gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
483856 Posts in 28345 Topics by 2463 Members - Latest Member: Gobers October 19, 2017, 02:22:20 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  News  |  Downtime
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Downtime  (Read 3487 times)

Offline Cyclone

• Higher Power
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zcnetwork.net
Re: Downtime
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2016, 12:33:59 PM »
Advertisers would balk.  There isn't enough activity to make them want to pay to advertise here.  Using a banner bar is an option, but there is so much malvertising showing up on them that it becomes necessary to adblock them.  Youtube isn't in that realm yet, with existing videos forming the ads they use, so it's probably still the safest advertising channel, and thus it's correct that advertising on Youtube can make a channel money.

ATM, I don't use this as I post videos sporadically, but I may in the future if I get the opportunity to do Let's Plays and stream and such and expand myself in the online video game streaming business.  At that point it would become beneficial to start trying to make money on my videos.  Right now, I'm happy helping out another streamer, which might actually have an unintended side effect of raising my own status through the work I do there; when I set up my own channel someday, people there will already know I'm a hard worker and will do what it takes to be successful, and also try to surround myself with the people who can help me to be more successful.  I look forward to being able to do that.

But indeed, Rowan, maybe together people here can help you be able to stream on Twitch and gain some fans, and maybe some donations.  Those can keep the site going, and you can even direct people here to form a community based on it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 12:36:04 PM by Cyclone »

Sig. image courtesy of Chayy.

Sephiroth: How do I edit the first bullet bill so it's fire rate is less rapid
inori: Well, first you die. Then its fire rate goes down to zero.
Marrshu: No actually it continues firing

GU Award Winner of Best Moderator (early 2004) and Best Global Moderator (rest of 2004).

As a general rule. don't solve puzzles that will open a portal to hell. It will ruin your day.

Offline KingOfHumans

• Inactive
  • Messiah
  • Here today, gone tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2016, 08:44:56 PM »
Actually, by payed advertisement, I meant you pay someone to advertise this place.
Of course, you'd also need to put some money into site first!
Payed staff!
(Pay them to make quality trending posts, and to mod)

Like I said before, this site really lacks gaming topics.
One person alone can not post about Zelda, TF2, Dota2, Counter-strike, AAA Games, Leaks, rumors, theories, religion.
You'd need at least 5 dedicated posters.

I hear people all the time getting bored waiting for a twitter reply...imagine how bored they be if no one replies constantly?
All you need is a spark of activity, after that, any fresh new member that would join, could provide the rest!

In the past, people said post count is meaningless, but so are achievements in videogames, but even though it's meaningless, it's kind of gives a motivational spark.

How many posters stop posting forever at 999? You get that itch, to post just once more.
For arcades, there's no fun unless if you are competing with someone. (GU has no competition, unlike back in the days).

BTW, any achievement mods, and not talking about post X amount of times.
I'm talking about "get x amount of likes", "get x amount of replies", "log on an average of x amount hours for at least x amount of days"

You guys are just short a spark.
Unfortunately, the real spark has to come from Rowan! You are the owner, you are the leader!

There might be a member here who will do something for the site, but if anything holds them back motivation wise, they will quit half way through.
It's why no project ever sticks around. There's no real support here.
(Also, if you want support on a project, you usually go to steam now)

So, instead of a gaming project in C++, a gaming channel is the next best thing.
If someone here makes a gaming channel, then GU itself needs to support it at the very least.
No thoughts about how it might fail, as sometimes "it's best to try, then to try at all"

For the past 5 years I only heard "stupid idea", "you do it", and "not good enough"
How some positiveness at least (talking about multiple users).

Hate to name names, but Janus was one of those members who was really negative, yet he/she failed to do anything for GU during her last activity here.
He/She was an admin, but I never saw he/she do anything other then mod some posts or ban members.
---------------------------------------------

BTW, I want to admit something once again in another thread.

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 10:11:34 AM »
I don't think we should worry so much about modding and banning people until we start getting fresh blood. That's low priority. It's not hard for any one of us to spot a spambot, delete the post and ban the user for free.

KoH and Cyclone may be onto something with the YT and Twitch streaming routes, but I personally consume neither. I prefer high-quality, well-played longplays or speedruns; these days the last thing I want to hear is someone trying to become an Internet personality by making jokes and smalltalk while playing a videogame. There's already plenty of those channels, like Game Grumps and Bro Team Pill, but KoH and Cyclone probably know better than I do about how a YouTube or Twitch presence could serve the site. If you've got the personality, want your voice heard, or just want to interact with a live chat, then go to it. My warning is that that sort of thing probably gets old and you need to have considerable draw. I'd also recommend looking into YouTube alternatives like Dailymotion or Vimeo. It's not good to be tied down to one service.

Right now, it looks like the indie game market is between boom and bust. Steam is filled with indie games fresh off of Greenlight, as well as AAA titles, not to mention Desura is still around. If there aren't any channels reviewing, long playing, or otherwise streaming these kinds of games, then that's a niche we can consider filling, but preferably only games we think are worth playing. Anything else would be a waste of time. If we want to review games, I suggest sticking to a quick video montage of gameplay footage without a voiceover, end it with some kind of visual score or recommendation, and then link to a written review on TheGamingUniverse proper. This way you give the viewer exactly what they want up front: how the game looks, sounds and plays, the offer a modest appraisal, and invite the user to read your opinion about the game. The more objective and professional, the more useful and valuable it'll be. Also, this way the videographer and the reviewer/player don't need to be the same person.
~Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.~

Offline KingOfHumans

• Inactive
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 11:05:58 AM »
Actually, I meant... that's all staff seemed to do. Is try to mod threads, and that's all the support they gave.
How did we end up with an entire staff, that got too busy for gaming?
It's like the entire staff was graduates, looking for a future... and that future did not involve GU in any way!

Uh to review a game, it costs money.
We'd have to review a Free game.

When it comes to youtube, if the viewers like your content, and want your channel to grow, not only will they like & sub, but they will do some small favors for you as well!
Quick montages can work, as you don't want to bore any of the viewers.

BTW, if you want super simple, be good at playing Super Mario Maker...fans love stars!
I kept joining this small channel livestream, because he was willing to play many of my levels & star it.
He also wasn't boring.

Large channels, you get ignored, and your levels never get played!

edit: Another problem I just remembered about is this
http://thegaminguniverse.org/downloads/OZDownloads/

None of the files are possible to access because an index was never made.
Tis a shame to, because someone back then wanted these files.
Now a fan of mine wants to actually see some of these games I made, but it's impossible to access!
Will you lead, Rowan? If there's a problem, I'd be happy to help.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 06:35:35 PM by KingOfHumans »

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 10:25:44 AM »
Actually, I meant... that's all staff seemed to do. Is try to mod threads, and that's all the support they gave.
How did we end up with an entire staff, that got too busy for gaming?
It's like the entire staff was graduates, looking for a future... and that future did not involve GU in any way!

That's what happens, man. These days if I'm not working, I'm doing home improvement projects or keeping to a fitness schedule. I make almost no time for hobbies or a social life, so I just end up going out with the folks on occasion.

For my part, I'm at a stage where if I want to do anything, it's make something. I still make some time to play games, but there isn't as much of it as there used to be. Best thing I could make of any playtime is to simply record my playthroughs and use the content for longplays or reviews, and these are with games I already own. I've got a healthy library between PlayStation and Wii to choose from, but no set up yet to record and store decent footage.

Uh to review a game, it costs money.
We'd have to review a Free game.

True. Likewise you'd need some decent recording equipment, unless you use an emulator and a free video capture software like CamStudio, but there's also a world of abandonware, romhacks, and fangames to try out and advertise. I guess if you want to monetize traffic you'd run into issues with licensing and copyrights for anything that isn't public domain, but if you just want to provide a free product and attract traffic, then money's no issue. Just time and effort.

Speaking of free services, a great one would be to take a game, any game, and have a video series on building it from scratch using a user-friendly language like Python, and the associated Pygame library. The best person for this job would be someone with experience making games like this. I guess if you have any experience with a tool, like OpenZelda, you could show people how to use it and generate interest in it by making good examples from it. Same could be applied to Super Mario Maker in theory. If someone's not doing it, we can jump on it.
~Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.~

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
  • Take me back to the Mother Ship!
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 06:06:01 PM »
I'm writing books and scripts, preparing to teach Soldiers, and managing with a wife and five kids.  Yeah, I don't really have time, either.
Read my novel, The Death Doll:
Paperback, eBook, or Audible

Latest Fight Comix Release:
2015 SEPTEMBER 27
Episode 207: Filler: Mission Brief 3 (Part 1 of 4)!

Offline MottZilla

• Atoned
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Gaiden IV
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 09:55:45 PM »
Is anyone still into game development?

Ninja Gaiden IV:
Homepage

Offline KingOfHumans

• Inactive
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2016, 01:34:51 AM »
Does making Mario Maker levels count?
The only other close thing is, dabbling a bit into simple TF2 scripts.

I completely left the script department after suffering from 24/7 coding thoughts!
I would try to remember codes all days, writing things down... it was a nightmare.
So, I reached the point, where I can't touch a real code again! (Or at least no more then like 5  min at a time)

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2016, 09:28:08 AM »
Is anyone still into game development?

Haven't produced anything, but I've been wetting my feet with Pygame most recently. There's also this ongoing develop-a-videogame-from-scratch instructional video series called Handmade Hero I've been meaning to get back around to, but in the meantime I'd really rather just pick a tool and make something with it. If anything that'll be more of a supplemental to actual game development, and in pure C no less.

Offline MottZilla

• Atoned
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Gaiden IV
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2016, 06:17:41 PM »
I'm looking to work on something but the usual problem is as always, artwork. Pretty much limited to whatever I already have or can find somewhere.

KoH, developing a game isn't just programming. A lot of what a game is also is getting as I mentioned above, the artwork together, as well as countless things about the design of the game. Maybe you can't deal with the programming, but if you are able to pull together complete artwork, ideas, mockups, level designs, etc. then getting it programmed really isn't a big deal.
Ninja Gaiden IV:
Homepage

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 07:28:50 PM »
I was at my best when I was able to code in my head 24/7 ;D

Seriously, I went to lazyfoo a couple of days ago to relearn SDL, since I never did after they released SDL2. After that hurdle is cleared, I have to find tutorials for lua, which is the scripting language I decided on for my engine.

And yes, like Mottz already said, coding is not everything involved in making a game. The overall design is a major chunk, as are artwork and music. Ninja Gaiden 4 has been on hiatus for how many years, now, because of graphics, specifically?
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline MottZilla

• Atoned
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Gaiden IV
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2016, 09:18:28 PM »
Graphics and levels were a part of it. I'm fairly tempted to start work on the project again even if that means just pulling random things from places for temporary. I'm also thinking about programming it for Playstation (the original) but ofcourse a PC port would be possible. I've always wanted to develop something larger for a console. I think Guardian even asked about the possibility of SNES at one point.

But from the programming on consoles that I've done the Playstation seems like the best choice of the old consoles, prior to Dreamcast and later. Plus then it would have the added cool factor of running on one of the most popular consoles of all time.

Back to PC development though, one thing I recently had to deal with was I wanted to finally replace my MSVC6. Yes, I'd been using MSVC6 for PC programming all the way up until recently. I had tried to modernize in the past but was met with compatibility issues. I finally ended up going with Dev C++ and have been pretty happy with it. I was able to compile various projects of mine including one of my NES emulators and my SNES emulator. The emulators are some of my other projects you might not know about. http://thegaminguniverse.org/ninjagaiden4/mottzilla/

They aren't meant to be "the emulator of choice" or something like that. They are just things I did for knowledge and fun. I certainly know a lot more about the NES, Gameboy, and SNES thanks to writing emulators for them.
Ninja Gaiden IV:
Homepage

Offline Phoenix Gamma

• Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2016, 09:45:15 PM »
Honestly, I just poked my head in here in recent months out of the morbid curiosity of whether this community is even still kicking.

I think that if the community isn't producing any kind of content to generate traffic beyond itself, maybe dissolving the site wouldn't be such a loss? There's always value of preserving years of discussions in their original form, so I dunno how easy it'd be for you to save, you know, over a decade of forum posts and such, but as far as reaching out to people and starting conversations and sharing creative work, there are other tools/platforms/networks that might serve a more practical use (holla at ya boi @letitmelo on twitter haaaaaaaaaay).

I mean, I don't want to the one who only pops up to drive a steak into the heart before slinking away, but I can speak for myself when I say that the reason I tapered off wasn't because of the people (y'all dope and played a big part of my teenage years) but because I found other outlets that were producing more content and connecting more people.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm glad I could have been here, and I'm glad Rowan's dedicated to propping it up, but you shouldn't feel obligated to put yourself in a crummy financial/life situation just to keep the lights on here. People will find ways to stay in touch  :l^_^

Anyway, whether or not this you guys decide to build this place back up or not is totally cool, so I wish everyone well either way. I already mentioned how to reach on the twitz if you want to chat art or movies or games or the horrors of day to day existence or whatever. I'm also ScribbleMonkey on WiiU and my Steam ID is right [here].

-Peej

PS: Echoing the notion that game design takes hella long. The Witness took about athousandteen billion years, and that's a game about those paperback maze books at grocery store checkouts.

Offline KingOfHumans

• Inactive
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2016, 11:07:03 PM »
I feel that this place is a passion for Rowan.

It's sort of like Minecraft. You start a project, and even though you take several breaks, you still want to continue working on it, even if there's newer versions
(new versions = Better places).

If that's the case, I do know that feeling.
Tis the end of the month, no downtime right?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 12:35:48 AM by KingOfHumans »

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2016, 01:48:08 PM »
It'll probably go down tonight or tomorrow. I slept past 1, so I couldn't get the monet in the bank to pay the host. Regardless, it will be up on Monday, if it does go down.

GU is not a project for me, it's a home. It always has been. One that all of staff neglected in one way or another over the years. SDG and I have been discussing an idea that might draw in some people, but my primary focus is getting Yggdrasil going.

I don't want to the one who only pops up to drive a steak into the heart before slinking away
The only place a steak should be going is my mouth. ;]
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  News  |  Downtime

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.18 seconds with 19 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx