gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
483919 Posts in 28349 Topics by 2463 Members - Latest Member: Gobers November 18, 2017, 01:25:40 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Museum  |  Fanfiction
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fanfiction  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Reth_Eldirood

• Enigmatic Immortal
  • Let It Rain
    • View Profile
Fanfiction
« on: April 23, 2015, 08:06:06 PM »
Yeah, it's going there.

So, I admit I'm picky about mine; quality of writing is usually more important to me than the premise, though a good premise helps.  I've picked up a few good ones, which by odd coincidence tend to be *long* stories as well.  I thought I'd share with everyone.

The Dresden Fillies trilogy: Strange Friends, False Masks, and Great Power, the last of which is ongoing.  Crossover fic in which Harry Dresden, wizard, accidentally enters Equestria.  Hijinks ensue, followed by some serious crap.

Dungeon Keeper Ami is another crossover, of Sailor Moon and the video game Dungeon Keeper.  Sailor Mercury gets stuck in a negative space wedgie and finds herself the proud owner of a brand new Dungeon Heart.

The Power of the Pen is a bizarre but fun little metastory in which characters from the Firefly universe find slash fanfic of characters from the Firefly universe.

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality is the single longest, and single most reviewed, story on fanfiction.net.  Written by a researcher, the story is an alternate universe of the HP saga with several major changes, the most important of which is that instead of Vernon Dursley, Harry's aunt Petunia married a tenured Oxford professor of science, and Harry was taught the scientific method.  The fic had the stated goal of compressing the primary plot of the entire HP saga into the first year of Harry's schooling.

Anyone else got any they like?
Māthair mbeannacht ort.  (Mother's blessing upon you.)

"What kind of Foolamancer are you?"
"What kind are you, that made a natural fool of an artificial one?"
Stanley and the Foolamancer, Erfworld

"I should have mentioned - never dare the universe to get weirder."
- Dead Debbie, Indefensible Positions

Current projects:
Reth Plays Cave Story!
Twitch streaming Tuesday through Thursday starting 11:30 PM EST

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfiction
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 04:54:14 PM »
I write fan fiction, but I don't read it. I find that unhealthy. XD I'm a hypocrite, I now, but I prefer to read original novels to keep me up to speed with my writing.
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
  • Take me back to the Mother Ship!
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 09:32:52 PM »
I wrote Star Wars (Episode 2.9): Sonak and Espa.  Does that count?  I've pretty much been concentrating on my own original (I hope) novels that I intend to publish as soon as I can.  I'm shopping for a novel cover artist now and it's not going great so far.
Read my novel, The Death Doll:
Paperback, eBook, or Audible

Latest Fight Comix Release:
2015 SEPTEMBER 27
Episode 207: Filler: Mission Brief 3 (Part 1 of 4)!

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 05:03:56 PM »
Spilling our spaghetti thread, eh? Hehe, okey-dokey.

I only started reading fanfiction when I got into the brony fandom. Something about the pony phenomenon and how it exploded just got me interested, so here are the top three I've enjoyed reading:

Arrow 18 Mission Logs: Lone Ranger - It's one of the best regarded examples of both the "Human in Equestria" genre--which generally mediocre to awful--and the "First Contact" theme in MLP fiction, of which I've only heard of one other good one. Currently ongoing with a sidestory titled Sparkles' Notes. Earth sends a lone astronomer to investigate a peculiar solar system where the star is orbiting a small, Earth-like planet, and what he finds is Equestria, where he meets a very smart little unicorn living in a very familiar looking hamlet. Very cute, fun read, takes place before S3. The best part is, as of this posting, it's recently been completed!

Stardust - Ponies and XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Much darker and more action-packed than Lone Ranger, but nevertheless comes with that element of innocence that makes the show and its characters so endearing. This is an alternate take on what happens in the show beginning with the Season 3 episode where they try to reform Discord. Rather than play along with them, the God of Chaos sends Twilight very, very far away, to a planet under siege by deadly foreign invaders. That is where her terrible new adventure begins. It has several sequels and sidestories totaling 5 from the original author, but if you weren't a huge fan of where S3 went, then you'll be fine with just reading this one.

Mort Takes a Holiday - This one's adapted from one of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels focusing on the personification of Death, except in the world of Friendship is Magic. A very fun, cute and quirky read. Currently ongoing. Recommended listening material includes select tracks from Super Mario RPG and Blue Oyster Cult's (Don't) Fear the Reaper.

~Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.~

Offline xainy

• Moe~
  • Scholar
  • can't find the exit...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 05:49:53 PM »
I'm not really into sci-fi-ish stuff or XCOM but that third one looks kind of hilarious, haha.

I have read some pony fiction [coughCupcakescough], but I generally go for Tumblr ask blogs when I read pony stories. There are a couple fascinating ones that would make pretty good fanfiction, but I enjoy the almost web-comicy feel of the ask blog format.

I don't really do fanfiction anymore. I used to read them more often when I had more time, but lately, I hardly even have time to read novels that aren't audiobooks. XD I think the last fanfic I read [that wasn't a pony fic I read out of morbid curiosity] was probably a Harry Potter one? Or maybe a xxxHolic one. It's been years now and I don't remember.

I'll have a lot more input after someone makes a thread about webcomic recommendations. ;D

Offline Kaiser Infinity

• Ascended
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 06:32:28 PM »
I've read a few good pony tumblrs. One of them's Tales of Ponyville, which I'm looking forward to reading the rest of once it's out. Then there's the old CYOA classic of Woona on the moon, absolutely adorable. There was another CYOA tumblr starring Octavia that looked really good, but I've forgotten the name of it now. It began fairly recently, like a year or two ago.

Other than pony and videogame-related comics (Bob and George & VGCats being my first), the last really good one I read that's been published to graphic novels is Bear Nuts: a cheeky, bawdy parody of Care Bears that's a real riot. Most recently I stumbled upon the Foxhole, which has a pretty nice cartoony style to it.
~Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.~

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Museum  |  Fanfiction

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.111 seconds with 19 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx