gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
483856 Posts in 28345 Topics by 2463 Members - Latest Member: Gobers October 19, 2017, 02:25:36 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  News  |  Downtime
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Downtime  (Read 3489 times)

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
Downtime
« on: November 29, 2015, 03:19:01 PM »
As I'm still looking for a job, I haven't been able to get the funds necessary to pay the host, so we're gonna be cut off for a bit. Most likely only a week or so, two at the most. I'm sorry about this, guys, but c'est la vie
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
  • Take me back to the Mother Ship!
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
Re: Downtime
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 10:13:44 PM »
Will everything we've done here remain on the servers?
Read my novel, The Death Doll:
Paperback, eBook, or Audible

Latest Fight Comix Release:
2015 SEPTEMBER 27
Episode 207: Filler: Mission Brief 3 (Part 1 of 4)!

Offline KingOfHumans

• Inactive
  • Messiah
  • Here today, gone tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 11:26:09 PM »
Is GU worth the money still?
From a R/L stand point, surviving is #1 importance!

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 06:25:18 AM »
ve asked myself that question many times over the years. IIs it worth it? Is GU worth the time, the effort? Even now, as the owner. Is it now also worth the money? When I joined GU in 2002, the place was thriving. We had members. We had active projects. We had staff with an active interest in seeing the site grow as a whole. Then, something changed. The site as a whole became darker, as we were bombarded with difficulties ranging from peoject developers being too busy with the various challenges they faced in real life to hackrtd to unruly members acting like the children they were. GU, my "digital home," became darker and darker as fewer members wanted to be here as a result of so much negativity. I asked myself, time and again: "Is it worth it?"

The answer will always be a resounding yes. As long as I can get the bill paid, it will be paid. GU is in a slump from hell. But I have faith that if we pour in the love that the place needs, new life will spring forth. We, the "Oldbies" that still visit, need to give this site the love she needs to flourish once again, even as we age and become more or less "Ancients." In so doing, we will eventually pull in new members that will see the love we hold for this place and think: "Wow...this place is a nice place. The members aren't out to slit each other's throats. They even share things about themselves and their individual works!" They might even find a project or two here, God willing.

Hmm...I guess a simple "yes" would have worked, but hey, I like to talk...sometimes. ;p
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
  • Take me back to the Mother Ship!
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 08:39:21 AM »
Hear, hear! lol  Couldn't have said it better myself.
Read my novel, The Death Doll:
Paperback, eBook, or Audible

Latest Fight Comix Release:
2015 SEPTEMBER 27
Episode 207: Filler: Mission Brief 3 (Part 1 of 4)!

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 06:52:13 PM »
What, yes? ;p

Offline MottZilla

• Atoned
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Gaiden IV
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 06:09:22 PM »
I'm glad it's back up. I didn't know why it was down. Just one day I got a message from someone trying to download one of my projects and the link not working. That's when I noticed the site being down. I guess I should try to keep up more but as you said, life.
Ninja Gaiden IV:
Homepage

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 09:57:17 AM »
Hey Rowan, if the site is hard up for cash, I'd be willing to consider donating. I might not be on much, but this was my first home on the internet. It'd be a shame to see it go down for good.
~Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.~

Offline Cyclone

• Higher Power
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zcnetwork.net
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 12:09:54 AM »
ve asked myself that question many times over the years. IIs it worth it? Is GU worth the time, the effort? Even now, as the owner. Is it now also worth the money? When I joined GU in 2002, the place was thriving. We had members. We had active projects. We had staff with an active interest in seeing the site grow as a whole. Then, something changed. The site as a whole became darker, as we were bombarded with difficulties ranging from peoject developers being too busy with the various challenges they faced in real life to hackrtd to unruly members acting like the children they were. GU, my "digital home," became darker and darker as fewer members wanted to be here as a result of so much negativity. I asked myself, time and again: "Is it worth it?"

The answer will always be a resounding yes. As long as I can get the bill paid, it will be paid. GU is in a slump from hell. But I have faith that if we pour in the love that the place needs, new life will spring forth. We, the "Oldbies" that still visit, need to give this site the love she needs to flourish once again, even as we age and become more or less "Ancients." In so doing, we will eventually pull in new members that will see the love we hold for this place and think: "Wow...this place is a nice place. The members aren't out to slit each other's throats. They even share things about themselves and their individual works!" They might even find a project or two here, God willing.

Hmm...I guess a simple "yes" would have worked, but hey, I like to talk...sometimes. ;p
I should note I never chose not to be here, myself.  I just...kinda drifted into other projects.  And other activities.  I still use GU appended to my Cyclone username as I still know I had some good times here, but as things got quieter here, I went looking for a community and activities again.  Currently, I edit at Bulbapedia, am occupied with Mario Maker and other Wii U games, am a moderator at a Twitch stream (if I may indulge, Familyofgamerz, come say hi when we're on, the 13 year old has beaten six Panga levels and is very skilled), am always on my 3DSes (yeah, two active ones ATM), and just dealing with life.  There are many days where there's nothing new here, so if I check in, it's more sporadically, like today when I just happened to reload my tabs again.  I still think about the times here, and how things started to fall apart for the site in general while Dark Jim was still the overseer.  I would hate for GU to end up going away, but at the same time am surprised it's still here.  I just hope things end up going well and that, perhaps by some chance, a project that looks good might end up coming here and making the place active again.  And, if it's something that interests me, I would be here every day again taking part in that project.  That would actually be kinda nice.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 12:15:46 AM by Cyclone »

Sig. image courtesy of Chayy.

Sephiroth: How do I edit the first bullet bill so it's fire rate is less rapid
inori: Well, first you die. Then its fire rate goes down to zero.
Marrshu: No actually it continues firing

GU Award Winner of Best Moderator (early 2004) and Best Global Moderator (rest of 2004).

As a general rule. don't solve puzzles that will open a portal to hell. It will ruin your day.

Offline KingOfHumans

• Inactive
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 01:52:21 AM »
How would a project get support here though?

First someone with a project would have to contact Rowan, and he'd have to be active enough to respond within a reasonable time.
Next, the project would need viewer support.
The last set of projects didn't have any viewer support.

It was like "Welcome to GU", and they replied for maybe a week to support them.
After that, we basically ignored them til they released some kind of demo, which was almost never.

At this point, I'd be willing to support cool Mario Maker creators.
Everyone loves stars, and if you're not some popular youtuber, you end up advertising your level to some random livestreamer.
I personally advertise my levels everywhere I can.

---------------------------
Some of my fans like my commentaries, maybe I'll do one that includes this place.
Like, my early Youtube days... which I did some GU videos
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:54:51 AM by KingOfHumans »

Offline Cyclone

• Higher Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 03:20:18 PM »
I get that, I try to show off my levels as well.  Some streamers are cool and chill, but some just don't seem to care.  Maybe all the troll levels are getting to them...

GU Award Winner of Best Moderator (early 2004) and Best Global Moderator (rest of 2004).

As a general rule. don't solve puzzles that will open a portal to hell. It will ruin your day.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 09:43:50 AM »
Active enough? Just because I'm not on the actual site doesn't mean I'm not around. And Children of the Void never really gave GU anything. Their members were here only to discuss their game, they never released any demos, and there were very few that ever ventured out of their boards. A lot of the last few projects were like that, including the catastrophe that was LieroX.

Why are you even here, KoH? All you ever do is moan and gripe about the site barely being active. You show no interest in correcting the issues we have. And here I thought I was a Negative Nancy.

I'm barely holding things together right now because I'm unemployed. Being unemployed is very harsh on a person's mind. I rarely even think about doing much right now besides sleeping and eating. If I had the tools to revive the site, I would, but it would take forever for the simple fact that I am the ONLY person trying. Everyone else has left for the most part, for their own reasons, justifiable or not.

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 03:29:55 PM »
Sorry to hear that, man. At least KoH sticks around and offers ideas and feedback, which are a dime a dozen, but I'm no better. What we need is more help, but everyone's either moved on or is tied up. It can't be helped until something changes.

Do what you have to do in the meantime, Rowan. Good luck.
~Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.~

Offline Cyclone

• Higher Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 10:55:16 AM »
Active enough? Just because I'm not on the actual site doesn't mean I'm not around. And Children of the Void never really gave GU anything. Their members were here only to discuss their game, they never released any demos, and there were very few that ever ventured out of their boards. A lot of the last few projects were like that, including the catastrophe that was LieroX.

Why are you even here, KoH? All you ever do is moan and gripe about the site barely being active. You show no interest in correcting the issues we have. And here I thought I was a Negative Nancy.

I'm barely holding things together right now because I'm unemployed. Being unemployed is very harsh on a person's mind. I rarely even think about doing much right now besides sleeping and eating. If I had the tools to revive the site, I would, but it would take forever for the simple fact that I am the ONLY person trying. Everyone else has left for the most part, for their own reasons, justifiable or not.

Dude, I've been unemployed for three years straight, nearly four.  I know what that feels like.  My one job was a job during the federal election for temporary work.

Offline KingOfHumans

• Inactive
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 06:51:21 PM »
I'm still one of the most active members on this site.
I give you ideas & I advertise this site still.

Kaiser, yes we do need help.

Here's the situation!

Rowan tries as hard as possible to keep the site going, instead of focusing on his life.
I shoot out useless ideas, that have 0 chance of doing anything.
Cyclone, Kaiser, Golden Warrior post random things.

And that's about it for this site.

I thank you for what you did to keep the site going, but I worry about your life.
(But maybe I don't have all the details, maybe you can go without a job for years)
For the past few years now, my job is youtube and helping around the house.
So, my life is nice and stable.

What do you want out of life, Rowan?
It's nice that you want to continue supporting GU, but I'm thinking about longterm for you.
Only sleeping & eating?
That's the problem right now!
You lack motivation.
If you can't find a job (I don't know the job market where you live), and you don't do nothing all day, make some youtube videos.
Even sucky channels can still make some money!
Do anything, anything at all!
Exercise even!

For GU to go anywhere at this time, it needs money put into it!
It needs hired staff!
It needs payed advertisement!

I know depression somewhat, but boredom usually takes over.
So I tend to do pointless tasks, usually helps the depression go away fast!

The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  News  |  Downtime

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.201 seconds with 19 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx