gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
483919 Posts in 28349 Topics by 2463 Members - Latest Member: Gobers November 20, 2017, 09:31:15 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Museum  |  Role Playing World  |  New D&D?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New D&D?  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
New D&D?
« on: July 09, 2014, 07:07:25 PM »
So I have been following a "Tabletop roleplaying" group on Google+ for a while now, and today I saw mention of D&D that seemed like it was about a new ruleset. Several months ago, I'd also heard rumor that a 5th Edition was in the works. So I went to wizards.com and investigated. There's apparently a pdf for free download, and the "Starter Set" comes out the 15th of this month, and the Player's Handbook and DMG come put in August and November, respectively.

Anyone actually interested in this?
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Aliem

• Ț̼͍̩̹̥̞̩̖͝ ̺̰̟͝s̸҉̜̜̘̥̥̤̬͓͔̰͔̩ͅ ̴̡̭̪͍͇̕c̦̀̀͡ͅ&
  • Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
Re: New D&D?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 07:15:38 PM »
Not really.  When I do play, and it's very rare, 3.5 is fine.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 09:55:56 PM »
In all honesty, they made it even worse with 3.5 than their half baked attempt at simplifying the rules in 4th. The rules were never made to be a Holy Bible, they're supposed to be a foundation. I'm downloading the 100 page free pdf just to see what it's like this iteration.

My RP group never uses all the rules....we rarely even use dice (Bellum Umbra was lucky I did the same; if I'd rolled for saves and damage in that gas trap, I'm fairly certain all the applicable rules would have killed or horribly maimed the whole party)
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Lethes

• courage
  • Executive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 05:44:46 PM »
My older brother played a lot of d&d but me not so much. I've played it a couple of times with my friends and had a great time though. Wouldn't mind finding a few friends who actually play.
face your fears

Offline Magi_Hero

• Accepted
  • :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 10:49:34 AM »
The only time I played was a small part of a campaign. We were using 4th and allegedly 4th sucks. It seems pretty easy with an organized character sheet though.

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 07:48:44 PM »
I prefer Pathfinder. It's 3.5 on crack. :P
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 11:34:56 AM »
As I implied before, I didn't really enjoy 3.5. We tolerated the drastic changes that it brought, but there were things (like the languages you knew) that I always had issues figuring out.

Back to 5th edition, I never got around to reading that pdf, but I do have it saved somewhere. Trying to change jobs (AND city of residence in the process), so it'll probably be a minute

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 01:29:38 PM »
Have you tried Pathfinder? Because IT DOES make 3.5 look like "why did I ever play that?" type of game.
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 03:59:48 PM »
No, but it is spoken of often in the Google+ tabletop roleplaying community I have added. You should join it, if you use G+ at all.
https://plus.google.com/communities/107422815813208456454

[Edit] I found this blog series by someone that was apparently in the playtesting period. Might be an interesting read, which I just started.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 04:10:54 PM by Rowan »

Offline xainy

• Moe~
  • Scholar
  • can't find the exit...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 07:11:11 PM »
I almost got Pathfinder from a Kickstarter. I was going to get it for Christmas last year for my brother who DMs D&D games. He moved away from his tabletop friends, though, and pretty much just plays MtG now.
Today he moved in with my boyfriend and I so maybe I'll get it for him this year and we can play it. :P

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 06:48:12 PM »
I've been reading that blog I shared, and I think I'm gonna like some of the stuff they've done with 5th edition, like the Advantages/Disadvantages. But we'll see.

As for Pathfinder, I will see about looking at it at some point, as well.

The Gaming Universe  |  General  |  The Museum  |  Role Playing World  |  New D&D?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.194 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx