gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
483856 Posts in 28345 Topics by 2463 Members - Latest Member: Gobers October 19, 2017, 02:22:01 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  News  |  New GU logo
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New GU logo  (Read 5464 times)

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
Re: New GU logo
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 11:35:03 AM »
I like the first one. I like it a lot. And please tell me you're spending more time on commissions than on this.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline xainy

• Moe~
  • Scholar
  • can't find the exit...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 02:33:50 PM »
I like the first one. I like it a lot. And please tell me you're spending more time on commissions than on this.

Glad you like it! I do too. :)
I've spent maybe an hour or two total on this so far, so yessss. Much more time on commissions [I work on commissions 8+ hours per day]. Or the logo would already be done!

I'll try to get it done this week, though. Should have a lot of downtime since my boyfriend is going out of state for a few days to spend the 4th with his grandparents.

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 06:13:27 PM »
Lookin' good! (The first one. lol)
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline Lethes

• courage
  • Executive
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 05:31:40 AM »
woah xainy that looks awesome...
face your fears

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2014, 03:56:29 PM »
Take your time. You can't rush art. ;]
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline xainy

• Moe~
  • Scholar
  • can't find the exit...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 02:01:59 PM »
How's this? I used one of the basic Windows fonts so it's not super original, but I think it looks nice.

Rowan, I have a high res if you want it, but it's pretty huge. If you need me to resize anything, let me know.

There are a couple things I'm not sure I like about it, but I wasn't able to get them how I wanted with all my tweaking. I might still play with it a bit more to see if I can get it to look better, so if you have any suggestions for changes, let me know and I can see if I can implement them.

P.S. I didn't sample colors from the homepage so the dark parts of the logo might still be too bright and saturated. It looks good on lighter backgrounds but can be weird on darker backgrounds unless they're colored with this logo in mind. If I need to dull down the dark blue, I can do that.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 02:20:20 PM by xainy »

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2014, 05:51:44 AM »
I like it. If you want to keep tweaking it, you can. I'm thinking about trying a minor glow effect on it, just to see how that looks. You did a really good job with this :]

As for the high res, I prefer things being made rather big. You lose a lot of quality if you have to blow them up versus the other way around.

Offline xainy

• Moe~
  • Scholar
  • can't find the exit...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2014, 11:51:44 AM »
As for the high res, I prefer things being made rather big. You lose a lot of quality if you have to blow them up versus the other way around.

Yeah but I didn't know how big of one you'd actually need, haha. I'll email it to you if you PM me your email address. :)

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 04:07:46 PM »
A little test thingy I did real quick in Paint.NET

Offline Aliem

• Ț̼͍̩̹̥̞̩̖͝ ̺̰̟͝s̸҉̜̜̘̥̥̤̬͓͔̰͔̩ͅ ̴̡̭̪͍͇̕c̦̀̀͡ͅ&
  • Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 07:17:12 PM »
I find the inside too busy.  The space background looks like it'd clash against the otherwise simple and clean theme and I'm not wild about the giant G and U inside.

But if everyone else likes it, meh.

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 08:57:07 AM »
I think it looks great. :3
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 09:38:52 PM »
I like it too. It's tons better than the plain flat logos I keep seeing everywhere.
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

Offline xainy

• Moe~
  • Scholar
  • can't find the exit...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 10:41:44 PM »
Thanks guys, glad you like it! :3

Offline Lethes

• courage
  • Executive
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2014, 05:57:30 PM »
I find the inside too busy.  The space background looks like it'd clash against the otherwise simple and clean theme and I'm not wild about the giant G and U inside.

But if everyone else likes it, meh.
I have to agree about the GU inside. I think it would be great just to use the planet and ring to make out GU and leave the middle for space-debris.
face your fears

Offline xainy

• Moe~
  • Scholar
  • can't find the exit...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2014, 08:01:08 PM »
I think it would be great just to use the planet and ring to make out GU...

So do I, so I appreciate the sentiment. However, I tried and it's not as easy as you're making it out. If I could make a sufficient "GU" with just the planet, I would never have put the text inside it in the first place. It doesn't come out that apparent and my first concern was for people who didn't already know what the logo stood for.

If I take out the stars AND the letters, you have a very generic logo that could pretty much be for anything [try googling "planet logo" which is something I did when spending hours of time in research and design so that it wouldn't be too close to any other company's].

The stars can't even really be seen in the resize other than as spots of light that make the logo seem less flat and more like a shiny round button, which I think is good for a gaming site. The site isn't going to use a 900px logo so I don't think they're distracting/busy/gaudy enough to remove.
Also hate to say it, but a single planet isn't a universe, which is why I put the stars in there in the first place.

TL;DR, I hate to be a disappointment, but I don't have the skillset or the time/money to spend on it myself so I'm going to have to go with majority opinion on this. If more people come forward and ask me to remove the text and/or stars, I will do so. But I did my best and I made something I thought would look good. So far, more people seem to like it than hate it.

If you're looking for something more professional, I know a good website where you can get a logo+rights for about $300. You pay and several different skilled artists make logos for you, you get to choose the one you want. It's a nice site and probably the least expensive out there where you can get full use rights/etc. without finding a better artist than me that will do it for free. $300 is super cheap, actually, especially for getting several logos to choose from. If I had the money, that's what I would have done from the start tbh. Would have caused me way less stress, lol.

The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  News  |  New GU logo

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.145 seconds with 19 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx