gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484219 Posts in 28368 Topics by 2466 Members - Latest Member: Second Channel April 21, 2018, 12:55:03 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  Discussion  |  Moving forward - New Ideas
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Moving forward - New Ideas  (Read 8804 times)

Offline xainy

• Moe~
  • Scholar
  • can't find the exit...
    • View Profile
Re: Moving forward - New Ideas
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2015, 05:33:26 AM »
Yeah, I had someone join a bit ago and he made a few posts over a few weeks [maybe a month or two] but I don't think he's been back on here since the time he got flamed for no reason. I think he was apologized to, but tbh, if I was him, I wouldn't have come back either after that.
Disagreements are going to happen, and I'm not trying to point fingers, but if we're going to be aggressive toward people without cause, the forum isn't going to grow, ever. It seems like some of the members think they've been here so long, they're above the law, so to speak. I've talked to Rowan about it before and it hasn't been an issue lately, but if it starts happening again, we're going to keep losing the members we do recruit.

The other issue I see is that this is kind of an exclusive club at this point and it's really really easy to feel like an outsider, even for someone like me who has been around for a long time [which is why I frequently go silent or don't log in for months at a time]. Maybe it's just me, but even when I first joined here when I was like...14? I felt like I was never really an accepted part of the group, but I was young enough that the couple close friends I did have here were enough to keep me coming back to IRC. I didn't post much in the actual forums, I just hung out with people in chat. I still only really come here for camaraderie because I know you guys.

Anywho, unless we recruit only friends/family that we are already very close to or massive numbers of strangers so the oldbies wouldn't be the majority anymore, I don't think the exclusivity issue is going to change and it's going to affect the people who try to join and integrate themselves. I know we don't INTEND for it to feel exclusive, but it invariably happens when a group matures. We have years of history and inside jokes, memories, old friends, etc. that people who joined now wouldn't get or be in on and that's a really effective way to make someone feel like they don't belong, especially if you pair it with members that are unnecessarily aggressive about mundane topics.

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
  • Take me back to the Mother Ship!
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2015, 09:11:37 AM »
On the other hand, if one of those people had a new project to bring (especially if it had some kind of following), it could change the dynamic.  Just a thought.
Read my novel, The Death Doll:
Paperback, eBook, or Audible

Latest Fight Comix Release:
2018 JANUARY 22
Episode 208: Filler: Mission Brief 3 (Part 2 of 4)!

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2015, 09:24:45 PM »
Almost 13 years ago, I noticed Jim posting on AGN and saw a banner link in his sig. After I got here, I noticed immediately that GU was mostly full of nice people, and I started getting to know them. This place became like a family to me.

And then we got hit by the Narshe attacks. It changed almost all of staff. We took a harsher stance towards offenders, and especially right after the hacks we were rather ban happy. "Well, they should have read the rules" was a commonplace comment, including from myself. A lot of the memberbase that stuck around was also entering a different age group, changing the way they thought and acted. In all, GU had become, as Emaleth predicted, "like AGN".

After I took over as Head Admin, and then as Owner, I tried to fix this problem here and there, but in all honesty, when a young adult gets on the internet after a hard day of school and/or work, most of them aren't really in the mood to be nice. Thay needs to change. We NEED to care. A related issue is the use of profane language. That needs to lessen, GREATLY.

And the cliques. In any form of societal gathering, like minded and like gifted people are going to gravitate towards each other. That's to be expected. However, it becomes a problem when these groups start getting snobbish towards other people that would like to improve their own talents by learning, from those very groups of people. We are all good at something. We can only improve ourselves in anything by learning. You're only hurting yourself by shutting someone out that wants to learn from you.

Directly related to that is the flaming and trolling issue. I was not aware we had an issue with this, but I will make it clear. If ANYONE is caught flaming and/or trolling, they will be dealt with by staff if we are aware of it. If we are not, bring it to our attention. I'm not saying be a tattle tell. Most of us are grown adults, and I'd like to think we can BE grown adults in the face of this type of thing. DO NOT, however, retaliate to flaming or trolling. That only doubles the number of people we have to warn. And if it's a member of staff, bring the issue to me, immediately. I will not tolerate representatives of GU acting in such manner. If I don't consider myself above the rules, then no one should consider themselves above the rules. Those that join communities like GU specifically to test that should look elsewhere. I have no patience for that mentality.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline xainy

• Moe~
  • Scholar
  • can't find the exit...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 01:13:51 AM »
I think the majority of the members don't have a problem with aggression but it may be a patience issue with those that do, like you said. I understand the impulse and maybe they just don't realize how they come off at times, but it still affects other people and becomes a problem. Hopefully it stays like it has been for a while, it's been pretty pleasant around here, though quiet!

As for the cliques, I don't think it's a conscious thing anyone does on purpose [though it might have been at one point, I can't say]. I don't think anyone's been purposely shutting anyone out or anything. I just think if we did start recruiting new members, it would be something for everyone to keep in mind and try to be as welcoming as possible without being like "oh hello newbie, we've all been here for upwards of a decade, haha!" It's true, and could sound friendly and jesterly if you worded it more cleverly than I did...just might not make someone feel as included as they could when one of the first things pointed out is us vs. them.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2015, 04:15:23 AM »
I'm glad these points got brought up, now. As you've said, it is mainly stuff people don't realize how they're coming off as. I once got into a big argument in chat with Nightmare, who thought I was being extremely rude to him. I speak bluntly, most of the time, so it did not come across as rude to me. After a mediator had been brought in a few days later to try and keep the peace, I re-read the log from the night it happened, and clarified what was going on.

So on that front, you are absolutely correct in that we need to be mindful in how we talk to thers. I have to do this in RL, as well, as people get this weird impression that I want to stab someone for no reason whatsoever. :p
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline xainy

• Moe~
  • Scholar
  • can't find the exit...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2015, 06:15:26 AM »
Yeah, especially through text, people get wayyyy less context clues than they would if we were speaking in person, so it's always a good thing to have that in mind and read things back to yourself before posting, IMO [not you, Rowan, just general "you"]. I try to do that as much as possible and sometimes I end up not posting if I can't think of a way to eloquently word things. Not trying to sound preachy or anything, just something I've learned over the years watching [mostly furry] drama pass by. XD It's astounding the number of arguments that are caused by a misunderstanding, when otherwise there wouldn't be a disagreement at all.

Edited for grammar and also because I worded something very stupidly. 8) Double negatives, wheeee~
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 04:41:05 PM by xainy »

Offline KingOfHumans

• Always Watching
  • Messiah
  • Here today, gone tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2015, 04:09:15 PM »
GU isn't going to get any real new members other then friends because GU lacks one important thing.

ADVERTISING!

Typing "The gaming universe" brings up this place, but what other key words on google shows this forum?
Back then, Lierox & OpenZelda(the word "zelda forum") was searched a lot up, and my one Zelda Quest was featured on another website.

That's why I'm sad to see the "GU Reporter" not having activity as of right now. All you guys have to do, is report on trending topics first of all.
The tricky part though is getting it viewed. However, as a trending topic, it would show up in the google search, which could get these forums viewed a lot more.

That's why I suggested making a youtube channel & making some kind of videos to represent your channel in some way. If the video is liked, the forum could be used as a discussion place for that video. Poor "GU Radio", you could of easily be converted into a podcast.
Or make a "Let's Play" channel.

This is the "Gaming Universe" but really lacks the gaming as of right now.

"word of mouth from GU members" could get a person to join here and there, might stay, might not...but there's not much reason for them to stick around.

Advertising is what this place really needs!

Offline xainy

• Moe~
  • Scholar
  • can't find the exit...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2015, 06:45:36 AM »
As you pointed out in your own post, you can't have advertising without content. You can't have content without members who have the free time and desire to create the content. And that's something that's hard to get without already having it because what people look for before anything else when advertising a project is an audience, which is something we really don't have. No one is just going to join and supply the site with a project to work on which will then magically attract an audience.

Why don't you make a video or a Let's Play channel, KoH? This is like the second time at least that I've seen you adamantly suggest someone do something similar to this and a third time, you even posted that you knew people were going to ask why you didn't do it yourself. In that same post, you said you knew people would have "excuses" about free time vs jobs, family, etc.

You're going to get the same replies again. No one has the time or resources to put original content into this site that they weren't already going to be making anyway or they would have done it by now. Honestly, the way it's going to come off if you keep making that same suggestion is that you think we're just being lazy and lying about being busy while we bathe in free time and cackle.

In my bluntly honest opinion, until any one of us has time to devote to a new project [which I don't see happening because we aren't in high school anymore], we need to just accept this site for what it is; an archive of better times. If it weren't for the sentimental attachment we have to this place, none of us would still be here, but that's about all we have right now and sentimentality isn't going to save it.

I don't have a problem with the way the site is now. The reason I come here is to talk to you guys and discuss some games. That is not to say I wouldn't help in reviving it if someone actually started doing something [I tried to make a logo, after all]. But sitting around telling other people to make content and fix the site isn't ever going to change anything and right now, that's all anyone has the time to do.

Offline KingOfHumans

• Always Watching
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2015, 02:04:43 PM »
I expect no one to actually do it. At this point, I'm really looking for a "You got a point, it does lack proper advertising".

The title of this thread is "Ideas". Not, "Who wants to take charge"
If we can all agree on an idea, then slowly(probably very slowly) we can work towards this idea.

I'm not a Let's Player... in fact, for the most part, I don't like watching Let's Plays. However, I do enjoy "Video Games Awesome", and I found another Let's Player called
"The Girl From Aus". She's just a normal looking girl(so it's not for the boobs or because she's attractive). I kind of enjoy watching her because of how emotional evolve she gets with the game. She cries so easily, gets scared so easily, and laughs at the silliest stuff. It makes it very interesting.
That means I'm slowly evolving into enjoying Let's Players.
Anyone have have an interesting, sexy, funny personality or voice? (useful for other things as well)
I sure don't!!!!

If we can agree on something, then maybe we could pay someone to at the very least to give us a start.
Only we feel this idea is a must, and it will really help GU in the long run.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2015, 09:15:35 AM »
So...back in 2002 when we had our first surge of members (this was the time period I joined, even), when we had no advertisement whatsoever outside of sig banners at AGN and a few other sites, it was a fluke? Or when the LX crowd moved in? No, KoH, you are wrong. It is not advertisement we need. We need something that would warrant advertisements. Be it a Youtube channel (a dime a dozen, as the saying goes), a serious project, or something else entirely, we need something that gives the site purpose. I've been saying this over and over for how many years?

I'll admit it. I have not accomplished much of anything since taking over ownership of GU outside of having active control over many things the site really needed back when we had a more active memberbase. I also have a life outside of GU and a very stressful and tiring job. The free time that I do have outside of work and sleep has to be delegated. I am only one man, and I can't do everything.

Ideas are great. You used to have a bunch of them on a weekly basis with Open Zelda. However, those ideas never really went anywhere. Do I blame you? No. Why not? The very same reasons I am stuck as one of the few staffers still around, much less actually wanting the site the revitalize, possibly even get bigger and better than it was in its prime. A one man job is tedious, overbearing, and at times unappreciated.

If you want to help, feel free to actually DO something, versus just throwing ideas out. If a proof of concept looks viable, we can use it.You want to do some kind of video series? Good! Record something and send it to me to look over. But don't you dare judge me for not taking your complaints about what GU has or has not, when all toy're doing is talking. We can ALL talk. I''ve even spoken IRL with Guardian, SDG, JoeFalco, and M-BASS over the years, to get their opinions on what we COULD do.

All that being said, I'm not just sitting on my butt doling out money that could be better served elsewhere. I am constantly thinking about the things I can do myself to improve GU. I have to relearn SDL if I'm going to get back into game development. I can try working more on the new theme Janus/Aliem and I were doing based off of Kratheous' work. I've even been entertaining ideas of podcasting and all that jazz, too.

Offline KingOfHumans

• Always Watching
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2015, 05:19:38 PM »
When GU started, you advertised on AGN. With the anger some members felt towards AGN, and having so many AGN friends, it wasn't that hard to transfer over to GU.
Lierox advertised itself.

"I''ve even spoken IRL with Guardian, SDG, JoeFalco, and M-BASS over the years, to get their opinions on what we COULD do."
Does we mean they will do the work? Or does it just mean they are throwing out ideas that they won't do either.

If they are doing the work, then yes, you can criticize me just for throwing out ideas and not helping. Otherwise, I'm just one of those WE's

At this point in time there is no one to blame. There's no one to work with(unless if there's things going on behind the scenes) either.
All we can do is either throw out ideas that inspire someone else. OR wait for one of us to really be inspired to try something for GU.

Offline MasterOfHyrule

• I am the King!
  • GU Reporter
  • Redeemed
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Videos
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2015, 05:52:31 PM »
Just popping out of no where here....

Any way of just creating a basic site... Let the site create itself... Take little by little and just grow..  In like One Week you can gain a tons of views with ideas I have flowing in my head...

I have an idea fora  gaming site except I lack coding knowledge...   Let's just say... the website isn't about you, it's not about your featured content but you will of course have your own featured content cause every site needs to do their output...  It's all about the fans, the customers, the people viewing the website...  That's the key.

Feature their content, make them feel happy, word of mouth will get around, more views obtained.    Also a voting system so they can vote up the best stories of the day in which the best content will stay up on the front page for a bit longer.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2015, 09:41:03 PM »
I'm going to start this post off right by apologizing. I should have made it clear before that I wasn't talking directly about you, KoH. Everyone that still visits the site COULD do something to help.

At this point in time there is no one to blame. There's no one to work with(unless if there's things going on behind the scenes) either.
All we can do is either throw out ideas that inspire someone else. OR wait for one of us to really be inspired to try something for GU.
This is untrue. We could also actually DO something. I've got a full plate that I'm trying to work around to actually do something for GU, instead of expecting someone else to do it. I muself don't have the time to do all the constant research that pulling the Reporter initiative out of the garbage. There is just too much work to do with that between going through various news sites to get the info, preparing each article, and posting them. I don't have the setup necessary to do any decent video, either. This is why I was looking for volunteers. I can't do everything to bring this site back up. However, advertising, as you claim is the problem is not going to work. At present, we HAVE nothing to advertise.

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2015, 10:20:48 PM »
I'll confess, I was one of those members who volunteered his reviews for GU. The thing was, I felt too lazy to change the reviews to meet Sophia's requirements (out of 5 stars, screenshots). It wasn't a lot to ask for, but I was just a little lazy about it. Plus, (I think) I was in school at the time. Now, I'm working. Oh boy.

But yeah, we need content before we can advertise anything. I've had, on multiple forums, a link to the GU in my sig for years. I really doubt it's brought us anybody. IMO, we need to first settle on the ideas we're going to use... at least starting points. Start using them, creating content, then build on it. I'm sorry if that was said before.

Yet, without content, we're as helpless as a fish against the tide.
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2015, 04:52:42 AM »
Even if you're reiterating something someone else has said, it's nice to see more people actually involved. That shows more people actually CARE.

And there are fish that fight the tide and wins. No, don't quote me on that. I really don't want GU equated to fish. It would make me crave seafood more often -_-

The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  Discussion  |  Moving forward - New Ideas

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.098 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx