gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
483856 Posts in 28345 Topics by 2463 Members - Latest Member: Gobers October 19, 2017, 02:25:03 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  News  |  New GU logo
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New GU logo  (Read 5465 times)

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
New GU logo
« on: March 15, 2014, 07:37:31 PM »
Ok, so it was brought up a while back that the logo Kratheous made for the new theme sucks. Glad I'm not the only person that dislikes it.

Now, your mission if you choose to accept it? Make a good logo. It does not have to include the Klingon Blade font.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Aliem

• Ț̼͍̩̹̥̞̩̖͝ ̺̰̟͝s̸҉̜̜̘̥̥̤̬͓͔̰͔̩ͅ ̴̡̭̪͍͇̕c̦̀̀͡ͅ&
  • Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
Re: New GU logo
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 07:55:15 PM »
It should not include the klingon blade font.  Kratheous' logo is on the right track, but a little too abstract.  It's supposed to be a G obscured in a planet with the U forming the ring.  If someone can make that look good (read: something a professional site would want to use, not something whipped up in five minutes), that'd be ideal.  Standards for this are going to be through-the-roof high.

Offline xainy

• Moe~
  • Scholar
  • can't find the exit...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 04:24:49 PM »
Since there's not been replies to this, I can maybe do the logo part if you guys want. I'm assuming I don't have to deal with the full text part, just the planet+GU?

I'm willing to show sketches and accept critique and do changes on it so it becomes something everyone likes. The thing is, if I'm gonna spend time out from my commissions to do it, I'm gonna be a little upset if it doesn't get used. :P

Offline Aliem

• Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 03:29:34 AM »
a stylization of the letters GU into an attractive logo would be ideal.  If that's not possible, and it is a tall order, a similar logo would be good.  Something simple and clean that gets the whole "video game community" thing across as cleanly as possible.  Something that could possibly be a console logo, like the super famicom buttons, Sony's PS logo, or Microsoft's Xbox logo.  As far as existing sites go, the only logo I'm particularly fond of is IGNs d-pad.
As far as pay goes, I can't speak for Rowan, but I'm on a reporter's salary.  If you expect a sizable paycheck, don't start until a contract of some kind is negotiated with Rowan.

Offline xainy

• Moe~
  • Scholar
  • can't find the exit...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 03:53:16 PM »
I didn't request pay, I just said I don't want to do the work and then have the logo rejected/unused in some way because it WILL take time out of my paid work to do something free for the site. Meaning I will essentially be paying for it myself. I don't mind doing it as long as I'm doing it for use and not for funzies. Logos take a long time and commercially go for hundreds of dollars because the rights are usually paid for. I'm willing to do this for free and give up the rights as well.

Incorporating the GU letters would be fine, I just meant on the front page, it's the logo next to "The Gaming Universe" and I don't want to be responsible for that text in case it's part of the logo. I'm sure it's probably not, I'm just sayin.

I'll do a few prelim sketches and see what you guys think before I go whole hog on it. If no one likes what I come up with, no harm no foul.

Edit: I'm not trying to come off demanding or anything so sorry if it seems that way. I don't mind if you guys would rather I not do something, I just thought I'd offer since no one else seems to be doing much with it. Apologies if that's the wrong assumption, but no one has replied to this post so...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 05:29:27 PM by xainy »

Offline Aliem

• Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 01:16:59 AM »
Ahh, gotcha.

And yeah the text isn't part of the design.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 03:10:02 PM »
We currently don't HAVE an official logo. You don't even have to restrict yourself to the controller thing. See what you can think of, and we can work from there.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline xainy

• Moe~
  • Scholar
  • can't find the exit...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 04:24:22 AM »
Did some sketches tonight. Working on thinking up more logo concepts but it's 3am and I'm tired, so I might as well show you guys what I've come up with so far. Thoughts?

I like them okay, I just don't really think that they get the letters across well at the moment. I can keep tweaking them. The ones on the right are controllers [hopefully obviously]. I didn't really like wrapping the cable all the way around the logo because the design gets lost in it, but trailing it off into nothing isn't great either. Even still, the simplest one is kind of my favorite right now. It's pretty straight forward.

The colors are just random pretty much, to contrast the logos from the white background.

Anywho, going to bed.

Offline Aliem

• Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 11:53:35 AM »
I really like the first one.  That's pretty much what I've had in mind for a long time.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 10:39:56 AM »
I like it, too ;]

Offline xainy

• Moe~
  • Scholar
  • can't find the exit...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 04:05:43 PM »
I really like the first one.  That's pretty much what I've had in mind for a long time.
I like it, too ;]

My only issue with it is that the U looks like it comes before the G. It doesn't look as good with the ring coming out the right side, though. I'll keep fiddling with it, but I'll go ahead with that design since you guys like it the best.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 07:16:22 PM »
Perhaps there's a way to incorporate aming and niverse so that it all makes sense? Just an idea, It doesn't have to happen

Offline Aliem

• Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 08:21:52 PM »
in looking again, the middle one is pretty fucking rad...  They're all good, I'm torn between the first and second.

Offline xainy

• Moe~
  • Scholar
  • can't find the exit...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 06:58:55 AM »
Perhaps there's a way to incorporate aming and niverse so that it all makes sense? Just an idea, It doesn't have to happen

When are you going to be using it that it won't be next to "The Gaming Universe" anyway, like it is on the current homepage? I just figured that text could be a separate thing in case you wanted just the logo or just the words at any point. If I do add "aming" and "niverse" it'll end up looking really convoluted and crowded unless I go the route that "The Gaming Universe" text IS the logo and there is no picture [see Nascar, Linksys, Pizza Hut, Canon, Calvin Klein etc.] or, in the case of the first example, I could type "The Gaming Universe" on the ring the U makes. It's a lot of text to incorporate into a logo, though.

And in either case, I don't really have the skills to make a custom font for this site [something that is basically required for familiarity in text logos] and I'm not going to pay to use a commercial font, so if you can find a free for commercial use font that you like, I could possibly look at doing something with that.

Edit: ehhhh I kind of just thought of a way I might be able to make it work. We'll see.

in looking again, the middle one is pretty fucking rad...  They're all good, I'm torn between the first and second.

The middle one makes me think about boobs. I don't know why it makes me think about boobs more than the last one, but it does. Maybe it's the highlights.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 07:01:46 AM by xainy »

Offline xainy

• Moe~
  • Scholar
  • can't find the exit...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 07:42:22 AM »
Something like this? I still like the one with just letters more than the one with all the words. Buuuut it's not my site.

P.S. I just wrote this in my handwriting instead of using a font, so it'd be more uniform and pretty in the final.

The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  News  |  New GU logo

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.148 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx