more big game project. I'll go throw up a thread for the hell of it.
~Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.~

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2016, 11:39:27 PM »
I'd be all for a decent RPG again, but as is quite obvious, I don't have the time to be a DM, right now. My Journeys RPG was a nice hit at first, but it has hard to keep the ideas going, with all the other stuff I was involved in.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2016, 09:59:27 AM »
I could try and re-boot the Crossover RPG if anyone's interested. Or try brainstorming a good original thread RPG. Not saying that I don't have original ideas, it's just making a new world just for a thread RP seems a bit of a waste to me. :P Especially if I could just make a book out of it. :P

But, I'm willing to make a thread RP.
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline KingOfHumans

• Inactive
  • Messiah
  • Here today, gone tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2016, 01:22:01 PM »
Rebooting a RPG topic?
I'd rather see a RPG video game project instead.

The RPG section of GU is the one section I did not even bother to look at!

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2016, 02:48:10 PM »
It was also the most active. We each have our own ways of telling a story, KoH. Not everyone can make a video game.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2016, 05:43:41 PM »
Yeah, KoH, I don't remember if you dabbled in it or not at the time, but in the early 2000s the RPW was a big attraction here. We had Meta, Rowan, Armageddon, Aegis and Torgo DMing some really cool pen and paper RPG adventures. Meta's Realms of Terralis was my first and favorite, although I ended up getting killed off because I was going through one of my internet hiatus phases. I don't know if that thread is still saved or not, but I remember going through it some time ago. And yeah, it's a much easier venture than programming an videogame, but I know what you mean.

Ultimately videogames are best made by a team with clear goals, milestones and limitations defined at the outset, whether the team starts or ends with one guy. The few folks I can name that have made a game by themselves are Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya of
Cave Story
fame and more recently Toby Fox with Undertale; I don't think Jonathan Blow or Phil Fish were alone in making Braid and Fez respectively. I know I don't have the focus or the energy in my tank for something like that, but ideally I'd want to start with one or two solo projects under my belt.
~Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.~

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2016, 07:11:42 PM »
It was also the most active. We each have our own ways of telling a story, KoH. Not everyone can make a video game.

Exactly. I will never be able to code a quality game because I can't code. :P So, is anyone interested?
-Aegis Runestone-

Mormon Messages

Offline KingOfHumans

• Inactive
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2016, 07:35:16 PM »
I ignored the RPG section completely.
Did not matter if that was the most active part of the site.

I took 1 look at the posts and thought
(WTF is this weird posts... I'm out of here)

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2016, 08:23:40 PM »
Think of an RPG as a book. Only, some of the characters are played by different people. That's actually how the Dragonlace Chronicles trilogy were written, actually. Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, Jeff Grubb, and a few others were playtesting the Dungeons & Dragons camaign setting, and they converted the adventures of their characters into a set of novels. Fun fact, Grubb was a huge fan of halfling characters. The DM said they didn't exist on this world, so he made up the kender. He's my hero. ;)

Meta's Realms of Terralis was my first and favorite, although I ended up getting killed off because I was going through one of my internet hiatus phases.

That was a...particularly gruesome death, if memory serves. And I think the lightning spell while we were all standing in water was not long before that.

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2016, 09:53:09 PM »
Speaking of DnD RPGs turned to books, the same can be said of the Riftwar books by Raymond E. Feist. They were based off his role-playing club's custom DnD campaign in the realm of Midkemia, and before long, those books wound up inspiring a group of college kids to make one of the most well-regarded, classic PC Western RPGs of the DOS era: Betrayal at Krondor. I can still pick that up and play today, it's the best, though it might not look it.

That was a...particularly gruesome death, if memory serves. And I think the lightning spell while we were all standing in water was not long before that.

Yup. Something about my soul getting eaten or the like. That's what I got for being all moody and dramatic. I guess the group's adventures didn't last much longer after that?

There was another RPG wherein I rolled a Gene-Starwind-with-a-Mega-Buster character called Jeron or Jaron or something. I think I had a lightsaber too or something, and I may have inadvertently referenced the Jeron Fusion Cutter from Dark Forces when coming up with the name. I forget whose RPG that was, but I want to say it was either yours or I_Am_Torgo's.

Exactly. I will never be able to code a quality game because I can't code. :P So, is anyone interested?

Ah, what the hey. I'd be inclined to another adventure, long as I'm still coming here. I've been feeling really nostalgic lately.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 09:55:37 PM by Kaiser Infinity »

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2016, 12:50:33 AM »
There was a Star Wars RPG run by OL where you went all Qui-Gon and busted your lightsaber trying to melt through a door.

As for the not being able to code, there ARE other aspects to developing a game. Graphics, mysic, plot, level design. Coding is like 15% of the process, in a simple 2D game,

Offline Aliem

• Ț̼͍̩̹̥̞̩̖͝ ̺̰̟͝s̸҉̜̜̘̥̥̤̬͓͔̰͔̩ͅ ̴̡̭̪͍͇̕c̦̀̀͡ͅ&
  • Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2016, 07:55:36 AM »
I'm still one of the most active members on this site.
I give you ideas & I advertise this site still.

Kaiser, yes we do need help.

Here's the situation!

Rowan tries as hard as possible to keep the site going, instead of focusing on his life.
I shoot out useless ideas, that have 0 chance of doing anything.
Cyclone, Kaiser, Golden Warrior post random things.

And that's about it for this site.

I thank you for what you did to keep the site going, but I worry about your life.
(But maybe I don't have all the details, maybe you can go without a job for years)
For the past few years now, my job is youtube and helping around the house.
So, my life is nice and stable.

What do you want out of life, Rowan?
It's nice that you want to continue supporting GU, but I'm thinking about longterm for you.
Only sleeping & eating?
That's the problem right now!
You lack motivation.
If you can't find a job (I don't know the job market where you live), and you don't do nothing all day, make some youtube videos.
Even sucky channels can still make some money!
Do anything, anything at all!
Exercise even!

For GU to go anywhere at this time, it needs money put into it!
It needs hired staff!
It needs payed advertisement!

I know depression somewhat, but boredom usually takes over.
So I tend to do pointless tasks, usually helps the depression go away fast!

Super glad to see you're as clueless as ever.  Good god, "I worry about your life!"  Seriously, worry about your own.

I came here out of morbid curiosity, and am glad that people are still posting.

I am not glad that you are.  You were never constructive.  You begged to be made staff multiple times, and despite my better judgement I allowed that while I was able.

You failed.  You shirked your responsibilities.  You ignored your work.  Yet you still pestered others to do theirs.

You're the Ted Cruz of GU.  You bitch at everyone do work harder, yet you do nothing.  You are honest to god the reason why I left.

If you really want this site to florish, KoH, then leave.  You're poison.

EDIT

Also, hey everone.  Been a few years, glad I remembered my password.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 09:11:51 AM by Aliem »

Offline KingOfHumans

• Inactive
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2016, 04:14:18 PM »
You say I'm poison!
What did you do to help GU as an "admin?
Nothing!

You done nothing, but complain, and wine.

Sadly I failed then, if you returned! I wanted you gone for years, since we are being truthful!

edit: Now that you are back. What are your plans for GU? Any? You even going to make positive posts every now and then?
Or is your plan from now on to leave constantly? Respond to every post of mine in a negative way? Continue to say I'm poison?

I also wonder, if you told Rowan "Sorry Rowan, I don't want to do anything for GU, and this site is dying/dead because of KingOfHeart"

I'll end whatever fight this is here, and anymore fighting can continue through PMs. As I have not been negative for GU in about a year now!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 06:19:12 PM by KingOfHumans »

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2016, 05:22:32 PM »
Whoa! Everyone calm down! Let's not get at each others' throats! Insulting each other, telling others to leave, and mocking others is not going to help GU at all. Nor is it going to help it recover, if it possible to recover this site.

I don't know we can do, and tomorrow I'm starting a 40 hour per week job (which wouldn't be so bad for me if I had a freakin' car and knew how to drive it!) and I'm still going to lose 2 extra hours because I have to use the bus for now.

So, I'm going to get to understand what it's like to have a lot less time to have on hand (especially since I sleep 10 hours a day! I need/want the two extra hours that are not required to sleep). *sigh*

But anyway, attacking each other IS NOT going to fix anything.
-Aegis Runestone-

Mormon Messages

Offline KingOfHumans

• Inactive
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2016, 05:43:53 PM »
Agree with you Aegis.
The only reason I felt it necessarily to argue back, is because Aliem has been attacking me for a long time now.
I'm tired of the attacks!
So hopefully this is the end of it, or at least publicly!

The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  News  |  Downtime

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.142 seconds with 19 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx