gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484219 Posts in 28368 Topics by 2466 Members - Latest Member: Second Channel April 22, 2018, 02:44:10 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  Discussion  |  Moving forward - New Ideas
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Moving forward - New Ideas  (Read 8819 times)

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
Moving forward - New Ideas
« on: October 08, 2014, 06:34:44 PM »
Ok, so it's been a while since I did much of anything for GU, and I need to occupy my mind anyway (long story, don't really wanna get into it right now).

The GU Reporter rging kinda flopped because I took too long working on the main page part of it, and Sophia seems to have lost interest in participating (can I really blame her?). As a result, we have the options of looking over that particular idea and deciding what exactly we want to cover in GU Reporter, as far as what types of articles to write, technologies, etc etc.

We also have other venues we can explore to increase traffic here at GU. I will make it clear now. We are not blocking any project hosting whatsoever. On the other hand, in the past we depended too much on the projects to fuel the site, and as a result of that and some of the personality ttypes that were drawn in...well, here we are. I know Zeo wanted to do something with competitions. I dunno what, exactly, but if he's still floating around and wants to do that, we can discuss what exactly he had in mind. Any other ideas will be considered if put forward.

The only thing that will not be considered is something that requires some sort of subscription (in any form). Obviously, if we run game competitions that use subscriptions, that would be a requirement to participate in that particular competition, but I don't think Zeo had anything planned that would be on any MMOs, so meh.

Discuss. Suggest. Don't flame people or their ideas.

And by the way, I won't be doing much if anything with these ideas till after next week, most likely. I can assure you that my infamous moodiness will be worse next week. October 13th is the first year anniversary.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 06:37:05 PM by Rowan »
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
  • Take me back to the Mother Ship!
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
Re: Moving forward - New Ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 09:41:26 AM »
I still say it would be helpful to bring the project forums (regardless of their status) out of The Archives.  They'll feel less mothballed and may encourage people to contribute.  Even if the DEV left the project incomplete, someone else may want to take it up.

Am I wrong?
Read my novel, The Death Doll:
Paperback, eBook, or Audible

Latest Fight Comix Release:
2018 JANUARY 22
Episode 208: Filler: Mission Brief 3 (Part 2 of 4)!

Offline KingOfHumans

• Always Watching
  • Messiah
  • Here today, gone tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 02:21:45 PM »
Other then project Aura, I'd rather not even see the projects even in an archive, rather it be completely hidden.

Too many archives makes the place look dead.
Didn't Zeo want to do competitions with actual prizes? If you want people to just check out GU, this would be a guaranteed to work and would get GU some publicity. You'd just have to find something to keep them here.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 12:43:15 AM »
I'm not against doing prizes. I'm just not going to pay for most of them at the least myself. I have a budget that prevents that.

As for the archived projects...I've been thinking about making webpages dedicated to them and removing them from the forum altogether, other than the one that I know could be possible future endeavors on someone's part. It's pointless to keep the SnDO boards around forever. That community left. Project Aura, to my knowledge was finished before inori disappeared on us. Open Zelda is a maybe, as are Z2E and NG4. Alpro lost the source to Devilcrag, and GU Fighter is rather weak as a fighter engine in its current state. Those that do get cut will still have the project pages to show they existed in whatever form, however. Things like that can spark ideas and possibly new projects.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 08:40:33 AM »
But all the posts will be gone?  All the artwork and discussion?

2018 JANUARY 22

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 09:55:34 AM »
Any artwork that's still present will be saved, but yes, the posts will be lost.  It's just like it would have been for the entire site if we'd done what OL wanted to do with the Phoenix Project. Burn everything down to start anew. The spirit of the projects is not lost. We will have the project pages in place and fine tuned long before anything gets deleted. I'm not doing this out of spite. We just don't have any activity going on in them, and I feel there's little point in keeping some of that stuff around when there's nothing to be gained from it. I've already got a lot of artwork saved on my external hard drive from various projects because they were attachments back when we were still on vB, and I preserved most if not all of them as a just in case measure.

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 03:43:20 PM »
I won't have access to that site (NG4, GUF) nor any idea how to amend it if I did.  It would feel like a lot of work gone.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:46:09 PM by Guardian »

2018 JANUARY 22

Offline KingOfHumans

• Always Watching
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 09:54:03 PM »
It's not archived yet, why not just go through all the posts then and gather anything necessary.

I don't care about any of the old OZ files. Any decent, I still have(for now, but still won't care if it I lose everything completely).

Offline xainy

• Moe~
  • Scholar
  • can't find the exit...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 10:45:28 PM »
I won't have access to that site (NG4, GUF) nor any idea how to amend it if I did.  It would feel like a lot of work gone.

It's not archived yet, why not just go through all the posts then and gather anything necessary.

Or go through each page and use FireShot [or similar] to screenshot them all? I'm sure there are addons out there that'll save all the attachments for you automatically as well but I don't know any off the top of my head.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 04:11:40 PM »

How will you not have access to the project pages I'm talking about making? They'd be on the same server you visit now. And I already said NG4 isn't getting thrown out anyway. GUF is a broken machine. It needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. A new storyline included.

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 02:53:41 PM »
Oh.  I have the materials; I just wanted them to remain available for everyone else.  I just don't know how to use your webmakers or do the HTML I'd need ... or have a password (that's Mottz' area and we don't really chat much anymore).  Nightmare's working GUF like you said: from the ground up.  I guess I'm worrying for nothing.

2018 JANUARY 22

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 06:38:37 PM »
The only things guaranteed to be lost with any project board are the posts. SMF saves attachments as files instead of inside the database like vB did. I'm not getting rid of those. As for important information (like the tutorial that was put together for making a GUF character, as an example), that will be put into the project page(s) so that it isn't lost. This will not be an overnight thing. A lot of stuff will be gone over when the time comes to decide what gets axed and what gets saved. Graphics packs can be made for those projects that would use them, so that it cannot be lost.

Offline Guardian

• The Power of Crazy!
  • Owner
  • Higher Power
    • View Profile
    • Guardian's Lair
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 08:01:00 PM »
Well, there goes my post count! lol
Okay, we'll see what we'll see.

2018 JANUARY 22

Offline KingOfHumans

• Always Watching
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 09:55:51 PM »
It will be ok, guardian. We all lose our post count every now and then.

edit:

Notice: SSI.php was unable to load a session! This may cause problems with logout and other functions - please make sure SSI.php is included before *anything* else in all your scripts! in /home/thegamin/public_html/forum/SSI.php on line 170

^ I had this error on the front page for the longest time now
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 03:28:57 AM by KingOfHumans »

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 01:57:02 PM »
I don't see that error, KoH. Try refreshing your cache and take a screenshot if it still pops up.

The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  Discussion  |  Moving forward - New Ideas

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.206 seconds with 19 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx